Grateful to faithful muslim women

KScience

I have just started on a Physiotherapy degree course as part of a career change plan. I have been very excited to be a student again, but have had some irritating minor conflict with the University with regard to the clothing (or rather lack of) requirements for the practical sessions. Not sure why it didn't occur to me before starting the course, but I have had some difficulty explaining that due to religious beliefs I will not be wearing shorts which barely cover my buttock creases and will not be taking off my t-shirt. 

This was not a good enough reason and I was being pressured to participate until I noticed a final year student who is a muslim and wears a hijab and asked the program lead to allow me the same concessions that she had been allowed on religious grounds. Suddenly, I am no longer "a problem". I managed to speak with the girl yesterday and asked her about her experience and she told me  about the options they had given her and what had worked for her and I now have a plan that I feel comfortable with. It was nice to at last speak with someone who understood the discomfort of immodesty, rather than heavily implying that I have  body image issues  :rolleyes:

I am grateful for that woman of faith who lives her principles.

I am less amused that I had to use "the muslim card" to get some tutors to take me seriously.

I guess I am already marked out as the awkward and annoying first year student....... well best they knew early on ;) 

Edited by KScience
SPAG

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 1:38 AM, KScience said:

This was not a good enough reason and I was being pressured to participate until I noticed a final year student who is a muslim and wears a hijab and asked the program lead to allow me the same concessions that she had been allowed on religious grounds. Suddenly, I am no longer "a problem". I managed to speak with the girl yesterday and asked her about her experience and she told me  about the options they had given her and what had worked for her and I now have a plan that I feel comfortable with. It was nice to at last speak with someone who understood the discomfort of immodesty, rather than heavily implying that I have  body image issues

Based on what I know of Islam, the spirit behind the hijab is about modesty; so it extends to other
body parts besides just the head.  The same principle of modesty in dress is also applicable to
Muslim males.  My wife and I wear modest clothing but it has nothing to do with our religious
affiliation.

Jonah

On 10/4/2019 at 6:38 AM, KScience said:

I am less amused that I had to use "the muslim card" to get some tutors to take me seriously.

In the UK, everyone is terrified of upsetting Muslims. You can poke fun at Christians (including LDS) all you like, but say anything remotely bad about Muslims and it's "religious tolerance", "diversity"...etc. etc. (It's surely no coincidence that there's a "Book of Mormon" musical but no "Koran the Musical".) Even the Christmas decorations in the shopping malls are a pale shadow of what they used to be, because they are so terrified of upsetting anyone who's not a Christian. And this is officially a Christian country - in which bishops sit in parliament! It's our history - our heritage...yet we're not allowed to celebrate it because it's not "inclusive" to Muslims. And the biggest joke of all is that most Muslims are fine with Christmas decorations - they don't mind them at all. It's just a few trouble-makers, and an establishment determined to appease them. I'm not surprised you had to argue that your Christian beliefs were "the same sort of thing" as the protected rights of Muslims - because that wouldn't immediately occur to your average politically-correct person.

Edited by Jamie123