Questions

toddthor

I understand that some of these questions cannot be answered, but I just wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were ~

Mormon 6
11 They had gone through and hewn down all my people save it were twenty and four of us
15 There were [many] more who did fall... yea, even all my people, save it were those twenty and four who were with me
• 24 or 25 total survivors?

Doctrine and Covenants 107
52 Noah was ten years old when he was ordained under the hand of Methuselah
Moses 8
19 The Lord ordained Noah after his own order, and commanded him that he should go forth and declare his Gospel
• Why was Noah ordained twice? (In the context of Moses 8 Noah is hundreds of years old, not 10, so they are in fact different times)

3 Nephi 19
11 Nephi went down into the water and was baptized.
• Who baptized Nephi? (Jesus had already ascended up to heaven at this point)

Brigham Young:
"He [Enoch] obtained power to translate himself and his people, with the region they inhabited, their houses, gardens, fields, cattle, and all of their possessions."
Joseph Smith:
"Now the doctrine of translation is a power which belongs to this priesthood. There are many things which belong to the powers of the priesthood and the keys thereof, that have been kept hid form before the foundation of the world; they are hid from the wise and prudent to be revealed in the last times."
• Who can/will hold the keys of translation?
• How is it performed?

Articles of Faith 1
6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church
• Was there a Quorum of 12 AND First Presidency in the meridian of time Church? If so, who were the three people added to make it 15 total?

Did Jesus receive the Holy Ghost? (Yep, this question)
But, I may have an answer already of "yes"
2 Nephi 31
12 the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me
• Among other things, this can be interpreted to mean that God gave Christ the Holy Ghost
• If Jesus didn't receive the Holy Ghost, it might nullify the argument used for baptism in verse 5,"If the Lamb of God, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfil all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water!" If Jesus wasn't baptized by fire, we could use this same argument against confirmation (I don't know why one would, but you could)
• Matthew 4 JST
1 Jesus was led up of the Spirit, into the wilderness, to be with God.
• The only person that Jesus could have gotten the Holy Ghost from is God (or Moses or Elijah, but they already have a role on the Mount of Transfiguration)
• If God bestowed upon Jesus this gift, it would explain why we have no record of it. (Heavenly Father would not just show Himself to people to do so).
• "Jesus wouldn't need to receive the Holy Ghost since they're both members of the Godhead"
Jesus also didn't need to be baptized of water as He was already perfect, but He still was baptized.
Those are my thoughts, but I am open to further knowledge on this subject.

Thanks for reading, have a wonderful day! 😄

32 minutes ago, toddthor said:

24 or 25 total survivors?

Yep!

Why was Noah ordained twice? (In the context of Moses 8 Noah is hundreds of years old, not 10, so they are in fact different times)

I have been ordained 4 times. Deacon, teacher, priest, and elder. I imagine they had some similar organization built then too.

Who baptized Nephi? (Jesus had already ascended up to heaven at this point)

Someone with authority. 

Who can/will hold the keys of translation?
• How is it performed?

I imagine anyone who God seems worthy. How is it performed? No idea.

Was there a Quorum of 12 AND First Presidency in the meridian of time Church? If so, who were the three people added to make it 15 total?

Not sure. Peter James and John were the “first presidency”, but did they replace he selves with other apostles? Not sure.

Edited by Fether

33 minutes ago, toddthor said:

Did Jesus receive the Holy Ghost?

I believe so.

34 minutes ago, toddthor said:

The only person that Jesus could have gotten the Holy Ghost from is God

I would challenge this and say anyone with authority could.

2 hours ago, toddthor said:

• How is it performed?

From the Church Handbook of Instruction 2:20.1.5 - "Translating Ordinances and Blessings: Guidelines for translating ordinances and blessings are provided in Handbook 1, 16.1.2."

2 hours ago, toddthor said:

• Was there a Quorum of 12 AND First Presidency in the meridian of time Church? If so, who were the three people added to make it 15 total?

From AskGramps' research:

If we overlay this modern pattern over the ancient, we find a consistency that can help resolve your question (while acknowledging that this ground is every bit as shaky as what we stood on before). The early apostles may have been under an “apostolic interregnum” for a number of years, maintaining a quorum of 12 until the post-Acts period when the Lord revealed that a First Presidency should be organized. If the First Presidency was formed later (say, about the time James was martyred), that gives rise to a number of vacancies in the 12 for Paul, Barnabas, and James the brother of Jesus to fill.

The bottom line is that the ancient record is too sparse to confidently reconstruct the primitive church. In contrast we have a modern record and, more importantly, modern apostles who have built up Christ’s Church today.

1 hour ago, mordorbund said:

From the Church Handbook of Instruction 2:20.1.5 - "Translating Ordinances and Blessings: Guidelines for translating ordinances and blessings are provided in Handbook 1, 16.1.2."

From AskGramps' research:

Not sure if you are giving out a joke there or not...

That particular section is for translating languages, for example if one is doing and ordinance or blessing and the recipient does not understand the language, one can ask someone else to translate.  At least that's what I think it's referring to.

I don't think that's exactly what the original poster meant by translation...

19 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Well sure. Elder Uchtdorf alluded to holier languages by referring to German as the "celestial language". I see no reason why other languages can't be translated.

I got nothing on that one.

Don't have a reply...especially since I have quite a number of German relatives who would agree with that idea you present above....well...at least the first sentence.

4 hours ago, toddthor said:

I understand that some of these questions cannot be answered, but I just wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were ~

Mormon 6
11 They had gone through and hewn down all my people save it were twenty and four of us
15 There were [many] more who did fall... yea, even all my people, save it were those twenty and four who were with me

24+Moroni = 25

Moses 8
19 The Lord ordained Noah after his own order, and commanded him that he should go forth and declare his Gospel
• Why was Noah ordained twice? (In the context of Moses 8 Noah is hundreds of years old, not 10, so they are in fact different times)

Aaronic, Milchezedek.

3 Nephi 19

The one Jesus ordained with the priesthood or somebody else in that priesthood line.

Articles of Faith 1

2 Nephi 31
12 the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me
• Among other things, this can be interpreted to mean that God gave Christ the Holy Ghost
• If Jesus didn't receive the Holy Ghost, it might nullify the argument used for baptism in verse 5,"If the Lamb of God, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfil all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water!" If Jesus wasn't baptized by fire, we could use this same argument against confirmation (I don't know why one would, but you could)
• Matthew 4 JST
• The only person that Jesus could have gotten the Holy Ghost from is God (or Moses or Elijah, but they already have a role on the Mount of Transfiguration)
• If God bestowed upon Jesus this gift, it would explain why we have no record of it. (Heavenly Father would not just show Himself to people to do so).
• "Jesus wouldn't need to receive the Holy Ghost since they're both members of the Godhead"
Jesus also didn't need to be baptized of water as He was already perfect, but He still was baptized.

Jesus is God.  He was baptized to fulfill all righteousness.  Baptism is the ordinance that brings a person into his own Covenant outside from his Covenant parents.  This is the Covenant of Salvation.  He would not need to be confirmed as He is God.  He would not need to be married because He is God nor any other thing to attain exaltation as He is already exalted.

7 hours ago, toddthor said:

Mormon 6

The answer would be 25 survived in accordance with verse 15. The idea that enters my mind is a general who asks another individual how many of us survived (how many men survived), and the response was 2000 of us. Later the general could say, 2001 men survived who were with me. (This includes the person he asked).

Moses 8

As others have shared, I have been ordained to the office of a deacon, teacher, priest, elder, and high priest. We don't know what Noah was ordained to in either situation.

3 Nephi 19

In this situation it could have been Jesus Christ. It could have been a different translated being who was brought and baptized the brethren in answer to their prayer. But as Fether pointed out, someone with authority.

Brigham Young:

"He [Enoch] obtained power to translate himself and his people, with the region they inhabited, their houses, gardens, fields, cattle, and all of their possessions."
Joseph Smith:
"Now the doctrine of translation is a power which belongs to this priesthood. There are many things which belong to the powers of the priesthood and the keys thereof, that have been kept hid form before the foundation of the world; they are hid from the wise and prudent to be revealed in the last times."
• How is it performed?

I have never come across these quotes, at least what my mind is recalling, so the obvious answer in our modern day is the First Presidency and Apostles. They currently hold all the keys that would be necessary for any ordinance of our time.

Our general authorities (1st and 2nd Quorums) may also hold these and may be given permission to act by delegated keys.

The other option might be any Father who has received the Melchizedek priesthood and has received permission from the Father through the Son.

Articles of Faith 1

Originally there were 13 all together. We have Christ (Prophet) and we have 12 apostles, which makes thirteen. According to modern teachings, we have Peter, James, and John as the presidency.

Paul was an apostle when there were at least 12 other apostles. Was he an apostle at that time when sent to Peter?

8 hours ago, toddthor said:

Mormon 6

24.  This is not that strange.  People say things like this all the time.  A squad leader in the Army is a leader of 12 men (or so).  How many in the squad?  12.  How many do you lead?  12.  Does that 12 include you?  Yes.  So, you lead 11 men?  No, sir.  I lead myself as well.  But you have 11 with you?  I have myself with me as well.

See how that goes.  If you find it unusual, start getting used to it.  People say this sort of thing all the time.  Sometimes, we'll say,"I'm leader over the 25 people in my department".  I may or may not add,"including myself."  Either way, I still say it's 25 people.

8 hours ago, toddthor said:

Moses 8

@Fether answered this just fine.  Yes, multiple ordinations for multiple priesthood offices.

This and almost all the remaining questions makes me think you must be a recent convert or something.  How long have you been a Latter-day Saint?

Of course He did. 

Matt 3:16; Luke 3:22; Mark 1:10; John 1:32.  Have you not read about the Savior's baptism?  You know, the form of a dove?

Edited by Mores

13 hours ago, toddthor said:

Mormon 6

Moses 8

3 Nephi 19

Brigham Young:
Joseph Smith:
• How is it performed?

Articles of Faith 1

2 Nephi 31
• Matthew 4 JST

Thanks for reading, have a wonderful day! 😄

If  you had read two chapters later in Mormon, you question about Nephite survivors would need answered...

And now it came to pass that after the great and tremendous battle at Cumorah, behold, the Nephites who had escaped into the country southward were hunted by the Lamanites, until they were all destroyed.

And my father also was killed by them, and I even remain alone to write the sad tale of the destruction of my people. But behold, they are gone, and I fulfil the commandment of my father. And whether they will slay me, I know not.

Therefore I will write and hide up the records in the earth; and whither I go it mattereth not.

Behold, my father hath made this record and he hath written the intent thereof. And behold, I would write it also if I had room upon the plates, but I have not; and ore I have none, for I am alone. My father hath been slain in battle, and all my kinsfolk, and I have not friends nor whither to go; and how long the Lord will suffer that I may live I know not. (Mormon 😎

and...

And behold, the Lamanites have hunted my people, the Nephites, down from city to city and from place to place, even until they are no more; and great has been their fall; yea, great and marvelous is the destruction of my people, the Nephites. (Mormon 😎

20 hours ago, toddthor said:
Mormon 6

Articles of Faith 1

In addition to what has been shared:

24 were with Mormon, including himself.

D&C 107:29 speaks of a “quorum of three presidents were anciently.”

Just because no one saw the laying on hands for Jesus receiving the Holy Ghost doesn't mean it didn't happen, and the sign given instead.