Grunt

18 hours ago, GaleG said:

If I adhered to the 1997 Gospel Principles, it would look like this to me:

1] no shopping
2] no hunting or fishing
3] no attending sport events
4] no participating in similar activities on that day

Gale

You've been investigating the Church of Jesus Christ for a loooong time if you're working off a 1997 Gospel Principles manual. Even @theplains has a 2009 copy.

19 hours ago, GaleG said:

If I adhered to the 1997 Gospel Principles, it would look like this to me:

1] no shopping
2] no hunting or fishing
3] no attending sport events
4] no participating in similar activities on that day

Gale

This is very Catholic - focus on the don'ts.... it is so much better to focus on the do's.

• 5 months later...
On 10/8/2019 at 8:32 AM, Fether said:

To me I always try to always be aware of the activity I’m doing and if it is in line with what the church says:

“In harmony with this revelation, Church members seek to keep the Sabbath day holy at church and at home. At church, members participate in the sacred ordinance of the sacrament, which Jesus Christ instituted at the Last Supper and when He visited the Nephites (see Matthew 26:26–28; Luke 22:19–20; 3 Nephi 18:1–12). At home, members participate in uplifting activities that help them learn the gospel, strengthen faith in Jesus Christ, build family relations, and provide service.
By participating in these activities at church and at home, members can establish family traditions that will help nurture multigenerational families who are faithful to the Lord and who call the Sabbath a delight (see Isaiah 58:13–14).

What should I do and what should I not do on the Sabbath?

President Russell M. Nelson taught: “I learned from the scriptures that my conduct and my attitude on the Sabbath constituted a sign between me and my Heavenly Father. With that understanding, I no longer needed lists of dos and don’ts. When I had to make a decision whether or not an activity was appropriate for the Sabbath, I simply asked myself, ‘What sign do I want to give to God?’ That question made my choices about the Sabbath day crystal clear” (“The Sabbath Is a Delight,” April 2015 general conference).”

(https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/sabbath-day?lang=eng)

I make sure I have a dedicated scripture study and family history time. When I am with my family, I’ll play board games or appropriate video games with them (ie Mario cart or Super Smash Bros). On occasion I’ll do light recreation, my sister and her boyfriend are coming into town next weekend and want to go visit Bryce Canyon with us so we are going to go do a little hiking. 

We don’t shop, watch movies, work, play games alone, read non-religious books, or heavy recreation.

I'm in agreement with most of what you said, but I think instead of board games & video games a walk with your family and enjoying God's beautiful nature that he provided for our pleasure.