The Military and Veterans Day

Traveler

Yesterday was Veterans Day.  I joined the military about 55 years ago during the Vietnam Conflict.  I joined out of choice and the purpose and reason for that choice is in part why I am creating this thread.  I was young and naïve.  I thought that the world was trending towards another World War.  I saw no other resolution to the arms race and the Cold War than eventual War.  I desired to know enough about war to be able to survive and protect those I love.  But, like I said, I was very young and naïve.

I came to the very quick conclusion that military service is not about an individual or individual survival.  I concluded that it is somewhat similar to a school of fish.  If they act in unison (together) the school will survive.  Those that wish to preserve their individuality will endanger themselves and others.  I learned that it is “better” to work together than to be “right”.  Being a part of something (like the military) has both advantages and disadvantages.  The biggest disadvantage is putting up with the stupidity and incompetence of others.  It is easy to put up with one’s own stupidity and incompetence – we learn that with every experience of our choices.  But putting up with such things in others is an art form that I do not believe is taught anywhere else.

Joining the military was a very big mistake – but it is a mistake that I believe should be required of everyone before they should be allowed to be a citizen of a country.  I was in the military (Vietnam era) when there was no honor for it.  We did not wear our uniforms while on leave – it would cause problems that were not worth it.  I did not include my “service” on my resume or job applications (with the exception of the job I got after college working for the Defense Department.)

I was asked yesterday about my military service.  I prefer to call it an obligation rather than service.  Especially, within the church it seems we like to talk a lot about our blessings because we live in such a blessed (Promised) land.  But blessings and promises are more associated with privilege and entitlements than responsibilities, obligations and sacrifices.   I believe current trends are too much leveraged towards individual aggrandizement, accomplishment, contribution, blessings and so on and responsibility is no longer a virtue.   Even religion has become an obsession about obtaining some individual glory, salvation and privilege before G-d that other can not or will not.

I have come to greatly prize my military experience, despite that I was unable to achieve any intended purpose in joining and being a part of it.  I use to tell the joke “What is the difference between the Boy Scouts and the military?”  - Answer – the Boy Scouts has adult leadership.  But sometimes our greatest lessons are not the things that bring us as an individual any lasting benefit – or even for the society in which we live.  For me, I learned a lot about life in a pursuit of obeying stupid orders that made no sense and did no one any lasting benefit – for no other reason and fulfilling an obligation.

The Traveler

Bury the Deep State and you just might get back a military that actually fights for honor instead of political aggrandizement.

And no, military service being a requirement of citizenship is not necessary.  A country that demands their women and children to go to war to achieve the protections of citizenship is a country of weak men.