Daughter got her mission call

Lost Boy

My oldest daughter got her mission call.  It was a long time coming.  She always wanted to serve a mission, but she developed pretty bad depression her senior year in high school and ended up not graduating.  Basically a straight A student dropping out with one semester left to go. 

It all set in right after her Karate Sensei quit.  The new sensei didn't click with the students and my daughter quit Karate and within two months she spiraled out of control.  Meds didn't help, therapists didn't help.  She had constant suicidal thoughts, but thank goodness she never did anything to self harm.  This went on for several years and it was brutal.  I had no idea of what to do.  

She eventually found a job teaching Karate.  This was a true answer to prayers.  Slowly she got out of the funk she was in.  Over the next two and a half years she changed dramatically into a new person.  On her own started really studying to gospel.  She was instrumental in her best friend joining the church.  And she saved money the best she could because she wanted to pay for the mission herself.

So she finally got her call.  And yes, she would have been happy to serve wherever, but like her old man got called to one of the top three places she wanted to go.  I am so happy for her.  After the struggles she went through, it is hard to think of a better place to go.

23 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

And yes, she would have been happy to serve wherever, but like her old man got called to one of the top three places she wanted to go. 

So, where is it?

On 10/11/2019 at 8:59 PM, Lost Boy said:

My oldest daughter got her mission call.  It was a long time coming.  She always wanted to serve a mission, but she developed pretty bad depression her senior year in high school and ended up not graduating.  Basically a straight A student dropping out with one semester left to go. 

It all set in right after her Karate Sensei quit.  The new sensei didn't click with the students and my daughter quit Karate and within two months she spiraled out of control.  Meds didn't help, therapists didn't help.  She had constant suicidal thoughts, but thank goodness she never did anything to self harm.  This went on for several years and it was brutal.  I had no idea of what to do.  

She eventually found a job teaching Karate.  This was a true answer to prayers.  Slowly she got out of the funk she was in.  Over the next two and a half years she changed dramatically into a new person.  On her own started really studying to gospel.  She was instrumental in her best friend joining the church.  And she saved money the best she could because she wanted to pay for the mission herself.

So she finally got her call.  And yes, she would have been happy to serve wherever, but like her old man got called to one of the top three places she wanted to go.  I am so happy for her.  After the struggles she went through, it is hard to think of a better place to go.

Good for you both - I am convinced there is no greater preparation for a mission than a willingness, desire and determination to pay for it yourself.  I have never heard of someone that financed their mission to ever fall away (though it is possible that there is such an exception.)  My best companions and the most serious and dedicated missionaries I have known - paid for their missions.  The blessings for such a sacrifice will follow for the rest of one's life and include profound assistance with spouse and family.

The Traveler