Are We Overly Compelled by Church Culture and Human Tendencies to Say I Know This Church is True?

clbent04

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 2:38 PM, clbent04 said:

Are we overly compelled by Church culture and human tendencies to say, "I know this Church is true"?

Could the Spirit of God telling you to profess the Church is true sometimes be confused with the desire to conform and be liked by others in a social environment?  Or do members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints happen to be the only group on the face of the Earth exempt from those kind of human tendencies?

Should we feel more compelled to testify that Jesus Christ lives rather than saying, "I know this Church is true"?

What if a soul meets God? A lot of the questions would go away, because He is real.... Some times believers try to use theology to bypass that: because of being afraid to meet Him since they are taught they will go to hell for any deviation of ideas. 

7 hours ago, e v e said:

What if a soul meets God? A lot of the questions would go away, because He is real.... Some times believers try to use theology to bypass that: because of being afraid to meet Him since they are taught they will go to hell for any deviation of ideas. 

Hi e v e.  I haven't had the chance to welcome you to the forum.  I see your religion is Christian - I guess that's one of the Protestant faiths?

Anyway, the LDS faith don't believe that we will "go to hell for any deviation of ideas".

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Hi e v e.  I haven't had the chance to welcome you to the forum.  I see your religion is Christian - I guess that's one of the Protestant faiths?

Anyway, the LDS faith don't believe that we will "go to hell for any deviation of ideas".

I'm not protestant. I was raised catholic decades ago, and left as a youth once I was 18. I am just Christian though evangelicals have accused me of being neo gnostic. Even recently I studied that topic in depth, since I had never done so, just so I could understand why what I was being told about me was not true. For many years I was just agnostic, and involved in whatever I was doing and not really thinking of Him and making many mistakes. Then, one day when I was least expecting, I met Him and ever since He has been helping me and brought me along. I've never been in any denomination. His Church for me is He and His souls, ever since.  When first I met Him, though I had read scripture from many points of view being an academic, I began to study more, and wondered if to find a congregation...but then I saw that what He showed me didn't match the protestants, especially the evangelicals... so anyway, I've been on my own with Him, staying with Him and resting in Him and waiting for to go Home, hopefully sooner than later.