Censorship at its finest

Fether

On the bakery analogy - this doesn’t work.

There are different laws and tax structures surrounding Platforms versus Publishers.

Youtube and Facebook declared themselves as Platforms, therefore, they cannot censor past what is legal vs illegal speech and remain protected by Platform laws/taxes instead of Publishers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 5:34 PM, MormonGator said:
On 10/3/2019 at 5:24 PM, mirkwood said:

I would feel the same.  Freedom of speech is of great importance.

On 10/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, Fether said:

I too would be upset, but because I don't care too much about liberal sources, I wouldn't notice it and would likely not make a big deal about it. As Vort suggested, it is a bigger deal when it is your own ideas being censored. If my house ox is gored, it is a BIG PROBLEM.If my neighbor's ox is gored, then it is only a big problem.

I have no doubt that both of you would feel the same way. You are both people of great integrity. (I'd say men of great integrity, but @mirkwood is going though a gender fluid phase.) 

However, I have grave concerns that in our highly partisan culture,  many other conservatives would not feel the same. 

I know this is dead, but I wanted to drive the point home with this.

Youtube censored a DNC candidate, whom Crowder does not agree with at all, and here he is making an hour-long video that he fears will be removed/blocked.

The right voices are far more concerned about equality and freedom for all than the left voices are. The problem with politics expresses itself most on the left side of the aisle.

Edited by Fether

Guest MormonGator
On 10/22/2019 at 6:54 PM, Fether said:

The right voices are far more concerned about equality and freedom for all than the left voices are. 

Oh we agree on that, 100%. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This one is certainly trying my patience.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/10/15/facebook-twitter-hunter-biden/

Facebook and Twitter took unusual steps Wednesday to limit readership of an article by the New York Post about alleged emails from Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s son, one of the rare occasions they have sanctioned a traditional media outlet.

The social media giants took that action before verifying the contents of the article, in which President Trump‘s personal attorney Rudolph W. Giuliani and his former top adviser Stephen K. Bannon claimed to have obtained and leaked a trove of private materials from Hunter Biden. The leaked documents suggested at one point he gave a Ukrainian executive the “opportunity” to meet the former vice president. The Biden campaign said his schedule indicated no such meeting took place.

Facebook preemptively limited the spread of the story while sending it to third-party fact-checkers, a decision the company said it has taken on various occasions but is not the standard process. Twitter allowed the story to surge to a No. 3 trending topic in the U.S., although later marked the link as “potentially unsafe” and blocked it. It also temporarily locked White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany’s account, as well as the New York Post’s, adding notices to their tweets saying they violated Twitter’s rules on prohibiting publishing hacked materials. Trump’s campaign account was also temporarily locked.