The Christ Child: A Nativity Story

Maureen

I looked to see if anyone had mentioned this video yet and it looks like this is the first one. 

About once a year the Missionaries will give my husband and me a call to make an appt for a visit. We tell them they are welcome to come over for a visit but we let them know a head of time on where we stand with the Church and our beliefs or non-beliefs. They say they will come over but never do. About 2 weeks they called to say they would like to visit and they ACTUALLY CAME OVER. There were 3 Missionaries, one from Utah, one from South Carolina and the 3rd one from Calgary. 🤔 The "Calgarian" was still waiting for his Visa to come through so he could serve in Australia. We did a little bit of "religion" talking, but also talked about guitars (playing musical unstruments in general), paintball and where we traveled to because of paintball. I even mentioned this forum and how there are nice people on this forum and also "not nice" people on this forum. 😉 We covered a few subjects while they visited and they were wonderful young men.

Just when they were leaving they mentioned this video. It's all in Aramaic with no subtitles. It's a wonderful video. Enjoy.

M.

I have always been intrigued by the epoch story of the nativity and am convinced that we are only given a small portion of the story - for a reason.  The verses in Luke provide so very little.  Most of what we think we know come from what we would reference as traditions.  For example, Luke does not tells us that Joseph ever sought for space at an Inn or that an Inn keeper pointed Joseph and Mary to a stable.  There is an ancient document called the Gospel of Mary (that was deliberately not included in scripture) that gives a version that some may even find certain elements offensive - like Joseph being older and previously married with older children of his own from that previous marriage.

I have some theories of my own from my own studies.  For example, I believe it to be possible that the new star was a super nova somewhere between 600 and 800 light years away.  The initial burst of radiation from the super nova hitting the magnetic fields of the earth with enough force to cause the ozone to become fluorescent - long enough to create the phenomenon witnessed in the Book of Mormon as a night without darkness and shadows because the light would not have a single point of origin but the entire sky would provide light as if it is was day.

The Hebrew math was primitive and did not possess a zero so the passage of a week would be 8 days rather than 7.  We encounter this same problem at the death of Jesus on a Friday evening and then rising 3 days later the morning of Sunday - which in reality is not even a full day and a half.  Also in many ancient cultures a person's age did not increment on their "birthday" but rather everyone became a year older with the beginning of a new year.  This would make it possible for the "Wise men" to have found Jesus within a few months of his birth if a Jewish new year occurred.  The time from the appearance of the star would be counted as the first year and upon the new year a child would be counted to the age of two.  So when Herod put to death all the children two years and under would mean all children born between then up to two events of a new year.  If Jesus was born before the new year his age would be 1 at birth and 2 at the new year.  If he was born just one day before the new year he would be two years of age at the new year - even though he was only two days old.

The Book of Mormon tells us that many signs of the coming of the Messiah were given and that the star was the sign of his arrival.  I have pondered that when the Messiah comes again that it will be similar to the initial advent.   But that the super nova would be closer - perhaps 400 to 600 light years away and that the radiation from the burst would destroy life on earth as we know it in an instant.  That only those "caught up" in what some call a rapture will remain alive and all others will be burned by the force of the super nova.  But I give this as speculation and not as "doctrine".

The Traveler

I know the Baptist believe in the Rapture but I find no Biblical evidence of such a thing being even presented as such.  They base it off of the idea of two working in the field and one disappearing...etc...etc...etc...but that isn't talking about the Rapture as they understand it.

In fact, life on this earth is supposed to continue until AFTER the Millennium when there once again becomes a great wickedness at which time all will be destroyed and I believe the earth rolled up as a scroll.

In many ways, the Book of Mormon is a direct parallel with the Coming of the Lord in the Book of Mormon the parallel to the Millennial reign and after the 400 years being the short time after when the world falls again into wickedness and the people are all destroyed.

On 11/27/2019 at 12:10 AM, Traveler said:

like Joseph being older and previously married with older children of his own from that previous marriage.

That is one way of reconciling the "perpetual virginity of Mary" with the fact that Jesus had brothers and sisters (Mark 6:3). Not that I've ever believed in the perpetual virginity of Mary. It's something I always always used to bring up whenever a Jehovah's Witnesses mentioned how Mark 6:3 "disproved the Pope".

53 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

That is one way of reconciling the "perpetual virginity of Mary" with the fact that Jesus had brothers and sisters (Mark 6:3). Not that I've ever believed in the perpetual virginity of Mary. It's something I always always used to bring up whenever a Jehovah's Witnesses mentioned how Mark 6:3 "disproved the Pope".

I also disagree with it, but I think it does date back to the Protoevangelion of James - 2nd or 3rd century, IIRC.

So a fable, yes—but an old and venerable one. ;)