Ideas for surviving in "bunker mode"

Backroads

I thought briefly about classifying this in "Support in Hard Times" but it's more like Irritating Times because I think we will make it through...

So, because I have no qualms about destroying a company, I maliciously declare Wish.com stole all of our money. Husband enjoys browsing the site, once order a dish drainer... and left the debit card information. The other day an order was placed through his account for no less than seven gold-melting devices of which we really have no use. (A search of the internet revealed similar stories with the site in the past few weeks.) Anyway, this completely drained out our bank account. I know, I know, don't leave debit card information online, yada yada. Still happened, now we're dealing with the aftermath.

They promised a refund, but we won't get it for two weeks (hopefully we will get it then...) We have filled out the fraud paperwork with our financial institution. Sort of hoping once they complete their work we might get a credit til whenever, but I'm not relying on that. 

A lot of bills have been already paid. I went grocery shopping and filled my gas tank the day before. We have a freezer filled to the brim with meat, plenty of rice and beans, and actual fancy packaged food storage items. The zuchinni continues to grow in the backyard and is probably planning a hostile takeover. Plus, relatives and people who tolerate us if worse comes to worse. Husband gets paid in two weeks. Hopefully we will also get our gold-melting money back at that time as well. While we do not have the ideal emergency fund saved up, we do have some savings to work with, probably enough to even go about our daily lives if we wanted.

But because I have an anxious, worst-case-leaning personality as well as an overactive imagination and just some pure curiosity of the "can I pull this off?" variety, I kind of want to handle this as in extreme circumstance. 

Suggestions on how to survive on zero/virtually zero money for two weeks?

1 hour ago, Backroads said:

I thought briefly about classifying this in "Support in Hard Times" but it's more like Irritating Times because I think we will make it through...

So, because I have no qualms about destroying a company, I maliciously declare Wish.com stole all of our money. Husband enjoys browsing the site, once order a dish drainer... and left the debit card information. The other day an order was placed through his account for no less than seven gold-melting devices of which we really have no use. (A search of the internet revealed similar stories with the site in the past few weeks.) Anyway, this completely drained out our bank account. I know, I know, don't leave debit card information online, yada yada. Still happened, now we're dealing with the aftermath.

They promised a refund, but we won't get it for two weeks (hopefully we will get it then...) We have filled out the fraud paperwork with our financial institution. Sort of hoping once they complete their work we might get a credit til whenever, but I'm not relying on that. 

A lot of bills have been already paid. I went grocery shopping and filled my gas tank the day before. We have a freezer filled to the brim with meat, plenty of rice and beans, and actual fancy packaged food storage items. The zuchinni continues to grow in the backyard and is probably planning a hostile takeover. Plus, relatives and people who tolerate us if worse comes to worse. Husband gets paid in two weeks. Hopefully we will also get our gold-melting money back at that time as well. While we do not have the ideal emergency fund saved up, we do have some savings to work with, probably enough to even go about our daily lives if we wanted.

But because I have an anxious, worst-case-leaning personality as well as an overactive imagination and just some pure curiosity of the "can I pull this off?" variety, I kind of want to handle this as in extreme circumstance. 

I am sure the bishop can help :) Not sure what constitutes an order to the bishop's store house or how often they arrive, but that is one option.

OR, ask for help from the ward. I am sure some would love to help out.

I am sorry you are going through this.

Budget and meal plan are my top tips.

Budget: Look at what you do have available to you and allocated every last penny, so you know where it is all going.  Then the hard part....sticking to it. Withdraw cash for everyday spending and put into designated envelopes (and once it is gone it it gone). Move the rest of your cash into savings and just transfer enough for bills in time for them to be paid (this way if fraudsters come back they cant access all of you money for bills.  And every evening check that you are on track with the budget. Any overspend means that you will have to adjust in another area and correct the budget. Make sure you include a small amount of "fun" money so that you can have a small treat each week, so that it does not feel like you are totally depriving your self.

Meal planning: Before setting you food budget go through all of the food you have (inventory) and then write out meals and snacks for every day for the next two weeks. Then write out a shopping list for things you need to add so that you can eat and shop on the first day. For fresh items have a cash envelope in your budget. Only shop with a shopping list and stick to it.

Make sure you give yourself something fun to do each week... there are lots of free activities that you and your husband can take advantage of and enjoy some time together so that the stress of "bunker mentality" can be escaped from for a couple of hours.

Good luck

17 hours ago, Backroads said:

It's a good test of food storage, if you have it.   For the 2 weeks you describe, "food storage" here means what's in your fridge, freezer, pantry.    If I were in your situation, I'd create an inventory of everything you've got.   

- Can it last 2 weeks with a little planning?  Then turn it into an adventure and post your daily meals here. 
- What expires first? 
- What do you really not look forward to eating, but you can if you have to?  Mix it in, so you're not stuck with only that at the end.

Another option would be to talk with the bishop.  If you're a full tithe payer, if you pay fast offerings some, if unemployment or underemployment isn't an issue, I'm guessing your bishop would be overjoyed to just help you for a short period of time.  Bishops have so many difficult situations, people who struggle long-term to make ends meet, people struggling to accept they need to make lifestyle changes - you don't have any of that.  He can help you with 2 weeks of food from the storehouse, and you go away happy with the issue fixed?  Probably the easiest meeting he'll have with anyone that week.  You would be doing him a favor with such an easy thing to fix.   No really - consider this option.  It truly is just between you and him - it's likely nobody else in the building will ever hear about it.  I've been finance clerk for years, and I don't have the faintest clue who gets food assistance from the church.  I do see the "food assistance" folder in the top drawer of the locked filing cabinet, and it's not a thin folder, but only the bishop is involved in that.

Edited by NeuroTypical

19 hours ago, Backroads said:

Sorry to hear about the fiasco @Backroads!

My family was in "bunker mode" for a time this spring.  For short term: 

- Go through your pantry and freezer, make an inventory, and google meals you can do with what you have.  Plan those and stick to it.  Besides saving money, this also has the benefit of just cleaning things out.  

- Cancel all fluff, eating out, or entertainment that's going to extra money during this time period.  Now is the time to hang out as a family, go to the park, play a board game, etc.  

- Driving: I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but for us we have a lot of things that are only like 2 miles away.  Bike riding in  "bunker mode" saved us money, but more than that I found that I really liked it and it has had notable health benefits for me.  So even now that we're out of "bunker mode", I still regularly bike places.  

- If it's something random you need (like I needed a pie-baking pan), ask to borrow one from a friend / minister.  My ministering sister did not miss her pie pan for the two days it was helping out my family.  

Sorry this happened to you Backroads.  I really hope you get all of your money back.  This re-affirms a belief I have on keeping some cash in your house hidden safely for situations like this.  If you can in the future get $500 to $1,000 in cash reserves in your house.  Keep a few fifties, and some twenties, tens and about fifteen one dollar bills for bad situations.

Also do what others have suggested and talk to your Bishop about your situation.  I hope all works out well for you.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

4 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

.  If you can in the future get $500 to $1,000 in cash reserves in your house.  Keep a few fifties, and some twenties, tens and about fifteen one dollar bills for bad situations.

This is what we're using if we need to. Husband squirrels away cash, and it's safe to say he always has around $1000 if not more.

6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

- Can it last 2 weeks with a little planning?  Then turn it into an adventure and post your daily meals here

I am viewing it as an adventure, a challenge of sorts.

However, tonight was leftovers found in the fridge. 😁

17 hours ago, Backroads said:

I am viewing it as an adventure, a challenge of sorts.

However, tonight was leftovers found in the fridge. 😁

We do this as a family periodically... for no other reason than seeing if we can do it.  We go through a week without spending money.  We have found that we are just as happy eating our year’s worth of rice and spam and the eggs from the backyard chickens every meal for a week... and the  kids are just as happy biking everywhere instead of driving.

It’s not really “bunker mode” though because we still use whatever has been paid for - like electricity, gas, water, movie passes, etc.  We haven’t really gone on a “bunker mode” where we can’t even use what we have to buy like electricity, gas, rice...