Career Change

person0

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 11:51 PM, Still_Small_Voice said:

Passing the Cisco Certified Network Administrator leads to good employment.  You may want to look for Junior Network Administrator work.  Congratulations!

I think that would require way more of a pay-cut then I can handle.  My Employer just posted a job for an evening shift network admin and told me not to apply because they knew they couldn't pay me enough.

So, I started studying for the MCSA: Server 2016 like a week ago and have been pretty casual about it because I figured I had time, then all of a sudden Microsoft announced they were retiring it in June!  I have to really bust tail if I'm going to get this one in time!  I will start hitting it hard over the next few days.  😫

• 1 year later...

I just landed my first job as a software developer!  God get's all the credit, though.  This job was made available to me in a way that could only come from Him.  I was at Young Men's Camp with my oldest son a few weeks ago. While there, I had the opportunity to talk about my efforts to break into IT with a brother I was already moderately acquainted with through having served in the High Priest Group leadership with his father.  He encouraged me to meet with the IT Director who is also self-taught and grew himself in the industry from the ground up.

Fast forward to last Monday; we go to lunch together and hit it off pretty well and as we are about to leave he says to me, "Hey, I have an opening. . . you're not qualified for it, but if you're interested you can apply, and worst case we can get you some good feedback and point you in the right direction."  I was exited to see what the interview would be like, and to get more advice, so I accepted.  Wednesday, I get into the interview and I can tell it is a mixed bag performance.  All the management type questions I am easily hammering out since I've been in management for many years now, but as far as the development questions go, I probably scored a 40%  just from lack of familiarity with certain concepts, due to only working on hobby projects and never within an organization.  Having developed two fully featured front-end applications and one full-stack application was much less valuable since they were all as the sole developer.  At the end of the interview the IT Director repeated, "Just as a reminder, you're not qualified for this position, so we're going to talk about what if anything we could do, and worse case, we'll get you some good feedback and advice."

Two days later he calls me and offers me a job!  He laid out a plan with a specific path to get me get me the experience and qualifications to put me back in a leadership position over a team like I am now.  I have the personal drive and God given talent to ultimately be successful, yet only in my dreams have I ever imagined someone would be willing to take a chance on me like this!  The pay cut is only about 10% with the opportunity to be back at or above my current income within a year depending on my performance.  This is a blessing that only God could have placed in my path.  Without God softening the heart and granting vision to this IT Director with whom I have spent less than 3 hours time and have known only since last Monday, I can't imagine being given such an opportunity.  I start next month and I am so excited about the continued learning and opportunities that lie ahead.

I am so grateful to my Father in Heaven; I know and testify that He loves us individually and is intimately aware of the desires of our hearts, and our talents and capabilities.  I pray that He will continue to bless me as He has thus far, and that I will never forget Him, that I may always be worthy of His Spirit and His outstretched hand!  I will need it now more than ever, as this is only the beginning of this new road.

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Cautionary tale:

the-robots-are-killing-us-but-why-we-nev

'You have been warned.

I see that assignment operator where a comparison operator ought to be!  On that note, though, I looked up 'why not be a software developer?' and one of the top reasons was essentially, "If you can't handle staring at a screen for 8 hours to diagnose and accomplish what should have only been 10 minutes of work, don't be a developer!"

Edited by person0

1 minute ago, person0 said:

I looked up 'why not be a software developer?' and one of the top reasons was essentially, "If you can't handle staring at a screen for 8 hours to diagnose and accomplish what should have only been 10 minutes of work, don't be a developer!"

That's not the only reason I've been a writer for 17+ years, but it's certainly one of them.

• 1 year later...

So, in a new career development, I have somehow miraculously been granted an opportunity to interview for a position as the Director of Software Development for a small company.  The position is kind of a mashup of Director (report to CEO), Manager (manage a small team of developers), Lead (help guide team members, the direction of the software and team development style & habits), and there's probably some Product Owner responsibilities in there too.  I do believe it is something I am capable of doing, and it would certainly be an exciting opportunity, though, from an on paper, completely objective measure, I am probably not qualified; despite that, they were willing to grant me an interview on Monday.

I have no idea what the Lord's plan is, but this opportunity has only come about because of things he helped set in motion a few years ago.  Anyway, I welcome any prayers you kind folks may be willing to send in my direction.  Given the circumstances, I don't think my feelings will be hurt if I don't get the position, but if the Lord is willing to entrust me with this opportunity in my career, I'll gladly take it and strive to do my best with it.

Interestingly, if the position were to be offered, I would either need to do some convincing in terms of salary negotiating, or else need a confirmation from the Lord to take the position regardless, because as it stands, even the top of the salary range posted online would result in me bringing home less than what I am making today.  Anyway, I know the Lord will guide in this as well, and I'm somewhat jumping the gun thinking about it since I haven't even made it through the first round of interviews yet, but I figured I'd share and as mentioned before, welcome any prayers you may be willing to send in my direction.

Appreciate you all and the support I've received here in the past. 🙂

• person0 changed the title to Career Change
11 hours ago, person0 said:

So, in a new career development, I have somehow miraculously been granted an opportunity to interview for a position as the Director of Software Development for a small company.  The position is kind of a mashup of Director (report to CEO), Manager (manage a small team of developers), Lead (help guide team members, the direction of the software and team development style & habits), and there's probably some Product Owner responsibilities in there too.  I do believe it is something I am capable of doing, and it would certainly be an exciting opportunity, though, from an on paper, completely objective measure, I am probably not qualified; despite that, they were willing to grant me an interview on Monday.

I have no idea what the Lord's plan is, but this opportunity has only come about because of things he helped set in motion a few years ago.  Anyway, I welcome any prayers you kind folks may be willing to send in my direction.  Given the circumstances, I don't think my feelings will be hurt if I don't get the position, but if the Lord is willing to entrust me with this opportunity in my career, I'll gladly take it and strive to do my best with it.

Interestingly, if the position were to be offered, I would either need to do some convincing in terms of salary negotiating, or else need a confirmation from the Lord to take the position regardless, because as it stands, even the top of the salary range posted online would result in me bringing home less than what I am making today.  Anyway, I know the Lord will guide in this as well, and I'm somewhat jumping the gun thinking about it since I haven't even made it through the first round of interviews yet, but I figured I'd share and as mentioned before, welcome any prayers you may be willing to send in my direction.

Appreciate you all and the support I've received here in the past. 🙂

I accepted a job 6 years ago that the Lord led me to. It was a step down in salary, and yet one of the top 3 decisions I have made in my life.

• 2 weeks later...