Myles Garrett Suspended Indefinitely For Hitting Steelers Player With Helmet

Still_Small_Voice

posted by Bill Galluccio -- November 15th 2019

The National Football League announced that Cleveland Browns' defensive end Myles Garrett has been suspended indefinitely following an ugly incident at the tail end of the Browns 21-7 victory against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday (November 14) night. The Browns were just eight seconds away from their fourth win of the season when the game spiraled out of control. The Steelers were running what they thought would be one final play when Garrett took down Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph after he dumped the football off to running back Trey Edmunds. The two players tussled on the ground, and Garrett ripped Rudolph's helmet off his head.

As the two players stood up, they started to argue and push each other. Steelers offensive linemen Matt Feiler and David DeCastro tried to break it up, but Garrett clocked Rudolph on the head with his own helmet. As the two players fought, both teams rushed to the endzone sparking a melee between the players. After the players were separated and officials regained control of the game, Garrett, Brown's defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi, and Steelers' center Maurkice Pouncey were ejected for their roles in the fight.

After the game, Garrett apologized for losing his cool and admitted that his actions would hurt the team in the long term.

Read more at:  https://knrs.iheart.com/content/2019-11-15-myles-garrett-gets-ejected-for-hitting-steelers-qb-with-his-own-helmet/

I watched the end of this football game on this.  After this happened it appeared everyone was in shock for several minutes over this fight.  It's too bad Myles got that angry and acted in a violent and completely irrational way during the game.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

After the game, Garrett apologized for losing his cool and admitted that his actions would hurt the team in the long term.

That right there means he has more integrity than many of us do. To not only apologize, but to admit that he "hurt the team" shows great maturity. Sure, he lost his cool, did something really nasty, and needs to be punished for it. But apologizing is the first step towards making things right again. 

51 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

That right there means he has more integrity than many of us do. To not only apologize, but to admit that he "hurt the team" shows great maturity. Sure, he lost his cool, did something really nasty, and needs to be punished for it. But apologizing is the first step towards making things right again. 

Good for him for being accountable, but he should be out of football forever.

What reason did Garret give for doing this?  There must have been some cause for why he attacked the other teams quarterback.

Before knowing whether this was good or bad I would like to know what spurred this reaction from him.

His team was already winning, so what occurred to promote this violence in him.  If he was sucker punched or some other act right before this or during a play I might still think what he did was unacceptable, but was more justified than what appears to be that he did it...just because.

Guest Godless
2 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I was watching a video and one of the commentators said it looked like Rudolph kicked him in the crotch.  He definitely went after his helmet.  Rudolph should also be facing punishment for his actions.

Yep. Rudolph attempted to remove Garrett's helmet first, then kicked him in the groin. Garrett's actions were absolutely inexcusable, but Rudolph wasn't innocent in this fiasco.

7 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Good for him for being accountable, but he should be out of football forever.

Disagree. As I said, Garrett's actions were inexcusable, but he didn't initiate the altercation, and he seemed genuinely remorseful afterward. You rarely see that from players after a fight or dirty play. Ndamukong Suh and Vontaze Burfict come to mind, and the latter's career may finally be over.

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Godless said:

Disagree. As I said, Garrett's actions were inexcusable, but he didn't initiate the altercation, and he seemed genuinely remorseful afterward. You rarely see that from players after a fight or dirty play

I agree. He needs a firm punishment, but this is the NFL we are talking about. Not exactly known for their integrity and wisdom when it comes to disciplining players. 

For his own sake, he needs to learn how to control himself. It never ends well for people who can't control their temper. 

On 11/15/2019 at 8:34 PM, MormonGator said:

For his own sake, he needs to learn how to control himself. It never ends well for people who can't control their temper. 

I would feel better had you said: It never ends well for people who will not control their temper.  The word "can't" seem to imply that it really is not their fault.  I was taught by parents that thinking "can't" is a more dangerous door to sin than willing a incorrect response.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, LadyGunnar said:

I thought the game was about violence. Tackles and hits? It's all about it. People cheer when they can hear a good hit.  Would anyone really watch if it was all flag football?

He was being sarcastic. Football does sell violence, but it's controlled violence. There is a huge difference between saying "Oh boy, that's a great hit, he knocked the quarterback down." And saying "Dude knocked the quarterback down and he's being taken off on a stretcher. He might be paralyzed! . Yay my team!." 

I take Tae Kwan Do. ( @mirkwood can back me up on this, he's seen pictures of me in full sparring gear that my wife took. I think he's also seen videos of me breaking boards). There are few things better than winning a sparring match. However, 99% of TKD practitioners take caution not to really hurt your opponent.  So even in full contact sports, there is a line you don't cross. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

1 minute ago, mordorbund said:

Far-Side-Karate.jpg

My favorite board breaking quote comes from the Karate Kid. 

"So, can you break a board?"
"I don't know, I've never been attacked by a tree." 

Edited by MormonGator

On 11/15/2019 at 7:27 PM, Godless said:

Yep. Rudolph attempted to remove Garrett's helmet first, then kicked him in the groin. Garrett's actions were absolutely inexcusable, but Rudolph wasn't innocent in this fiasco.

Disagree. As I said, Garrett's actions were inexcusable, but he didn't initiate the altercation, and he seemed genuinely remorseful afterward. You rarely see that from players after a fight or dirty play. Ndamukong Suh and Vontaze Burfict come to mind, and the latter's career may finally be over.

Does it really matter who started it? You can't go from a scuffle to a full blown assault and not expect severe consequences. While I think that Garrett has recognized that he did something wrong I don't think he believes that his actions were criminal. I do think that they were. If I were Rudolph I would file criminal charges.

1 hour ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Does it really matter who started it? You can't go from a scuffle to a full blown assault and not expect severe consequences. While I think that Garrett has recognized that he did something wrong I don't think he believes that his actions were criminal. I do think that they were. If I were Rudolph I would file criminal charges.

Rudolph started it. I don't see how he can file charges when he started and continued it. He could have walked away and chose not too. He is to blame as well. 

7 hours ago, Vort said:

I don't believe it. Talk about blaming the victim! Will the vicious attacks on this poor guy never stop?

rudolph-the-red-losed-reindeer.jpg

You know those jokes/puns that are just so obvious that even your dad wouldn’t even use?

Edited by Fether

• 4 weeks later...

From what I read Myles Garrett was suspended the rest of the 2019 season which will cost him a little over $1,100,000 because he is not playing.  In addition to this Myles was fined $45,623 by the football league.

Read more at:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/21/myles-garrett-appeal-mason-rudolph/