What to expect from the 2020 April general conference

Edspringer

I have received revelation on what the Brethren have planned for the April conference. I've been able to distill it down to a few bullet points.

• We will all be watching screens of a broadcast, either through Church broadcast or internet means.
  • There will be at least one opening song and one opening prayer.
  • Addresses will be given.
  • In between the beginning and end, there will be talk of The First Vision and the Restoration in general.
  • Business will be taken care of.
  • Music and video presentations...
  • Commemorative items will be distributed.
  • There will be at least one closing song and one closing prayer.
  • Many people will feel the Spirit.
  • There will still be protesters at various locations.

Remember that this is privileged information.  Try not to let too many people know. 

See thou show them unto no man, ...except to them that believe.

Edited by Mores

2 hours ago, Mores said:

I have received revelation on what the Brethren have planned for the April conference. I've been able to distill it down to a few bullet points.

• We will all be watching screens of a broadcast, either through Church broadcast or internet means.
  • There will be at least one opening song and one opening prayer.
  • Addresses will be given.
  • In between the beginning and end, there will be talk of The First Vision and the Restoration in general.
  • Business will be taken care of.
  • Music and video presentations...
  • Commemorative items will be distributed.
  • There will be at least one closing song and one closing prayer.
  • Many people will feel the Spirit.
  • There will still be protesters at various locations.

Remember that this is privileged information.  Try not to let too many people know. 

Man. Between you and @HiJolly, we have future General Conferences all laid out.

3 hours ago, Mores said:

We will all be watching screens of a broadcast, either through Church broadcast or internet means.

When I was a youth - it was difficult to attend at the tabernacle - which was the only way to watch conference.  Often we would listen to October Saturday conference sessions via portable radio somewhere in the mountains while deer hunting.  We would hurry home to attend the priesthood session at the local tabernacle - there were times we would be late and come still dressed in our hunting attire as many others that were late and also so dressed.

BYU was the first to offer a broadcast (in black and white) of the priesthood session when I was a student.  Then when raising my own family we would have to go to a stake center (while I was living outside of Utah) to enjoy live conference sessions.  When we moved to Washington state I installed a side band into my stereo system and we were able to listen to conference at home.  (I could also get BYU sports on the side band).

Thanks for the reminder of how things have changed - for the better.

The Traveler

I don't think we should expect the sealed portion to be revealed. I don't think the sealed portion will come forth until after Christ comes. I see this happening because Moroni said that the Jaredite plates were published after Christ came. If 3rd Nephi represents the second coming perhaps what will happen with the Jaredite narrative will be the same--when Christ comes again. It makes sense. It also makes sense that after the publication to the Nephites, the Nephites became so wicked that they destroyed themselves. I think this happened because they had more light and knowledge than ever before. 

6 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Follow up question:

What are you doing to prepare for the 2020 April General Conference?

I almost made a thread based on this question yesterday. This seems like a far more exciting topic!

Me? Not sure yet... so far I think I will just study doctrines unique to our religion and how they effect my life.

34 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Follow up question:

What are you doing to prepare for the 2020 April General Conference?

I would make two suggestions:

1. Pretend that you have been called to give a 15 minute talk on a subject of your choice.  Start preparing now to do exactly what you  would do to get ready for your conference talk.  Write out our talk - make as many drafts as you think necessary.  During the sessions of conference you may find it interesting how many talks presented during the sessions touch on your material and quote the same scriptures.

2. The Thursday before conference - fast and pray with and for our general authorities.  They will be gathering for a preparatory fast and testimony meeting that Thursday and you can spiritually join with them.

The Traveler

Reflecting on what President Nelson said at the conclusion, along with some of Elder Holland's comments about our 'conference tradition' for the opening talk, I wonder if the format of conference itself will change.

"... in spite of everything else this conference tradition may offer us, it will mean little or nothing unless we find Jesus at the center of it all ... we must cut through the commotion—joyful as it is—and fix our attention on Him ... But we don’t have to be in a conference center to find Him."

Edited by Wilderland
added quote

On 10/9/2019 at 2:14 PM, estradling75 said:

Priesthood session from Adam-ondi_Ahman?

On 10/9/2019 at 2:14 PM, estradling75 said:

Priesthood session from Adam-ondi_Ahman?

On 10/9/2019 at 4:02 PM, Vort said:

I was going to laugh, but that would actually be very cool.

Oh @Vort do you not realize how scary that would be in the eternal scheme of things?  Especially to those of us with things still to be repented of?

The Traveler

On 10/11/2019 at 9:15 AM, Queolby said:

I don't think we should expect the sealed portion to be revealed. I don't think the sealed portion will come forth until after Christ comes. I see this happening because Moroni said that the Jaredite plates were published after Christ came. If 3rd Nephi represents the second coming perhaps what will happen with the Jaredite narrative will be the same--when Christ comes again. It makes sense. It also makes sense that after the publication to the Nephites, the Nephites became so wicked that they destroyed themselves. I think this happened because they had more light and knowledge than ever before. 

The Nephites had what we call the sealed portion during the 4th Nephi centuries.

55 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Oh @Vort do you not realize how scary that would be in the eternal scheme of things?  Especially to those of us with things still to be repented of?

The Traveler

Having a session at Adam Ondi Ahman every year could get the saints ready for the eventual day. Perhaps they will eventually build a small conference center there like the one at BYU Idaho.

Two thoughts.

First, there will be more changes coming.  One of them will also be addressed at Conference much like some of the other changes have been after the announcement of them shortly prior to Conference.  Some may see it as a major change, others not so major.

There will also be talks about the First Vision and Joseph Smith.

-----------------------------------------------

Second Thought -

At least part of the sealed portion of the plates are very similar to the Revelation of John.  There may be a lot more exposition on certain things and events, but when seen together it should be seen that they basically cover the same things.  Much like the four gospels of the New Testament and much of 3rd Nephi with the Lord's ministry to the Nephites are very similar as well.

That may not be ALL of what is in the Sealed portion, but that is most likely part of the Sealed Portion.  For those interested in studying similar things as to what would be in the Sealed Portion I would say study the Book of Mormon alongside that of the Book of Revelation.

I’m actually skeptical that anything “amazing” will be done or said. I have a strong feeling it will be just a bunch of talks about the restoration, potentially done in a different location or maybe the release of the 2nd/3rd Book in “The Saints” series or other publications.

No new doctrine, no crazy announcement, no revelation to be added to scripture. Just a typical GC with a focus on the restoration.

I think only those that prepared themselves, as pres Nelson discussed, will have any notably different experience.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:32 PM, Wilderland said:

Reflecting on what President Nelson said at the conclusion, along with some of Elder Holland's comments about our 'conference tradition' for the opening talk, I wonder if the format of conference itself will change.

"... in spite of everything else this conference tradition may offer us, it will mean little or nothing unless we find Jesus at the center of it all ... we must cut through the commotion—joyful as it is—and fix our attention on Him ... But we don’t have to be in a conference center to find Him."

Sigh! I’m a bit weary of change at this point. It’s getting distracting to me personally. 

On 10/8/2019 at 11:48 PM, laronius said:

Isn't it obvious? They are going to release a translation of the sealed portion of the plates! It's gonna happen some time so why not now? Talk about the uproar that would cause! 😮

Maybe the rest of the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible. The book of Joseph of Egypt