Clarified temple recommend questions

NeuroTypical

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Couldn't agree more, though I think that's an age thing. The younger generations are more likely to be able to grasp this. 

Huh.  My experience is that the younger generations are less likely to be able to grasp that many/most within the older generations already do grasp this. ;) 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

We've visited churches with our friends and neighbors. Most people knew we are LDS and no one cared. No snide jokes, no problems with Joesph Smith Jr...everyone is really polite and nice. Like all other churches they are just happy to see you. 

There's a BIG difference between attending a church meeting and enrolling at their schools.  They teach religious education at their schools.  It's not that they care we are LDS or that they make snide jokes or anything like that.  That's not what it is.  At all.  It is the Religious Education that teaches something completely different from the LDS gospel.  And no, you can't opt out of Religious class.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

...So why enroll your kid in a religious based private schools?  Because they are very good at teaching reading/writing/arithmetic.

Are there no non-religious private schools in Florida that are also very good at teaching reading, writing and arithmetic?

M.

1 hour ago, Maureen said:

Are there no non-religious private schools in Florida that are also very good at teaching reading, writing and arithmetic?

M.

There are.  I decided to enroll my kid in the Montessori.  Non-religious... so non-religious they are borderline anti-religious.  So much so that the kids are not even allowed to have superhero backpacks or anything like that because it's like deities... they're imaginary.  Yeah.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Huh.  My experience is that the younger generations are less likely to be able to grasp that many/most within the older generations already do grasp this. ;) 

Well of course you'd say that! You are defending your own generation dude. What are you a baby boomer? 

Oh. Wait. 

3 hours ago, person0 said:

Amen.  BTW, here are some of the exact words from one of the people I mentioned previously:

Reads to me like she is the one with hatred in her heart in the literal sense.  She, and others like her seriously have issues. I am not sure how someone could even begin to help people like this overcome them? I mean, the only way to change is to actually come to a knowledge and understanding of the truth, and I can't imagine someone like that being willing to have enough of a conversation to connect the dots to even begin to come close!

UPDATE:  Looks like she has officially decided she no longer believes in the restored gospel, according to a recent post.  Makes sense that she would go that way, but saddens me nonetheless.

Yes, this type of conversation murmuring, like Laman & Lemuel, is a bit ironic when a person is specifying how much they hate someone while talking about how she hates him for spreading hate (an obvious dilemma she will have to take up with the Lord).

Hello,

I had an observation on question 7 - Do you support or promote any teachings, 
practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints?

Should they have replaced the above (which sounds a little negative) with something 
more positive like - "Do you support and promote all teachings, practices, or 
doctrine taught by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Jonah

On 10/12/2019 at 2:15 PM, Jonah said:

Hello,

practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints?

Should they have replaced the above (which sounds a little negative) with something 

Jonah

They're not the same question.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:
On 10/12/2019 at 2:15 PM, Jonah said:

Hello,

Saints?

Jonah

They're not the same question.

Just to build on Anatess' assessment, the other questions in the interview allow the candidate to make affirmative statements that "support and promote" key "teachings, practices, or doctrines taught by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latte-day Saints". This question allows the candidate to deny affiliation with activities that the Church has expressly condemned.

It's my understanding that there are some polygamists who wish to stay within the Restored Church of Jesus Christ who will use our temples to receive ordinances. This question is an opportunity to explore that with a priesthood leader.