Bishop didn’t ask for details or more information about my sins

nellyleyva92

Hello.

Yesterday I went with my bishop to have an interview about things I did wrong a few weeks ago.

I was expecting to be asked to tell him everything I did in detail, but I wasn’t. I only said a few things, expecting my bishop to ask for more information about every activity I did, but instead, he focused on listening to my testimony and my feelings towards the Savior in my situation. 

I know I feel fully repentant of my sins, I have felt sorrow, prayed a lot, said sorry to the person involved and was willing to confess everything in detail, but the bishop didn’t request that, nor went further in wanting to know what else I had done. He determined  I was worthy to keep taking the  sacrament and going to the temple.

I feel happy about it, but at the same time I wonder if it was wrong not to tell him all the sinful activities I did. It wasn’t because I didn’t Want to, it was just that he didn’t ask for more. Should I go back and tell him absoultely everything to make sure I am really worthy and fully repented?

One of my friends told me some bishops just focus on the testimony and repentance of the person rather than past actions, and to just move on, but I Still feel unsure and I don’t seem to find any in depth information from the Church about this.

I’m grateful in advance for any insights.

Edited by nellyleyva92

When someone confesses that they've sinned, and can demonstrate an understanding of what their sins are, I don't personally find a need to pursue extensive questioning. If this was a first time, one-off occurrence, then do as your bishop counsels you, continue your repentance, and get on with life.  

Don't let doubts about your experience with your confession not being what you expected it to be cause you to miss out on the joy of repentance.

God grants forgiveness, not the bishop, and God knows what you have done. The bishop might feel he needs more insight into the situation behind a particular sinful act; in this case, your bishop apparently didn't see the need for that. So be it. Your true repentance will not be less effective because the bishop didn't ask you some things.

If you're still feeling bad about this, go back to your bishop and tell him that you were prepared to tell him everything, but he didn't ask. Tell him you feel uneasy about that, and offer to spill your guts. If he continues to refuse to ask, accept that as the righteous judgment of Israel's common judge.

7 hours ago, nellyleyva92 said:

Yesterday I went with my bishop to have an interview about things I did wrong a few weeks ago....

First, you made the right decision to speak with your bishop. I will add some thoughts for you to think about, while providing another witness on what others have shared.

Second, bishops are in a peculiar situation when it comes people repenting of sins and confession. I have read posts where people are berating a bishop for asking too much detail. With exclamation points of, "How dare a bishop ask for more detail"! Even on this forum. Maybe he doesn't want to be that bishop, which may lead to necessary details and events being left out for full repentance to be achieved.

Third, if the sins you feel you needed to share are different from the sin expressed to the bishop (unrelated and separate events), then yes I would recommend talking with your bishop again. Let me provide an example so I am clear. If someone were to have sex, break the law of chastity, and they met with their bishop and said they had sex, pre-marital and didn't tell the bishop about the petting and necking and are feeling bad. Well, I think the bishop understands that when a person has sex typically petting and necking are involved. So, they are related and the bishop doesn't need to go into detail. It is covered.

Now, if a person said they had sex. The bishop didn't ask about any other events. The person is now feeling bad because the bishop didn't probe further and the individual didn't mention the other person they had sex with also. Then yes, these are unrelated events. They are separate, and do have impact on decisions of worthiness and outcomes.

Finally, if you are unsure, as others have shared, you can always go back and talk with your bishop again. The point of the repentance process is to become once again "one" with Christ via his atonement.