Thank God for Dallin H. Oaks

Vort

Pres Oaks has always been absolutely incredible to me. Even before I knew who he was, I saw that bald head and I knew I was in for a treat. His talk in the the morning (right?) session was masterful.

He certainly doubled down on President Nelson’s most recent BYU comments. He didn’t mince any words, and I love him the more for it.

I met him once at a Priesthood Leadership Conference. He had nothing of the stern Federal judge vibe one sees at General Conference. He was very personable, and gave me a hug.

There has never before been a first presidency like our current presidency.  Beyond spiritual gifts, these prophets (Apostles) are well educated and extremely smart by world standards.  Pres Nelson was a world leading heart surgeon and help develop the most advanced life saving surgical procedures that are still being used.  Pres Oaks is one of the nation's leading legal minds and a former member of the Utah Supreme Court.  Pres Eyring is the son of a world renowned scientist and well versed in science himself.  They are also humble husbands and fathers dedicated to families.  I do not believe that there has ever been such educated and smart leaders in the eyes of the world in G-d's earthly kingdom since the fall.  

Please do not think that I discount the great spiritual giants that G-d has called in various ages, dispensations and in our own time, however, I do not doubt but that G-d and placed our presidency at the head of his church and kingdom at this time without specific reason for their talents and recognized abilities.  Regardless of whatever criticisms various individuals or organizations may pose - they cannot claim any better educated leaders than what leads the church they try to criticize.   To argue that our presidency is intellectually lacking or any way inferior to them and their leaders or scholars is obviously the dribble of fools.

What better quiet witness could there be that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not a fringe cult of fools.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Pres. Nelson & Pres Oaks are the last of the apostles I remember from my earliest times of keeping track of apostles names and faces.  Elder Ballard, Elder Holland and Pres. Eyring were the first of the new guard in my life.  (Elder Ballard was kind of in between).

Given the talk of Pres. Nelson's physical health, he may outlive all of them.  And I'll see the first Prophet who was not one of "my" original apostles.

An era is passing.

Edited by Mores

9 minutes ago, Mores said:

Pres. Nelson & Pres Oaks are the last of the apostles I remember from my earliest times of keeping track of apostles names and faces.  Elder Ballard, Elder Holland and Pres. Eyring were the first of the new guard in my life.  (Elder Ballard was kind of in between).

Given the talk of Pres. Nelson's physical health, he may outlive all of them.  And I'll see the first Prophet who was not one of "my" original apostles.

An era is passing.

For me, that happened with President Hinckley, the last surviving apostle ordained before my birth. President Monson was ordained for the October General Conference after I was born. BUT—there's a huge gap between President Monson, ordained an apostle in 1963, and Elder Nelson, ordained in 1985(!). More than a two-decade jump there. The moment is not far distant when there will be no more living apostles ordained in the 20th century. Ponder a bit on that reality. Tempus fugit.

Edited by Vort

Funny enough, the first apostle I remember sustaining was Elder Rasband. I was 14 when Elder Anderson was as called, but I had little interest in the gospel and I probably didn’t watch that session of GC