Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy

Grunt

Here’s a few things we do: Attend church. Usually stay home after church and try to take a nap—especially now since we’re older and have less energy. Read. Some Sundays we visit extended family. Try to have family dinner. I like to do family history on Sundays. We used to have a Family Home Evening lesson on Sunday when the kids were young.

We don’t shop on Sundays! Nor do recreational activities like swimming, fairs, amusement parks, or attend movies or plays. We also did not have friends birthday parties for the kids. We might do birthday cake with family only, but never a friends bash. We also don’t do yard work on Sunday.

Things to do: study scriptures/conference talks, study Come Follow Me, family history, journal writing, cooking (but nothing too involved), work on calling, visit family, set goals for the coming week, go for a walk (when the weather is nice). Living in a hot place I find myself getting stir-crazy on Sundays sitting around. I do wish there was more to keep me moving when going for a walk is like strolling through Hades. I have felt the Spirit nudge me recently away from things that aren't necessarily bad (like reading a novel) but don't promote the purpose of the day. When I respond I do feel a difference in the day.

Here's my Sunday routine this year:

1.)  Wake up, make breakfast for the fam, get dressed, go to Church.

2.)  We usually have stuff to do after Church - like my boys take sacrament to a homebound member, my husband does some blessing, have meetings with bishops or presidencies, I usually accompany them if I don't have ministering appointments... etc. etc.

3.)  Go home, make lunch for the fam, take a nap.

4.)  Wake up, scripture study, work on my calling, play hymns on the piano, etc. etc.

5.)  Go meet with the extended fam for the rest of the day which usually includes dinner and football (either American or Real) if we're not picnicking at the beach.

16 hours ago, Grunt said:

What does "keeping the Sabbath Day holy" mean to you?  What are things you absolutely must do to accomplish this, according to you?  What are things you absolutely won't do?   

What does the Sabbath look like, to you?

To me I always try to always be aware of the activity I’m doing and if it is in line with what the church says:

“In harmony with this revelation, Church members seek to keep the Sabbath day holy at church and at home. At church, members participate in the sacred ordinance of the sacrament, which Jesus Christ instituted at the Last Supper and when He visited the Nephites (see Matthew 26:26–28; Luke 22:19–20; 3 Nephi 18:1–12). At home, members participate in uplifting activities that help them learn the gospel, strengthen faith in Jesus Christ, build family relations, and provide service.
By participating in these activities at church and at home, members can establish family traditions that will help nurture multigenerational families who are faithful to the Lord and who call the Sabbath a delight (see Isaiah 58:13–14).

What should I do and what should I not do on the Sabbath?

President Russell M. Nelson taught: “I learned from the scriptures that my conduct and my attitude on the Sabbath constituted a sign between me and my Heavenly Father. With that understanding, I no longer needed lists of dos and don’ts. When I had to make a decision whether or not an activity was appropriate for the Sabbath, I simply asked myself, ‘What sign do I want to give to God?’ That question made my choices about the Sabbath day crystal clear” (“The Sabbath Is a Delight,” April 2015 general conference).”

(https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/sabbath-day?lang=eng)

I make sure I have a dedicated scripture study and family history time. When I am with my family, I’ll play board games or appropriate video games with them (ie Mario cart or Super Smash Bros). On occasion I’ll do light recreation, my sister and her boyfriend are coming into town next weekend and want to go visit Bryce Canyon with us so we are going to go do a little hiking. 

We don’t shop, watch movies, work, play games alone, read non-religious books, or heavy recreation.

Edited by Fether

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Fether said:

I haven’t actually played Mario Kart cause we typically resort to smash bros.

Disgraceful! I am so ashamed of you. 

Seriously, the Gamecube versions are great games and playing them as a family is a wonderful way to spend time. Whenever we host exchange students we always play those games on the first night just to welcome them. 

Our Sabbath typically consists of attending church services and any other meetings our callings might entail.  When we come home we sit together and go through the next week’s Come Follow Me lesson.  A nap may take place.  I will spend some time writing a letter via e-mail to my geographically dispersed family and read e-mailed letters they have sent.  We may take a walk or bike ride along the nearby rail trail.  We will definitely barbecue for dinner, occasionally hosting the missionaries serving in our ward.  I will work on action items related to my calling if any are outstanding or prepare for an upcoming speaking assignment.

Later in the evening we may watch a movie on Netflix or read and will finish the day off by Skyping with our son who is attending school several hours away.

I will avoid shopping, attending sporting events, movies, etc. that would cause someone else to have to work on the Sabbath.  E.g., I wouldn’t have any qualms filling my gas tank as I’m driving somewhere except that requires an attendant to be at work so I don't.

That’s a very good, but profound question.

Well, here in Brazil we go to church in the morning, have lunch together and take a nap.

I like visiting my extended family on this day and reading gospel material (I have many books at home).

One thing that I occasionally do is buying food, and I mean for lunch, but only when there is no other way. But we don’t go to movie theaters, or engage in any kind of entertainment on Sunday. Sometimes we watch TV and that’s something we’re trying to work on.

On 10/7/2019 at 6:29 PM, Grunt said:

What does "keeping the Sabbath Day holy" mean to you?  What are things you absolutely must do to accomplish this, according to you?  What are things you absolutely won't do?   

This really made me think for a while.  I started going over our typical Sunday.  Apart from church attendance and not shopping (and similar constraints) I'm not sure our days are much different than other days of the week.  It is a day of rest. 

I thought that was enough.  But I'm thinking that we need to do more than that.  We apparently are at least going to church functions, and trying to do ministering visits, etc.  But we're not really doing.  We seem to be more focused on not doing.  You know what I mean?

We do have a morning family discussion on the week's CFM reading.  This helps us prepare for classes if we have them that week.  But is that enough?

It seems that most of the posts here are also focused on what not to do.  What suggestions does anyone have about what to do?

7 minutes ago, pam said:

I have thought more about this since conference since one of the temple recommend questions now asks if we strive to keep the Sabbath Day Holy both at church and at home.  

What keeps coming to my mind is that there are definitely some sundays where I do NOT “strive” for to keep it holy

1 minute ago, Fether said:

What keeps coming to my mind is that there are definitely some sundays where I do NOT “strive” for to keep it holy

I don't think anyone could deny that that would apply to all of us.

39 minutes ago, pam said:

I have thought more about this since conference since one of the temple recommend questions now asks if we strive to keep the Sabbath Day Holy both at church and at home.  

I scheduled an emergency recommend renewal interview Sunday night just so I could kick that can 2 years down the road.

It's harder since I'm working out of town, but some of the things we do are go on a hike (after church) or sometimes bike ride and walk to church.

Things we try to avoid are watching TV or driving to church (since the prophets have long counseled that members should walk to church whenever possible).

I guess the weird thing is that some of my extended family wouldn't let kids bike or hike on Sunday (church leaders have long recommended walks and hikes on Sunday), but they drive them to church even though it's not far to walk. To me this is strange because it is counter to church teachings. 

Of course, there is no judgement there and we don't always keep the Sabbath either, but it has made for some interesting family discussions. ;)

Edited by Scott

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Scott said:

It's driving to church (since the prophets have long counseled that members should walk to church whenever possible).

Really? I never heard that! Not a challenge, just surprised. In Florida we drive everywhere because things are so far apart. 

Edited by MormonGator

8 minutes ago, MormonGator said:
14 minutes ago, Scott said:

It's driving to church (since the prophets have long counseled that members should walk to church whenever possible).

Really? I never heard that! Not a challenge, just surprised. In Florida we drive everywhere because things are so far apart. 

Agreed.  I'd love to see a reference for that.  (I'd actually love walking to church if I could get my kids and wife ready in time :) )

1 hour ago, dprh said:

Agreed.  I'd love to see a reference for that.  (I'd actually love walking to church if I could get my kids and wife ready in time :) )

Yeah, we have ward members that live 30 minutes drive from the ward building and 1 hour drive from the Stake center.  It would be quite a challenge to walk to Church.  I'm 5 miles from the ward building so I'd be walking for 3 hours to get there.

P.S.  Whoa... I overstated.  I pulled out my handy dandy GPS and it's actually only 4 miles to the ward building and the directions said I can walk there in 1.5 hours (really?  I can walk a mile in 22.5 minutes?  Hmm... I mean, my son can run a 6-minute mile but not if he's wearing church clothes.)

Edited by anatess2

5 hours ago, pam said:

That's what caused me to ask.   I'm not sure I could answer that one "yes".  I don't know if I'll ever be able to.

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Yeah, we have ward members that live 30 minutes drive from the ward building and 1 hour drive from the Stake center.  It would be quite a challenge to walk to Church.  I'm 5 miles from the ward building so I'd be walking for 3 hours to get there.

That's why they said to walk whenever feasible, rather than always no matter what.

P.S.  Whoa... I overstated.  I pulled out my handy dandy GPS and it's actually only 4 miles to the ward building and the directions said I can walk there in 1.5 hours (really?  I can walk a mile in 22.5 minutes?  Hmm... I mean, my son can run a 6-minute mile but not if he's wearing church clothes.)

It's 1.6 miles for us and takes us 30 minutes.  

Edited by Scott

4 hours ago, dprh said:

Agreed.  I'd love to see a reference for that.  

The sources are readily available, dating at least back to the 1950's.   In the 50's and 60's it was for the calming effects of walking; in the 1970's and 1980's it was for energy conservation, and in the 90's to present it was for a mixture of reasons.

On our Church's website and see many references.   I remember a lot more that aren't showing up as well.

See this one for example, directly from the First Presidency:

“Worshippers should walk to church meetings where it is feasible and can be done without undue hazard to personal safety"

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1979/08/news-of-the-church/first-presidency-supports-energy-conservation?lang=eng

A few other quotes from our leaders that are the Church website:

It may mean wearing galoshes, but walk to church if you can.

---------------------------------------------------
In a letter to all stakes, wards, branches, and missions, the First Presidency encouraged members, among other measures, to walk to church meetings where feasible, hold back-to-back meetings, and hold all auxiliary activities on one day of the week.

----------------------------------------------------

In encouraging members to walk where appropriate to their meetings, the First Presidency cautioned, “In making this suggestion we recommend that Church members use wisdom and avoid undue hazard to personal safety in traveling to and from church services.”

----------------------------------------------------

It's not counsel, but I liked this one:

I like to walk to church with Dad—

It’s always so much fun!

We stroll along, I hold his hand,

We never need to run.

We watch the birds in springtime

And listen to their singing.

We taste the snow in winter

And hear the sleigh bells ringing.

We crunch the many-colored leaves

Beneath our feet in fall.

We watch the trees and flowers grow

When summer comes to call.

I like to walk to church with Dad—

I’m glad for all I see.

I’m happy when he smiles and says

He likes to walk with me!

I have to go and don't have time to post them all, but you can dig up a lot more sources on the Church website.   Just for fun, I can post more later though.

Edited by Scott

On 10/7/2019 at 7:29 PM, Grunt said:

If I adhered to the 1997 Gospel Principles, it would look like this to me:

1] no shopping
2] no hunting or fishing
3] no attending sport events
4] no participating in similar activities on that day

Gale

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:37 PM, anatess2 said:

I probably wouldn't walk if I were 4 or 5 miles from the ward building.  At my current pace of walking though, 4 miles would only take me an hour to walk as long as it was along paved roads or sidewalks. 

I imagine that many in Utah, Southern Idaho, and Northern Arizona may be within walking distance of the chapel they attend.  It's not quite so convenient for many others who live outside those areas as the wards are a little more spread out. 

In regards to keeping the Sabbath day holy, I feel that we should avoid work if possible and making others work if possible (though there are those that have occupations that require work on Sunday, for example, those who work at the power plant to provide the very power I am using to utilize the internet right now, or those in emergency services, or those who are required to work by their employer such as those who work at gas stations and such other locations).

In addition, we should try to focus our thoughts and actions upon the Lord and his words and spirit.  Even if we have to work we can still focus our day on the Lord and the scriptures.