Sign in to follow this  
NeuroTypical

ThirdHour makes a video, apparently.

Recommended Posts

I can hear the conversations now.

"You spent how much on this?"
"You make this thing, but you still won't fund NT's next trip to SLC?"

(I hear these conversations because they're coming out of my mouth right now.  Not too shoddy, though!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They got Saints Unscripted! they most of dropped millions on this production.
honest question though, are they a part of the same organization as Thirdhour?

Edited by Fether

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the grief we Latter-day Saints take for our supposedly "sci-fi-ish" doctrines and the mockery we endure from anti-Mormons who talk about "Kolob" more than the book of Abraham does, I'm disappointed to see that so many of this generation dive into such ideas head-first.

The bottom line is: Star Wars kind of sucks. It's not even half-baked philosophy; it's contradictory, grandstanding nonsense posing as philosophy. It is designed for exactly and only one purpose: To make money. Obiwan Kenobi is the best of the lot, and I would not want him teaching my children. In Macbeth's words, Star Wars "is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

The Priesthood is not the Force. Please, please, PLEASE stop making that comparison. The Priesthood is the power of God. The Force is riciulous magical nonsense. And the prophets most certainly are not Jedi warriors.

Sacred things should be treated as sacred. Star Wars is not sacred. Please, show a little dignity when talking of sacred things.

I was going to write something self-deprecating and apologetic for my curmudgeonly attitude about this, but I decided against it. I'm not sorry. We don't (or shouldn't) compare the restored gospel to Star Wars for the same reason we don't (or shouldn't) draw cartoony comic strips about God and Jesus Christ teaching the saving doctrines of the gospel. True, many people can't see what is possibly wrong with that, and many will claim to feel "inspired" or "touched" or "moved" or "uplifted" by such things. But in these things, we should not be little children. We should be adults. We should exhibit taste and decorum, and keep sacred things sacred.

The gospel is not Star Wars®. The holy Priesthood of Jesus Christ is not The Force®. The prophets are not Jedi Knights®. Satan is not Emperor Palpatine®. We do not wield the Light Saber® of Truth.

Edited by Vort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Vort  I don't see it saying or even approaching it as the Priesthood IS the force.  They are using it like a parable.  To me, your complaints could just as easily be about Jesus' parables.  "I can't believe anyone would say that the kingdom of heaven is like yeast left in dough!"  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:
I can hear the conversations now."You spent how much on this?"

 

About the same as what a bean burrito costs at Taco Bell

Quote

"You make this thing, but you still won't fund NT's next trip to SLC?"

There is a used handcart you can borrow.

Quote

(I hear these conversations because they're coming out of my mouth right now.  Not too shoddy, though!)

Define shoddy.

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm talking only production values, not doctrinal relevance.

When ThirdHour has a production budget that matches Disney, @pam can give you a raise. 

And @mirkwood can get fired. 😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fether said:

They got Saints Unscripted! they most of dropped millions on this production.
honest question though, are they a part of the same organization as Thirdhour?

Yes they are as well as Ask Gramps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vort said:

Given the grief we Latter-day Saints take for our supposedly "sci-fi-ish" doctrines and the mockery we endure from anti-Mormons who talk about "Kolob" more than the book of Abraham does, I'm disappointed to see that so many of this generation dive into such ideas head-first.

The bottom line is: Star Wars kind of sucks. It's not even half-baked philosophy; it's contradictory, grandstanding nonsense posing as philosophy. It is designed for exactly and only one purpose: To make money. Obiwan Kenobi is the best of the lot, and I would not want him teaching my children. In Macbeth's words, Star Wars "is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

The Priesthood is not the Force. Please, please, PLEASE stop making that comparison. The Priesthood is the power of God. The Force is riciulous magical nonsense. And the prophets most certainly are not Jedi warriors.

Sacred things should be treated as sacred. Star Wars is not sacred. Please, show a little dignity when talking of sacred things.

I was going to write something self-deprecating and apologetic for my curmudgeonly attitude about this, but I decided against it. I'm not sorry. We don't (or shouldn't) compare the restored gospel to Star Wars for the same reason we don't (or shouldn't) draw cartoony comic strips about God and Jesus Christ teaching the saving doctrines of the gospel. True, many people can't see what is possibly wrong with that, and many will claim to feel "inspired" or "touched" or "moved" or "uplifted" by such things. But in these things, we should not be little children. We should be adults. We should exhibit taste and decorum, and keep sacred things sacred.

The gospel is not Star Wars®. The holy Priesthood of Jesus Christ is not The Force®. The prophets are not Jedi Knights®. Satan is not Emperor Palpatine®. We do not wield the Light Saber® of Truth.

While I can appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this...I feel like sometimes we can take things a bit too seriously as well.  Sometimes we just have to lighten up and have some fun. That's what this was...just an attempt to have some fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it! I'm grateful for Third Hour :grouphug: since I have an uncontrollable interest in everything.

Well done to the creators. I admire talent in those areas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vort said:

The Priesthood is not the Force. Please, please, PLEASE stop making that comparison.

I thought they were talking about the Spirit then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pam said:

While I can appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this...I feel like sometimes we can take things a bit too seriously as well.  Sometimes we just have to lighten up and have some fun. That's what this was...just an attempt to have some fun.

Tell them it is now October.  Time for zombies...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Vort said:

Given the grief we Latter-day Saints take for our supposedly "sci-fi-ish" doctrines and the mockery we endure from anti-Mormons who talk about "Kolob" more than the book of Abraham does, I'm disappointed to see that so many of this generation dive into such ideas head-first.

The bottom line is: Star Wars kind of sucks. It's not even half-baked philosophy; it's contradictory, grandstanding nonsense posing as philosophy. It is designed for exactly and only one purpose: To make money. Obiwan Kenobi is the best of the lot, and I would not want him teaching my children. In Macbeth's words, Star Wars "is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

The Priesthood is not the Force. Please, please, PLEASE stop making that comparison. The Priesthood is the power of God. The Force is riciulous magical nonsense. And the prophets most certainly are not Jedi warriors.

Sacred things should be treated as sacred. Star Wars is not sacred. Please, show a little dignity when talking of sacred things.

I was going to write something self-deprecating and apologetic for my curmudgeonly attitude about this, but I decided against it. I'm not sorry. We don't (or shouldn't) compare the restored gospel to Star Wars for the same reason we don't (or shouldn't) draw cartoony comic strips about God and Jesus Christ teaching the saving doctrines of the gospel. True, many people can't see what is possibly wrong with that, and many will claim to feel "inspired" or "touched" or "moved" or "uplifted" by such things. But in these things, we should not be little children. We should be adults. We should exhibit taste and decorum, and keep sacred things sacred.

The gospel is not Star Wars®. The holy Priesthood of Jesus Christ is not The Force®. The prophets are not Jedi Knights®. Satan is not Emperor Palpatine®. We do not wield the Light Saber® of Truth.

They forgot to include the Galactic Dictator Xenu and the danger of Thetans. Sigh, why, Why, WHY?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Vort said:

Given the grief we Latter-day Saints take for our supposedly "sci-fi-ish" doctrines and the mockery we endure from anti-Mormons who talk about "Kolob" more than the book of Abraham does, I'm disappointed to see that so many of this generation dive into such ideas head-first.

The bottom line is: Star Wars kind of sucks. It's not even half-baked philosophy; it's contradictory, grandstanding nonsense posing as philosophy. It is designed for exactly and only one purpose: To make money. Obiwan Kenobi is the best of the lot, and I would not want him teaching my children. In Macbeth's words, Star Wars "is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

The Priesthood is not the Force. Please, please, PLEASE stop making that comparison. The Priesthood is the power of God. The Force is riciulous magical nonsense. And the prophets most certainly are not Jedi warriors.

Sacred things should be treated as sacred. Star Wars is not sacred. Please, show a little dignity when talking of sacred things.

I was going to write something self-deprecating and apologetic for my curmudgeonly attitude about this, but I decided against it. I'm not sorry. We don't (or shouldn't) compare the restored gospel to Star Wars for the same reason we don't (or shouldn't) draw cartoony comic strips about God and Jesus Christ teaching the saving doctrines of the gospel. True, many people can't see what is possibly wrong with that, and many will claim to feel "inspired" or "touched" or "moved" or "uplifted" by such things. But in these things, we should not be little children. We should be adults. We should exhibit taste and decorum, and keep sacred things sacred.

The gospel is not Star Wars®. The holy Priesthood of Jesus Christ is not The Force®. The prophets are not Jedi Knights®. Satan is not Emperor Palpatine®. We do not wield the Light Saber® of Truth.

They forgot to include the Galactic Dictator Xenu and the danger of Thetans. Sigh, why, Why, WHY?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember in my college ward once one of our Sunday School teachers gave a lesson where it basically was the class watching the last hour of Return of the Jedi and him making comparisons to the priesthood and spirit. He was released the next week by the Bishop. As a Star Wars fan this sort of thing really bothers me. Star Wars is not real and this is such a bad comparison. The Gospel is not the Mono-Myth of Joseph Campbell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like road-show-quality content, with moderately experienced youtuber-quality effects, acting, and direction.  That the whole world can see.  That's the part I suppose I'm most nervous about - nonlds folk will watch this and think it says anything about us other than "sometimes we get goofy and have fun".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

nonlds folk will watch this and think it says anything about us other than "sometimes we get goofy and have fun".

They probably won't watch it, and that's not an insult to them or Third Hour. After all, how many videos do you watch on Jehovahs Witnesses websites? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this