Dealing with trauma

Fether

It is interesting how one 30 second event can change so much. Prior to July 4 of this year, I loved dogs and rarely got nervous around them. If a giant Rottweiler charged me, my natural reaction would be “oh good boy! You wanna play!?”

Well 2 months ago a co-worker is mine asked me to watch his 2 Pit-bulls. Now I use to love pits, I had a neighbor growing up that had 2 wonderful pits that I enjoyed playing with. I met them and I took them for a walk. Everything was fine. For the next two days I went over and made sure they were fed and taken care of. Well on the third day, 4th of July, I walked in as usual, but this time they were freaking out more. I got to the middle of the house and one of them bit my on the leg. Was not a major bite at all considering what a pit is known for doing, no blood was even drawn, but I knew I needed out. Well that first bite signaled to the other out that biting was now an option and she started biting at my feet. I ended having to fight my way out as I jumped around them and pushed my way to the door. It clicked for me later that they were probably in a little panic mode due to fire works having gone off throughout the day.

Now... two months later, I still can’t fall asleep at night without playing those events back in my mind. My anxiety jumps whenever I hear a dog. I use to be able to walk into my aunt’s house just fine, but I can’t get myself to do it due to her tiny Schnauzer barking. I will likely try and see a counselor here soon for help.

To me, the whole thing is silly, it was not a dog attack by any means, no scar,  I am completely fine and I have a sweet story to tell and an awesome bruise picture I can pass around to prove it... But I am completely unable to be around dogs now. Had anyone else every dealt with this? What techniques have you used to get over trauma like this?

24 minutes ago, Fether said:

It is interesting how one 30 second event can change so much. Prior to July 4 of this year, I loved dogs and rarely got nervous around them. If a giant Rottweiler charged me, my natural reaction would be “oh good boy! You wanna play!?”

Well 2 months ago a co-worker is mine asked me to watch his 2 Pit-bulls. Now I use to love pits, I had a neighbor growing up that had 2 wonderful pits that I enjoyed playing with. I met them and I took them for a walk. Everything was fine. For the next two days I went over and made sure they were fed and taken care of. Well on the third day, 4th of July, I walked in as usual, but this time they were freaking out more. I got to the middle of the house and one of them bit my on the leg. Was not a major bite at all considering what a pit is known for doing, no blood was even drawn, but I knew I needed out. Well that first bite signaled to the other out that biting was now an option and she started biting at my feet. I ended having to fight my way out as I jumped around them and pushed my way to the door. It clicked for me later that they were probably in a little panic mode due to fire works having gone off throughout the day.

Now... two months later, I still can’t fall asleep at night without playing those events back in my mind. My anxiety jumps whenever I hear a dog. I use to be able to walk into my aunt’s house just fine, but I can’t get myself to do it due to her tiny Schnauzer barking. I will likely try and see a counselor here soon for help.

To me, the whole thing is silly, it was not a dog attack by any means, no scar,  I am completely fine and I have a sweet story to tell and an awesome bruise picture I can pass around to prove it... But I am completely unable to be around dogs now. Had anyone else every dealt with this? What techniques have you used to get over trauma like this?

I’m currently reading “The Body Keeps the Score”.  So far, I’d recommend it.

27 minutes ago, Fether said:

But I am completely unable to be around dogs now. Had anyone else every dealt with this? What techniques have you used to get over trauma like this?

I haven't, but I have many people in my life who have grappled at dealing with trauma of various kinds.  A few things they (and the literature) tells me:

- The brain can take time to process this stuff.  Sometimes it needs to 'bounce around' in your brain a while before it finds its way to your long term memory.  Can't make it happen faster than it'll happen.  

- Verbalizing helps.  Not just typing it out, but putting the story into your voice box and sending them out your mouth.  Not reading from a script, but putting your thoughts/memories/feelings into real audible words.

- Support helps.  Especially when the support has had something similar happen.  Exactly like what you're searching for here on this thread.  

You got this Fether.  Give it 48 hours, then a week, then a month.  Tell us how you're progressing through it.

About two years ago, my then 72-year-old mother was run over by a snow plow. Yes, a snow plow.  Not the type that plow the city roads, but the ones you call to plow your driveway after a heavy snowfall.  Given her age, it’s a miracle she did not sustain any broken bones, let alone survive.  However, she now cringes whenever she hears the sound of a snow plow backing up.

Guest MormonGator
3 hours ago, Fether said:

To me, the whole thing is silly,

No it isn't, it's totally legit you feel this way @Fether. I'm a big pit bull guy, my beloved Jaina is a pit and if I went through what you did, I'm not sure what I'd do. 

I know of someone who was afraid of flying until they researched how planes work, plane crashes, pilots, etc. The more they learned, the less they had to fear. You said yourself that you weren't afraid of dogs. Could this just be a momentary blip? If it gets to be very serious, there is no shame whatsoever in talking with a therapist who specializes in fear and anxiety. 

Keep me posted brother, I'm praying for you. 

21 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

there is no shame whatsoever in talking with a therapist who specializes in fear and anxiety. 

Thanks, I’m pretty comfortable with the idea of going to therapists. I think everyone regardless of how they feel should go. They are incredible.

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Fether said:

Thanks, I’m pretty comfortable with the idea of going to therapists. I think everyone regardless of how they feel should go. They are incredible.

Oh I totally agree. 

@Fether, what you're experiencing isn't "silly" at all.

Your body has an adrenaline  fight-or-flight response for a reason: to keep you safe.  On July 4th, your body had that response kick in, and it served you well (no major injuries to you).  Our bodies don't forget scary situations like that: this is a base self-protection instinct that Heavenly Father hard-wired in there.  It's not remotely "silly".

Now, obviously it served you well on the 4th, but now we need to adjust to a current danger level (which is rather non-existent).   Having been through traumatic experiences, I will say that:

-- one ingredient is time.  You can't "think" out of an intinstictal response.   Give it time.  

--When you hear a dog bark or another trigger, just let that response flow through: yes, you're on alert, and then let the "all clear" response come naturally too.  Let your body work through things.  

-- Talking through what you're feeling will help your body work it out as well.

-- If its' still bugging you in a few months, a little therapy is an downright amazing thing (I see from previous posts you're already good with that idea).