Familiar Hymns

Guest Mores

I"m taking a survey.  How many of you are familiar with the following hymns?

• Now Thank We All Our God
  • For the Strength of the Hills
  • With Humble Heart
  • O Lord of Hosts
  • Again Our Redeeming Lord
  • O, Thou Before the World Began

As a musician, I am familiar with all of those. Now Thank We All, Our God is probably less well known because it is often associated with Thanksgiving, and, since we only sing 2 or 3 of our 5 or so Thanksgiving hymns on one (maybe two) Sunday during the year, it is easy for one to "fall through the cracks".

For the Strength of the Hills is one of those pioneer/Utah-centric hymns that will probably only be sung around the 24th of July or other occasional sacrament meeting where the local leader decide to commemorate the westward trek and establishment of Deseret in the western US.

The others are sacrament hymns and will be chosen based on the whims of whoever chooses sacrament music. If they are already less well known, those in charge will tend to choose better known hymns.

• 1 month later...

The only one that looks familiar is 1. Though the others could be variants of hymns I know.

One hymn I loved as a kid was "when a knight won his spurs in the stories of old". That's gone the same way as "onward christian soldiers" for being too warlike. Sing it now and everyone will be up in arms about cruelty to dragons. Grumble grumble grumble.

On 11/24/2019 at 6:39 AM, Mores said:

I"m taking a survey.  How many of you are familiar with the following hymns?

• Now Thank We All Our God
  • For the Strength of the Hills
  • With Humble Heart
  • O Lord of Hosts
  • Again Our Redeeming Lord
  • O, Thou Before the World Began

I don't recognize #4 or #5 by title, though I would likely recognize them by ear if I heard them. I think #2 is underrated these days and could use being sung more often. But then, I'm a big fan of The Wint'ry Day Descending to Its Close, which I think most Saints outside of Utah have never even heard. Pity.

16 hours ago, Vort said:

I don't recognize #4 or #5 by title, though I would likely recognize them by ear if I heard them. I think #2 is underrated these days and could use being sung more often. But then, I'm a big fan of The Wint'ry Day Descending to Its Close, which I think most Saints outside of Utah have never even heard. Pity.

I've been trying to get them to sing Wintry Day for three years.  But something keeps coming up.  And being Texas, it's only appropriate for about three weeks out of the year.