When employers start refusing to hire Christians

clwnuke

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/tacoma-restaurants-caught-in-crossfire-when-speaker-seen-as-foe-of-lqbtq-community-stirs-protest/

As I read more and more articles about the shaming, cancelling, and outright harassment of people and groups who believe in traditional morality, I wonder how long it will be until employers and governments start requiring employees and citizens to renounce their "hateful" religious or moral beliefs as a condition for employment, professional licenses, or access to public institutions?

I can easily see scenarios in the near future where activists start going to HR departments and making the case that the mere presence of a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the office creates a hostile environment because of their anti-LGBTQ beliefs. Or that they can't be in a position of leadership because they inherently discriminate against LGBTQ people due to their religious beliefs (unconscious bias).

It seems to me that the conditions are rapidly ripening for the fulfillment of D&C 45:68 "And it shall come to pass among the wicked, that every man that will not take his sword against his neighbor must needs flee unto Zion for safety."

As the adversary works furiously to socially and economically isolate those who refuse to bow to his mammon and sin, I can more clearly see why we need a home based Gospel, and why we must hasten the gathering of Israel.

How long will it be until it won't be safe to attend church because you'll be harassed or 'outed' in social media? How long until local governments start echoing those who already say that church buildings are tax cheating fortresses of hate and start shutting them down?

Edited by clwnuke

Public Christmas decorations are a pale shadow of what they used to be, because everyone is terrified of "offending" people who are not Christians. (Not that most actual Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddists and Sikhs ever are offended by them - they know that although they do live here, this is still a Christian country. It's a bunch of virtue-signalling tub-thumpers who want to make a name for themselves by demanding "inclusivity" and the kind of "tolerance" that never tolerates anything but itself.)

(Yes I know that's nothing to do with employers refusing to employ Christians. I was just doing a bit of tangentially-relevant tub-thumping of my own.)

But having said that, what about your man Ken Ham and his replica "Noah's Ark" in Kentucky? He refuses to employ anyone but Christians. (And when Ken Ham uses the word "Christian" he's not referring to you or me!)

Edited by Jamie123

2 hours ago, clwnuke said:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/tacoma-restaurants-caught-in-crossfire-when-speaker-seen-as-foe-of-lqbtq-community-stirs-protest/

As I read more and more articles about the shaming, cancelling, and outright harassment of people and groups who believe in traditional morality, I wonder how long it will be until employers and governments start requiring employees and citizens to renounce their "hateful" religious or moral beliefs as a condition for employment, professional licenses, or access to public institutions?

I can easily see scenarios in the near future where activists start going to HR departments and making the case that the mere presence of a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the office creates a hostile environment because of their anti-LGBTQ beliefs. Or that they can't be in a position of leadership because they inherently discriminate against LGBTQ people due to their religious beliefs (unconscious bias).

It seems to me that the conditions are rapidly ripening for the fulfillment of D&C 45:68 "And it shall come to pass among the wicked, that every man that will not take his sword against his neighbor must needs flee unto Zion for safety."

As the adversary works furiously to socially and economically isolate those who refuse to bow to his mammon and sin, I can more clearly see why we need a home based Gospel, and why we must hasten the gathering of Israel.

How long will it be until it won't be safe to attend church because you'll be harassed or 'outed' in social media? How long until local governments start echoing those who already say that church buildings are tax cheating fortresses of hate and start shutting them down?

A question to think about, where is Zion these days?

I would not say it is Salt Lake City.  It has many members, but it also has a great deal who are VERY opposed to the church.  I'd say the most stringently opposed and strongest contingent of those who directly oppose the Church (as opposed to simply might teach against joining it or otherwise) are in what some would call the Mormon Belt of the United States.  I do not think that most people outside of that area even really care if one is a Mormon or not if they are not highly religious. 

On the otherhand, if they ARE in that area, it could become an issue fare more than elsewhere.  In that light, where is the Zion which they will flee to, or is it figurative.  If it is figurative than how will this operate in creating safety?

A reimplementation of the Law of Consecration and the United Order where all those who are Members own nothing but contribute in their assigned jobs (and work and jobs were in many instances assigned) and receive as according to their needs, each in the area of their ward or stake as needed...or something else?

7 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

A question to think about, where is Zion these days?

I would not say it is Salt Lake City.  It has many members, but it also has a great deal who are VERY opposed to the church.  I'd say the most stringently opposed and strongest contingent of those who directly oppose the Church (as opposed to simply might teach against joining it or otherwise) are in what some would call the Mormon Belt of the United States.  I do not think that most people outside of that area even really care if one is a Mormon or not if they are not highly religious. 

On the otherhand, if they ARE in that area, it could become an issue fare more than elsewhere.  In that light, where is the Zion which they will flee to, or is it figurative.  If it is figurative than how will this operate in creating safety?

A reimplementation of the Law of Consecration and the United Order where all those who are Members own nothing but contribute in their assigned jobs (and work and jobs were in many instances assigned) and receive as according to their needs, each in the area of their ward or stake as needed...or something else?

As of now, Zion is where we make it. Though there were times a geographical place was specified, Worrying about a specific location today seems to be missing the mark, pharisaical  even. Until the Prophet declares it to be a specific place, let’s hold on to the notion that Zion is in our homes and where we make it.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/zion?lang=eng

10 hours ago, clwnuke said:

I have a friend who is in the Alred Sect of Mormonism. Their beliefs on blacks is that they were not valiant in pre earth life. 

While running a sales team there were two African Americans he hired (among others) that didn’t work. Because they didn’t work they didn’t get paid very much. They had at some point found out he was a Mormon And then Filed a lawsuit against my friend because of he was “racist” and didn’t pay them equally.

Merely as a point of discussion, not all employers are under the same hiring constraints even now. For example, I believe that under certain conditions an employer of any given faith may refuse to hire a candidate who is not a member of that faith. Such an employer may even dismiss a current employee who is not a member of the faith, or who interprets some tenets of the faith differently than the employer does. 

Edited by Harrison

No one has ever persecuted me because of my Christian beliefs.   Some have disagreed with them and sometimes may have teased or even made fun of my beliefs, but never persecuted.  Of course things were 

In this country at least, it is usually the other way around (Christians doing the persecuting or being discrimatory), and has been that way for decades (though hopefully things are getting better) but for some odd reason, everyone wants to think that their group is the presecuted ones.   

9 minutes ago, Scott said:

No one has ever persecuted me because of my Christian beliefs.   Some have disagreed with them and sometimes may have teased or even made fun of my beliefs, but never persecuted.  Of course things were 

In this country at least, it is usually the other way around (Christians doing the persecuting or being discrimatory), and has been that way for decades (though hopefully things are getting better) but for some odd reason, everyone wants to think that their group is the presecuted ones.   

Could you provide an example of modern Christians persecuting people as a general rule?

3 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Could you provide an example of modern Christians persecuting people as a general rule?

In this country, not as a "general rule".   I won't use the words "general rule" because that would mean that a majority of Christians are persecuting others, which is not the case.  Most Christians are against violence against other groups.   But as a rule they aren't the persecuted in this country either.  For me to say that in this country Chirstians are persecuting people as a general rule would not only be innaccurate, but counter productive.   Christians, our Church, and everyone else should be working together to curb the violence.   

That said, can I provide examples of Christians doing persecuting?   Of course.

Do you want a direct link to anti-Semite or Anti-gay Christian sites, or just a list?

How may of these groups profess to be Christian?

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/groups

Also, do you think people who either had Christian beliefs or thought they had Christian beliefs used it as a motivation for abortion clinic bombings, gay beatings etc.?   

Can I provide examples of Christians being discriminatory?   Even more that then above, including from our own Church (whether or no we like to admit it).

When I was a child (but not a scout yet), black children in boy scout troops who had LDS leaders couldn't be partrol leaders.  Adult black leaders  in LDS troops weren't allowed either.   Whether or not you agree with the policy, it is still discriminatory by definition.  

PS, here are some FBI stats on which religions are persecuted:

https://kutv.com/news/local/fbi-stats-lds-members-less-frequently-victims-of-hate-crimes-than-other-religions

Look where our church ranks.   I can promise you that in this country, and as a general rule, we are not persecuted as a group now days.     

How often is someone in this country beaten or killed because they are LDS?   Or Christian?

Here is a list of people who have been beaten or killed in this country because they are gay:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_violence_against_LGBT_people_in_the_United_States

Do you really think the two are comparable?  

I ran into a person on another forum who flat-out said he would allow someone to take him to court for not hiring or firing a Mormon. He saw it as standing for what was right and he felt that society should not in good consciousness allow Mormons.

A relative yesterday at dinner mentioned a manager up at some office at Utah State University told them they were not allowed to hire white LDS males. Said relative smartly said sure, as long as the instruction was give in writing.

Sure, the law really does protect against this sort of thing, as it should, and I know of a few cases where the law won out.

But that does not change the fact there are quite a few people who will attempt to push anyway.

22 hours ago, Backroads said:

I ran into a person on another forum who flat-out said he would allow someone to take him to court for not hiring or firing a Mormon. He saw it as standing for what was right and he felt that society should not in good consciousness allow Mormons.

A relative yesterday at dinner mentioned a manager up at some office at Utah State University told them they were not allowed to hire white LDS males. Said relative smartly said sure, as long as the instruction was give in writing.

Sure, the law really does protect against this sort of thing, as it should, and I know of a few cases where the law won out.

But that does not change the fact there are quite a few people who will attempt to push anyway.

Agree. I don't doubt that if one cared to scan the Web for examples of discrimination in hiring, it wouldn't take long to develop a long list. I have observed first-hand examples of Christians discriminating against non-Christians (or against the "wrong" sort of Christians), of Christians being discriminated against, Mormons as both defendants and plaintiffs, etc. My first-hand list isn't particularly long, but I think it only illustrates that it's not an uncommon tendency.  The topic of the OP is only the tip of the iceberg of "reasons" people will come up with to hire preferentially without regard to actual legitimate job qualifications.

Edited by Harrison