Nicotine products and the Word of Wisdom

I'm not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I want to state that first, since there's no bishop I could talk. 

I've smoked over 15 years, and I'm heavily addicted to nicotine. Not happy with it, but stupid choices were made, and here we are. The Word of Wisdom forbids smoking, for obvious reasons, but how about nicotine products like nicotine gum? The church web page states "When people purposefully take anything harmful into their bodies, they are not living in harmony with the Word of Wisdom.", which just made my question more complex, at least for me. 

So, what do you think? Is it against the Word of Wisdom to use nicotine products, if the reason is to treat addiction? If there would be a doctors order, they would be counted as a medicine, and they would be okay, right? How about in the situation where one doesn't want to pay the doctors fee? 

Thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, mvs said:

I'm not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I want to state that first, since there's no bishop I could talk. 

I've smoked over 15 years, and I'm heavily addicted to nicotine. Not happy with it, but stupid choices were made, and here we are. The Word of Wisdom forbids smoking, for obvious reasons, but how about nicotine products like nicotine gum? The church web page states "When people purposefully take anything harmful into their bodies, they are not living in harmony with the Word of Wisdom.", which just made my question more complex, at least for me. 

So, what do you think? Is it against the Word of Wisdom to use nicotine products, if the reason is to treat addiction? If there would be a doctors order, they would be counted as a medicine, and they would be okay, right? How about in the situation where one doesn't want to pay the doctors fee? 

Thanks in advance!

I don’t know for sure and it would be something to take up with a bishop should you have one. But the principle of the word of wisdom would say it is ok to use to get off of an addiction. but should it REPLACE the smoking, then you would no longer be in line with the word of wisdom. 

Guest MormonGator

@Fether is exactly right. You can use nicotine gum to stop smoking, but then you have to cut back on nicotine gum too. Good luck my friend. I'm a former smoker and I know what a pain it is to quit. Just keep trying!!!! 

Nicotene - addictive, yes.  Harmful? Dunno.  Here you get to bring a little personal perspective into things.  For some folks, anything addictive is harmful, addictions are harmful, no matter what other properties the addictive substance has.   For other folks, if the only negative aspect of a substance is that you want more of it, that doesn't reach the bar of 'harmful' to them.

You get to make up your own mind here.  

Smoking tobacco products is absolutely harmful, no legitimate argument exists to the contrary.  Lung cancer, shorter lifespan, a whole host of negative medical impacts.  I'm with Gator - if you're weaning yourself off of smoking, with nicotene gum, then that's a step in the right direction.  

16 hours ago, mvs said:

Thanks in advance!

You have not posted anything about your personal beliefs other than you are not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Never-the-less, I will offer a little advice under the assumption that you already believe in a loving, compassionate, merciful and incredibly intelligent G-d.  Regardless, even if you do not believe in a G-d - I suggest you consider a little experiment and exercise a little bit of faith.  Try connecting with G-d about this nicotine thing.  This is the experiment.  Each morning, first thing when you wake up kneel beside your bed and attempt a little prayer to G-d.  Address him as your father - you can say "My dear Father" or just "Father in heaven" or whatever else you feel is right.  Then begin by expressing thanks - if for nothing else - for justs being alive.  Then ask for help - but do so with a promise on your part.  Explain to him what you have concluded so far about nicotine and express a desire to understand his opinion in the matter.  Lastly, openly share with him your plan for the day and how you plan to deal with nicotine (but just for this day).  And ask him for his approval to your plan and to help you accomplish it.  Then you close your prayer in the name of Jesus Christ.  (if you like you may say "Amen").  Then go about your day.

At the end of your day, just before you go to bed - kneel again attempt another little prayer to G-d - Just as you did in the morning.  But this time after you have addressed him as Father and expressed thanks - just give a little report of how your day when with your plan to deal with nicotine - be honest and open about ever little success or failure.  Also express your feelings with it all - even if you could use a little more help - or anything you learned throughout the day as to what worked or did not work. - Then conclude your prayer and go to bed.  Do this for 2 weeks.

If you like keep a little journal and wright down thought and feelings during the two weeks.  At the end of two week - evaluate your little experiment to determine if you received any divine input and help.  Determine for yourself working with G-d is useful or not.  If you conclude this is a good thing - you may want to extend this experiment beyond nicotine to other things in your life - that is to live day by day and learn by promises and prayers with G-d.

The Traveler

On 9/22/2019 at 4:57 PM, mvs said:

I've smoked over 15 years, and I'm heavily addicted to nicotine. 

That is all we need to consider.  Do you enjoy being addicted to ANYthing?  Do you believe that is a healthy way to live (mentally, emotionally, and spiritually as well as physically)?

Some people can use vaping to ween themselves off of cigarettes.  And some people see success with it.  Others only get more addicted.  Which one will you be?

Edited by Mores

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Mores said:

That is all we need to consider.  Do you enjoy being addicted to ANYthing?  Do you believe that is a healthy way to live (mentally, emotionally, and spiritually as well as physically)?

I don't think any addict enjoys it. From nicotine to heroin. In fact, that's a big sign that you have a problem. When you no longer enjoy drinking, cocaine, etc-you do it because it feels bad when you don't do it rather than feeling good when you do. 😟

IF you are using Nicotine gum (or the patch) to quit smoking I say Great, just know that it continues the actual addition it just gets rid of the habit of smoking.

In 1986 I quit smoking - cold turkey, it was one of the hardest things I have ever done, I did start going through at least 1 box of TicTacs a day for the first couple months (do they even still sell TicTacs?)

Just know that as long as you don't dwell on them the urges to smoke do go away and it gets less and less over time, however my doctor told me and he was correct, that for as long as I smoked, thats how many years I would still get cravings. (of course the longer it was the less frequest and strong they were).

Good Luck.

1 hour ago, mnn2501 said:

IF you are using Nicotine gum (or the patch) to quit smoking I say Great, just know that it continues the actual addition it just gets rid of the habit of smoking.

In 1986 I quit smoking - cold turkey, it was one of the hardest things I have ever done, I did start going through at least 1 box of TicTacs a day for the first couple months (do they even still sell TicTacs?)

Just know that as long as you don't dwell on them the urges to smoke do go away and it gets less and less over time, however my doctor told me and he was correct, that for as long as I smoked, thats how many years I would still get cravings. (of course the longer it was the less frequest and strong they were).

Good Luck.

You mean if someone smokes for twenty years they will crave it for 20 more if they decide to quit?!? That's tough. 🤪

17 hours ago, Alemmedial said:

You mean if someone smokes for twenty years they will crave it for 20 more if they decide to quit?!? That's tough. 🤪

It depends on the person.  My husband smoked a pack a day for 2 years.  He met me.  I told him I don't like smokers.  He threw away his cigarette right then and there and has never touched the stuff since.  The guy has the willpower of an ocean wave.

53 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

It depends on the person.  My husband smoked a pack a day for 2 years.  He met me.  I told him I don't like smokers.  He threw away his cigarette right then and there and has never touched the stuff since.  The guy has the willpower of an ocean wave.

I never touched it again either, but that doesn't mean you don't get a craving.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

My father-in-law walked away from cigarettes without a second thought when he got baptized. He also gave up coffee, no problem. But giving up his Iron City Beer was a real sacrifice. Not long before he died, he told me that it was the one thing he gave up that he missed. I wonder if Iron City Beer might qualify in the resurrected life as wine?

Just now, Vort said:

My father-in-law walked away from cigarettes without a second thought when he got baptized. He also gave up coffee, no problem. But giving up his Iron City Beer was a real sacrifice. Not long before he died, he told me that it was the one thing he gave up that he missed. I wonder if Iron City Beer might qualify in the resurrected life as wine?

If in the next conference, Pres. Nelson will announce a change in the WOW to prohibit watching football on TV, my husband is in trouble..

Guest MormonGator
4 hours ago, Vort said:

Everyone is different. I know of people who smoke cigarettes who are desperate to quit and have begged and pleaded with God to take their cravings away. Same with addicts of harder drugs too. Addiction is complicated. 

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Everyone is different. I know of people who smoke cigarettes who are desperate to quit and have begged and pleaded with God to take their cravings away. Same with addicts of harder drugs too. Addiction is complicated. 

Cravings are something you have to work through. Sadly with smoking I did it to myself - but I survived.

Actions have consequences. 

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, mnn2501 said:

Actions have consequences. 

They do, and you are accountable for what you've done. 

But my heart still breaks for anyone struggling with the disease of addiction. 

On 9/26/2019 at 9:16 AM, anatess2 said:

If in the next conference, Pres. Nelson will announce a change in the WOW to prohibit watching football on TV, my husband is in trouble..

Maybe not - most games can be streamed on a smartphone.  I have always been under the impression that ladies are not so interested in football - but there are a lot of ladies at church with eyes glued to their phones - what else could there possibly be for looking at a phone on the Sabbath?

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I have always been under the impression that ladies are not so interested in football

That's sort of an aging cliche. More and more women are into sports in 2019. 

• 5 weeks later...

When I was on my mission, we were teaching a family and the father asked about having to stop drinking beer. He said he didn't drink it often and he didn't  have an addiction, nor was he an alcoholic. I said, "Yes, that's probably true, but you will be a role model for your children, and you don't know if they will end up struggling with it."  It was one of those moments when I know the Holy Ghost was prompting me to say what he needed to hear.  They were baptized a week later.