What to expect from the 2020 April general conference

Edspringer

I have no idea.

First Vision Bicentennial.  Im sure we will focus on the life and teachings of Joseph Smith as well as Jesus Christ.

I expect that the D&C will get an expansion.  I would love to see some of Joseph Smith’s later conference talks to become canonized. As well as the The Proclamation & The Living Christ.

Maybe the new hymnal

Can’t wait.  

8 minutes ago, mikbone said:

I have no idea.

First Vision Bicentennial.  Im sure we will focus on the life and teachings of Joseph Smith as well as Jesus Christ.

I expect that the D&C will get an expansion.  I would love to see some of Joseph Smith’s later conference talks to become canonized. As well as the The Proclamation & The Living Christ.

Maybe the new hymnal

Can’t wait.  

I thought of something similar: new canonized material or even new scriptures. Maybe more Joseph Smith stuff. Thanx for sharing your thoughts.

Edited by Edspringer

3 hours ago, mikbone said:

I expect that the Doc. & Cov. will get an expansion.  I would love to see some of Joseph Smith’s later conference talks to become canonized. As well as the The Proclamation & The Living Christ.

I would also really like to see The Family, A Proclamation to the World and The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles added to the Doctrine & Covenants scripture.

My wife and I thought that maybe the General Conference would be broadcast from Palmyra, NY however the hotel rates in the area don't appear too extravagant at this point so probably not.

Our other thought was that maybe multiple worldwide General Conferences could be held? It will be interesting to see, but the more important matter is the Saint's spiritual preparation for the Conference. That's where President Nelson's main concern seems IMHO.

I found President Nelson's question about pondering how your life would be different if your knowledge gained from the Book of Mormon was suddenly taken away to be so interesting....I'm probably putting too much stock into it but I found it to be a unique question. 

49 minutes ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

I found President Nelson's question about pondering how your life would be different if your knowledge gained from the Book of Mormon was suddenly taken away to be so interesting....I'm probably putting too much stock into it but I found it to be a unique question. 

I had a very similar feeling. That statement stood out to me the most. 

When Pres. Nelson talked about next year being a Bicentennial year of the first vision, I thought of @Grunt's thread a couple weeks ago.  I wonder if we're going to get some type of multimedia scriptures.  Like General Conference videos being officially designated as scriptural. *shrug*

I am thinking they might introduce the ordinance of "translation" to take place at the temple for worthy members as the next step in preparation for the Millennium. 😲 Which mean I must up my repentance game.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

5 hours ago, Fether said:

Human Sacrifice to be a part of every endowment session 

I think I would have used an appropriate emoticon so that all know you are joking.  You are joking right?  Just we have a lot of people who just lurk and read the forums.  Many non members.  I don't want people getting the wrong idea.

2 hours ago, pam said:

I think I would have used an appropriate emoticon so that all know you are joking.  You are joking right?  Just we have a lot of people who just lurk and read the forums.  Many non members.  I don't want people getting the wrong idea.

Adjusted it, does that work?

20 hours ago, pam said:

It would never have occurred to me to take it seriously, but I grew up LDS. If I didn't know anything about the Church except for what popular media (read: antis) have to say, I might well believe an offhand sarcasm like that to be true. So I guess you're right. And honestly, maybe it's best not to speak light-mindedly of sacred things anyway.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

I’ll bet at some point, additional accounts of the first vision are added to Joseph Smith-History as a footnote (like the existing footnote containing the extract of the Oliver Cowdery letter).

Oliver Cowdery's quote is added as a footnote because JS-H is authored by Joseph Smith, and Cowdery's account is being used as a juxtaposition to provide a second account (and witness). If Joseph Smith's other accounts were ever included in our scriptural canon, I expect they'd be added as, possibly, second, third, and fourth chapters in JS-H, or in some other way that makes them primary text and not a footnote. But I doubt that will ever happen. The other accounts, while fascinating and worthwhile (and freely available), are not really up to grammatical snuff. Cleaning them up for inclusion would be very problematic, leaving open the question of why we don't let the prophet speak for himself and why we feel the need to dress up what he really wrote. In the final analysis, I think there's plenty available for sincere seekers of truth to make a determination about the Restoration without adding the Prophet's non-canonical accounts as scripture.

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, Vort said:

I might well believe an offhand sarcasm like that to be true

No you wouldn't. Not even the most rabid anti person believes that, unless they are a whacky beyond reason conspiracy theorist. Virtually all my friends, contacts, neighbors, are not LDS and none of them would believe such nonsense.  

12 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

No you wouldn't. Not even the most rabid anti person believes that, unless they are a whacky beyond reason conspiracy theorist. Virtually all my friends, contacts, neighbors, are not LDS and none of them would believe such nonsense.  

I misread Fether's first post to say, "Human sacrifice used to be a part of every endowment session." Ridiculous though that statement may seem to us, I would not necessarily expect every reasonable person to disbelieve it on first reading—especially those who know basically nothing about the Church. But it was a misreading on my part, so...never mind.

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Vort said:

I misread Fether's first post to say, "Human sacrifice used to be a part of every endowment session." Ridiculous though that statement may seem to us, I would not necessarily expect every reasonable person to disbelieve it on first reading—especially those who know basically nothing about the Church. But it was a misreading on my part, so...never mind.

You might be right. After all, I never thought people would believe that vaccines cause autism or that 9/11 was an inside job. So...

Edited by MormonGator

On 10/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, Edspringer said:

Hi, folks

I got astonished when President Nelson said that next general conference would be a "blast" . 

Any ideias on how great this event will actually be? Especulations are welcome!

Conference or some of the speakers could be broadcast from Palmyra, NY and other restoration sites (???)