Hey, all you professionals or those who at least masquerade as such, I got myself into a workplace pickle

Backroads

If you're unaware, I teach.

My school has this very precise system of reading and skill small group time where 130 students flood the various classrooms of the school in order that their specific reading needs might be met. 

Because of the 130 student names involved on an Excel file, it was decided teachers would pair up and rotate in organizing the sheet each time we took new data.

• Myself and Mrs. X were in the first rotation.
  • We were supposed to take time to create groups together last week but did not have the desired data.
  • We want to start new groups upon return from Thanksgiving break.
  • Therefore, I'm attempting to do this by myself* (sending the file to Mrs. X to look over and perfect when finished)
  • I'm terrible with this fancy-schmancy Excel file someone else created.
  • There's a lot of data and stuff involved. I started to type it, but then decided "a lot of stuff" will suffice. Just trust me it's very complex.
  • Did I mention I am terrible with Excel?

I will now add more information.

My daughter was very recently invited to participate in a medical study out of state. This goes from this coming Monday through Wednesday, keeping me out of the classroom until Thursday. This means I will not be there for any last-minute scramble to perfect these reading groups. I also hate to back out of this study now because about $5000 has already been spent on us to make this trip.

Folks, I don't know what I'm doing. I honestly don't know how to create these groups on my own (have never received proper training on how the file works, I suppose). I also hate to drop it all on my partner, who also has a very busy weekend, or leave the school without reading groups come next week. 

I'm not sure how the Excel can be all that hard to work with.  If the macros are written already, would it not simply be an exercise of inputting the child's name and scores and them being sorted out into each group as qualified?

If it is not that complicated, why not create a word file and simply divide the children out manually that way?

It's hard to know exactly what to suggest without a little bit more information on what the Excel file is supposed to do and the difficulties you are having with the data that you are putting into it.

I'd say overall with the position you have, perhaps put it off for a week and deal with your daughter's medical study.  If it is a family issue I would hope the school would understand such a situation and allow you to be able to take care of your family.  Study issues can wait, but many times family cannot.

Edited by JohnsonJones

13 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I'm not sure how the Excel can be all that hard to work with.  If the macros are written already, would it not simply be an exercise of inputting the child's name and scores and them being sorted out into each group as qualified?

If it is not that complicated, why not create a word file and simply divide the children out manually that way?

It's hard to know exactly what to suggest without a little bit more information on what the Excel file is supposed to do and the difficulties you are having with the data that you are putting into it.

I'd say overall with the position you have, perhaps put it off for a week and deal with your daughter's medical study.  If it is a family issue I would hope the school would understand such a situation and allow you to be able to take care of your family.  Study issues can wait, but many times family cannot.

I don't think the person who made the file made so specific of macros. It really is a lot of manual sorting. I also don't think I know enough about Excel to even begin to approach identifying my problems. Sigh.