Why is our responsibility to report different than bishop's?

carlimac

I finally got around to going through the "Training for Protection of Children ..."  presentation today. Most of it was pretty straight forward and expected. But I'm confused on one part. It says that if we as leaders see signs of abuse or neglect we should go to the authorities right away. But if the bishop is informed or suspects abuse, rather than going straight to the authorities, he should counsel with the stake president first. so why is the bishop's duty in reporting different than the random ward member or leader? Why wouldn't we counsel with the bishop first before alerting police or social services?

1 hour ago, carlimac said:

I finally got around to going through the "Training for Protection of Children ..."  presentation today. Most of it was pretty straight forward and expected. But I'm confused on one part. It says that if we as leaders see signs of abuse or neglect we should go to the authorities right away. But if the bishop is informed or suspects abuse, rather than going straight to the authorities, he should counsel with the stake president first. so why is the bishop's duty in reporting different than the random ward member or leader? Why wouldn't we counsel with the bishop first before alerting police or social services?

It has something to do with the laws. From what i understand, Most clergymen of any religion are not allowed to testify in court against someone who spoke to them in confidentiality. A father in the Catholic Church cannot report a crime confessed to him for repentance purposes.

My recollection of the training was that those in the bishopric (bishop and counselors only) are to call the Church's abuse hotline. The hotline connects bishopric with social workers and lawyers who consult on the legal issues specific to the jurisdiction of the local ward. 

The lawyers will discuss whether the bishopric has clergy-penitent privilege and ask if the bishopric can or wants to waive it in this case. It is the clergy-penitent privilege that is at the heart of the difference. The only leaders who have that privilege are the bishop and his counselors.

My understanding is that it isn't so much that a Catholic priest can't report a crime that is confessed to him, but that he doesn't have to. Depending on local law, of course. And there could be legal implications of waiving that privilege.