What does sealing of spouses imply and what are benefits?

richard7900

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:26 PM, richard7900 said:

Hi. Two people get married on the earth, but do not receive the testimony of Jesus. In other words, they do not identify as Christians. They die. In the spirit world the gospel is preached to them and they accept. We LDS perform a sealing ordinance for them.  Assuming that the sealing is valid, does it imply the spouses can obtain exaltation?  If they cannot obtain exaltation, is the sealing of some other kind of benefit?  Thanks.

We do not know.

It has been implied by Brigham Young (and to a smaller degree, Joseph Smith) that the sealing power actually extends BEYOND the Celestial Kingdom.  This idea has been reiterated by prophets after him such as Joseph F. Smith and Joseph Fielding Smith.  They felt that this power was so strong that parents who received exaltation could bring any children that did not get to the Celestial Kingdom, to the Celestial Kingdom with them (albeit in a lesser state).

Because of this, I'm not sure how the sealing bonds actually will work beyond the Celestial Kingdom other than those that do not receive exaltation will not be able to have eternal offspring or posterity. 

Some thoughts on the matter currently...

I imagine that, just as it is implied in the Old Testament, that the bonds of inheritance are actually carried through via the paternal line.  In otherwords, the lines connecting back to Adam are via a paternal genealogy rather than a Maternal Genealogy.  We see this genealogy given via the paternal line at various points throughout the Bible.  In addition, when a brother died, his wife would bear children to HIM via others she married.  They would not be her new husbands children, but her original husbands children.  This all points to a paternal genealogy that needs to link us back to Adam.

The question then is what happens to those who have fathers that are NOT connected to Adam or who apostatize.  Brigham Young taught the idea of adoption, where men would be sealed to men.  In this way, men who had no connection via the sealing power would be sealed as a son to another individual that would be righteous enough to be able to obtain those connections of power and authority.

Thus, I imagine if we are sealed to a Father that is unable to make it, that we are not undone, but that the sealing power will enable a way for us to either remain sealed to him and link the chain back to Adam, or we will be under the law of adoption in relation to sealing sons to fathers and be given another link to bring us in that eternal chain to Adam.

On the otherhand, it may be that sealing remains in effect in regards to our lineage regardless of Kingdom...however...those who do not obtain exaltation will not be able to progress or have eternal posterity.

We do not know, and presently it probably is not requisite for us to know, only to press forward in the hope that each of us will be saved and receive salvation and exaltation in the hereafter.

19 hours ago, richard7900 said:

But, from certain scriptures, I feel someone might say to the vast majority of couples - your desires are good,  but, you cannot be sealed together, despite your desire to receive the gospel and the marriage covenant, and the performance of the ordinance by proxies on the earth - because, according to your works in the flesh, both of you only qualify for an inheritance in the terrestial kingdom,  which kingdom consists of saved individuals in the single state and not the married state.

I'm not sure what scriptures you're reading, but D&C 138 (with the references to Peter's epistles) and 128 address this. Section 128 says that the records used for judgment (as seen in Revelation) come from both earth and heaven. This makes a certain amount of sense, as the "keys of the kingdom" authorize the performance and recording of baptism, and since that ordinance is required, there is no reason why heavenly tribunals would not use the earthly record to track who has received that ordinance. But 128 takes it further, saying that the sealing power makes it so that we can record things that didn't actually happen. Brother Deadgroom and Sister Deadbride were not actually baptized! No matter! We'll proxy baptize them and record that event. The sealing keys will kick in and it will be bound in heaven.

Section 138 launches from pondering a verse that captures the judgment that uses proxy records. The whole purpose is that the penitent dead may be "judged according to men in the flesh but live according to God in the spirit." Sister Convert shows up to the judgment bar of God. She is asked, "Do you have faith in Jesus Christ? Have you repented? Were you baptized in the flesh?" She responds in the affirmative for each question. She is told, "Ah yes, I see your baptismal record here. It says you were baptized in your local ward a year before you died. Everything appears to be in order - both with your life and your paperwork. Enjoy the mansions above." Then comes Brother Deadgroom. He is asked, "Do you have faith in Jesus Christ? Have you repented? Were you baptized in the flesh?" He replies "yes" to the first two but hangs his head when the third question is asked. "I'm afraid I wasn't baptized when I was alive." He is told, "I'm terribly sorry to hear that -- what's this?! I have your record right here. It says you were baptized in the New Orleans Temple two years after you died. Everything appears to be in order - both with your life and your paperwork. Enjoy the mansions above." Because of vicarious work, both are judged favorably and fairly "according to men in the flesh".

A similar scene would play out with respect to marriage and sealings.

4 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

But 128 takes it further, saying that the sealing power makes it so that we can record things that didn't actually happen.

To be clear: Things that did not actually happen in their lifetimes. All of the ordinances including baptism and marital sealings must in actual fact take place, in this case by proxy. After these proxy ordinances have been completed, the dead who repent and who willingly accept those ordinances are then as if they had made the ordinances in the flesh. (mord did go on to say exactly this, but I thought I'd point it out in case anyone missed it.)

Edited by Vort