Christmas Party

Nacho2Dope

Our very favorite thing is having the primary sing. Having the primary do something ensures that parents attend. Seeing children do ...anything no matter how badly puts everyone in a great mood. We keep trying to tell the primary teachers that expertise is NOT the issue. We just like looking at the children.

Also no food that stains if you have carpeting. No purple grape juice or beetroot.

Feed the children and elderly first. (I always have a snack in my purse because this takes a while.)

Edited by Sunday21

When I was activities chairman in my ward we always did a ham dinner.  The ward provided the ham.  I then had a budget for potatoes to do baked potatoes.  I bought the potatoes and the foil and got volunteers to bake them for me.  Oh also the butter, plates, utensils etc.

We had potluck on everything else like salads, desserts, vegetables etc.   We just did water for a drink.

I did have some money for some centerpieces.  We had a contest to see who would get to take those home.  I put numbers randomly on the bottom of the paper plates.  If they had a number that corresponded with a number on a centerpiece, they got to take it home.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:31 PM, Nacho2Dope said:

My wife was put in charge of our ward Christmas party, just wanted to get some advice on what others have seen work, and what to stay away from?

Learn from some troubles I've seen!

- If you're dispensing drinks from big water coolers on tables in the cultural hall, put a dang towel on the floor under it.  Not a bunch of paper towelettes from the bathroom, not a washcloth, but at least a dishtowel-sized towel - larger is better.  Otherwise, old people will be breaking hips and little kids will fall on their noses.  Lemonade and basketball court floors don't mix.

- If you let them, the kids will go through the line first and take all the good stuff.  A good solution seems to be to call folks to the food line by table.  Or have someone manning the tables to tell the kids "Go through the line with your family".

- Buffet-style is probably the best option.  Make it so people can go down both sides of the food tables.  Stacking the tables against the walls means the line moves half as fast.   If someone wants to get fancy and make plates and serve them, you'd better have at least 10 people manning the kitchen and 30 servers, or it will take an hour just to get everyone their food.

- Have someone assigned to empty garbage cans during the event.  Don't let the ward building look like Colorado Marijuana Day at the park. 
Image result for park trashcan cleanup

Edited by NeuroTypical

On 11/11/2019 at 7:43 PM, Manners Matter said:

Leave Santa at the mall.

I actually appreciate this comment. Though it is not a hill I would die on, as I grow older I have noticed how Santa has grown further and further out of my life and now I can honestly say Christmas is more about Christ and family and I feel better off without him.

I would vote to “leave Santa at the mall”, but would also respect that vote of 90% of the ward and be just find with him coming.

Edited by Fether

On 11/10/2019 at 9:31 PM, Nacho2Dope said:

My wife was put in charge of our ward Christmas party, just wanted to get some advice on what others have seen work, and what to stay away from?

thanks 

Christmas Hang-ups was the best Christmas Party we've had.  We didn't do the play, rather, we did a narration in-between the songs.  One of our ward members was a professional singer from South America so she sang all the Hula Girl's songs and it was awesome.

Last year, we tried to do Christmas Hang-ups again but the Bishop wanted a simpler stage program (30 minutes instead of 1 hour so we can spend 1.5 hours fellowshipping with each other instead) so we took just 5 songs out of the whole thing and concentrated around the Nativity Story.

What works without fail is Christmas Carols.

2 minutes ago, Fether said:

I actually appreciate this comment. Though it is not a hill I would die on, as I grow older I have noticed how Santa has grown further and further out of my life and now I can honestly say Christmas is more about Christ and family and I feel better off without him.

I would vote to “leave Santa at the mall”, but would also respect that vote of 90% of the ward and be just find with him coming.

It would be sad to leave Saint Nicholas at the mall.  The better option is to bring back Saint Nicholas especially to the children.