"Lord" blesses "his" Children?

NeedleinA

Curious to see what insight others have, simplified even better, on explaining the following to some youth...

Who is the "Lord"? Rather is there a way to know in the scripture who is being referred to, "Lord Jesus" or "Lord God/Heavenly Father"?
I've noticed the phrase the "Lord blesses his children" more and more. I'm sure it is striking me odd since I'm so used to thinking of "Lord Jesus".

ex. " Section 18 of the Doctrine and Covenants teaches us that the Lord loves His children and desires that we work on behalf of their salvation. " link
Thoughts? Thanks

5 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Curious to see what insight others have, simplified even better, on explaining the following to some youth...

Who is the "Lord"? Rather is there a way to know in the scripture who is being referred to, "Lord Jesus" or "Lord God/Heavenly Father"?
I've noticed the phrase the "Lord blesses his children" more and more. I'm sure it is striking me odd since I'm so used to thinking of "Lord Jesus".

ex. " Section 18 of the Doctrine and Covenants teaches us that the Lord loves His children and desires that we work on behalf of their salvation. " link
Thoughts? Thanks

https://knowhy.bookofmormoncentral.org/knowhy/how-is-christ-both-the-father-and-the-so

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/book-of-mormon-student-manual/chapter-20-mosiah-9-17?lang=eng (section Mosiah 15:1-7)

Christ is both the Father and The Son in different senses.

He is the father of the earth via his creation, the father of all those in his gospel, and the father in the sense that he has divine investiture of authority (he speaks as if he is God the Father)

48 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Thoughts? Thanks

There are obvious verses of scripture where Lord is referring to God the Father. There are other verses of scripture where Christ is speaking with divine investiture. These verses I am honestly not sure how you can tell if it is the Father (our Heavenly Father) speaking, or if it is the Son (only begotten) speaking.

IMHO, I don't think it is necessary to distinguish but to simply teach the principle of divine investiture where a person can speak on behalf (or as if they are) another person. I think Moses 1:6 is a good example. We simply need to understand what is being discussed not who is speaking. (something you already know)

When Christ is speaking as our Father (spiritually begotten) there are certain phrases that may highlight who is speaking. Psalm 2:7 might be a good example of this.

Thank you both @Anddenex & @Fether for your comments.

The oddity, at least to me, is that the statements saying, "the Lord loves his children" are coming from modern day sources like GAs.
Are GAs are referring to 'God the Father' as "Lord"?
This strikes me odd for some reason, perhaps since I've never thought about the title 'Lord' as being interchangeable to both the Savior and Our Father in Heaven.
I apparently have mistakenly only attributed the title Lord to the Savior this whole time. Oops.

Here is another example from Elder Richard D. Allred:

The Lord Blesses His Children through Patriarchal Blessings

If they where quoting scripture or something where the Savior was speaking, then I might see where the divine investiture aspect could kick in.
Make sense?

Edited by NeedleinA

45 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Thank you both @Anddenex & @Fether for your comments.

The oddity, at least to me, is that the statements saying, "the Lord loves his children" are coming from modern day sources like GAs.
GAs are referring to 'God the Father' as "Lord".
This strikes me odd for some reason, perhaps since I've never thought about the title 'Lord' as being interchangeable to both the Savior and Our Father in Heaven.
I apparently have mistakenly only attributed the title Lord to the Savior this whole time. Oops.

Here is another example from Elder Richard D. Allred:

If they where quoting scripture or something where the Savior was speaking, then I might see where the divine investiture aspect could kick in.
Make sense?

Yes, this makes total sense. My understanding of the interchange, which did cause some confusion for me, of Lord being used for our Savior or Heavenly Father began with debates with Jehovah Witnesses. The common question they would ask was, "What is God's name"? I then would try to show scripture where the Lord was referring to the "Son" because of the terms "I have begotten you." The Son is by whom we are spiritually begotten.

At that point I would get caught up on trying to figure out then who was speaking. I would actually almost argue that all scripture, outside of the garden of Eden, is the Son speaking with divine investiture (except for when the Father introduces the Son). As we come to the Father through the Son.

As pertaining to the talks provided, now I understand more of what you are saying, I honestly would say -- both. In this light, the Lord (Father) works through the Lord (Son). All things were created by the Lord (Father) through/by the Lord (Son). So when we say the Lord blesses us with Patriarchal Blessings we can say the blessing is from both Father through the Son. Unless the statement clarifies I always assume both, unless the doctrine is clear one way or the other (i.e. doctrine pertaining to pre-mortal events which are easier to see which is which).

I find myself making similar statements when referring to our Savior and the Father. I will say, in general, the Lord blesses us with (insert blank). In this case, I now am referring to both. I would say the doctrine of them being "One" comes to my mind. All things are through and by the Lord (Son), but we know without the Lord (Father) their is no Son.

What I find more difficult in this, is that our Savior our Lord is a trinity, and that we actually believe in a trinity (not the same as modern sects that believe in Christ). We know in Christ we have the Father, we also have the Son, and we also have the Spirit -- a trinity (Mosiah 15:1-7) as @Fether already pointed out this scripture. So when we say the Father blesses us, well, we can also be referring to our Savior who spiritually begat us.

So, I simply now, assume we are referring to both, unless there is clarification or doctrine (scriptural events) that make it obvious who the Lord is.

I'm just leaving this here in case future readers stumble upon this thread. Great verse, that might shed some light on Lord & Children issue:

Mosiah 5:7

7 And now, because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called the achildren of Christ, his sons, and his daughters; for behold, this day he hath spiritually begotten you; for ye say that your hearts are bchanged through faith on his name; therefore, ye are cborn of him and have become his dsons and his daughters.

Chapter 5 Heading reads:

The Saints become the sons and daughters of Christ through faith

Sourced from a talk by Elder David A. Bednar - Ye Must Be Born Again

On 10/30/2019 at 10:08 PM, NeedleinA said:

I think when people refer to "the Lord" they do not have a specific person in mind - any more so than people do when referring to "God". Instead they reference whichever member of the Godhead - each of whom have the attributes being testified of - that performs that work. "God answered my prayers" is not intended to be a succinct theological treatise on the Father's role of directing, the Son's mediating, and the Spirit witnessing.

On 10/30/2019 at 8:08 PM, NeedleinA said:

Thoughts? Thanks

There are times when blessing from G-d come by way of reproof and chastening.   As a side note - it seems to me that in most cases that G-d sends an angel to help us - it is not because we have been really good - more likely that we have not been so good (as per Paul and Alma the younger).

The Traveler