A Response to President Nelson's Address at BYU

Anddenex

33 minutes ago, laronius said:

The problem with this therapist's approach is she can only be right in her belief if the healing power of the atonement is not real or is seriously exaggerated. In fact to say the Church's approach to helping people with same-sex attraction is actually making the problem worse is essentially saying the atonement of Jesus Christ is harmful to people. Clearly this is a case of "when they are learned they think they are wise and hearken not unto the counsels of God but set it aside supposing they know of themselves. Wherefore their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them (and their patients) not."

The church’s approach is fantastic. What is destructive is a combination of the delivery from local teachers and leaders, and the interpretation of the delivery by the LGBTQ individual. This is why therapy can be so good for such individuals, they are in a place and with a person with no expectations or pre conceived notions. A safe space, if you will, where they can speak openly and dissect what is happening without any repercussion. 

The church is fantastic and is a must in the process of repentance, but it doesn’t have everything everyone needs for every situation for them to deal with the stresses and difficulties of life.

Edited by Fether

21 minutes ago, Fether said:

The church’s approach is fantastic. What is destructive is a combination of the delivery from local teachers and leaders, and the interpretation of the delivery by the LGBTQ individual. This is why therapy can be so good for such individuals, they are in a place and with a person with no expectations or pre conceived notions. A safe space, if you will, where they can speak openly and dissect what is happening without any repercussion. 

The church is fantastic and is a must in the process of repentance, but it doesn’t have everything everyone needs for every situation for them to deal with the stresses and difficulties of life.

I'm not saying professional counselors don't serve a purpose because they really do. My point is that any counselor who dismisses eternal truths is doing their clients a great disservice. This is especially so with members of the Church who should know better.

On 9/23/2019 at 6:19 PM, Anddenex said:

Yeah, well I feel that my mental health is much better if no one is telling me not to drink beer, have sex anonymously and ski on Sunday.  The notion that pointing out a sinful life is mean and shouldn't be done is pretty dumb - in a spiritual sense anyway.

• pam unfeatured this topic