Spam

Guest Mores

I've noticed that people are able to barely open an account and send spam via PM through Third hour.  I've received spam in this fashion.  

Since you make it a policy to review all new posters posts for the first little while before their first few posts are visible, would you be able make the same policy work with PMs?  Don't let them PM for the first week after their first three posts are approved?

1 minute ago, Mores said:

I've noticed that people are able to barely open an account and send spam via PM through Third hour.  I've received spam in this fashion.  

Since you make it a policy to review all new posters posts for the first little while before their first few posts are visible, would you be able make the same policy work with PMs?  Don't let them PM for the first week after their first three posts are approved?

I had a “young woman” message me a sob story about her life and request money.

I can not answer the question about limiting PMs... That is above my pay grade.

I do know that posts from new users have to be approved by the Mods, but there can be issues with making PMs subject to Mod approval, so someone else above me will need to make that call.

I do know that PMs can be reported to the mods just like posts can be.  And I know we have ways of dealing with SPAMMERs once we become aware of them.  So until/unless changes are made the best course of action is to report all content you find to be questionable.  And then let us deal with them

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2019 at 10:56 AM, estradling75 said:

I can not answer the question about limiting PMs... That is above my pay grade.

I do know that posts from new users have to be approved by the Mods, but there can be issues with making PMs subject to Mod approval, so someone else above me will need to make that call.

I do know that PMs can be reported to the mods just like posts can be.  And I know we have ways of dealing with SPAMMERs once we become aware of them.  So until/unless changes are made the best course of action is to report all content you find to be questionable.  And then let us deal with them

I'm going to try to clarify something, because this response indicates that the message was misinterpreted.

CURRENTLY: The ability to post a new thread is disabled for any new members.  They have to go through an assessment process before that function is turned on.

PROPOSITION: Disable the ability of new posters to send PMs until they have gone through the same process.  Once that assessment is complete, and the new member is approved, turn on that function for the new member.

This DOES NOT MEAN that mods need to view the PMs.  I'm saying, don't even offer that functionality to the new member until after the assessment.

13 minutes ago, Mores said:

I'm going to try to clarify something, because this response indicates that the message was misinterpreted.

CURRENTLY: The ability to post a new thread is disabled for any new members.  They have to go through an assessment process before that function is turned on.

PROPOSITION: Disable the ability of new posters to send PMs until they have gone through the same process.  Once that assessment is complete, and the new member is approved, turn on that function for the new member.

This DOES NOT MEAN that mods need to view the PMs.  I'm saying, don't even offer that functionality to the new member until after the assessment.

I understood you clearly..   Since you brought the topic up my post was to let everyone know how the system currently works and what they can and should do currently.

As for your proposition it sounds reasonable.. but again it is above my pay grade.  Those that can will respond or not as they think best.

17 hours ago, estradling75 said:

I understood you clearly..   Since you brought the topic up my post was to let everyone know how the system currently works and what they can and should do currently.

As for your proposition it sounds reasonable.. but again it is above my pay grade.  Those that can will respond or not as they think best.

You should've asked 3H to pay you then you'll have a pay-grade.  :)