Essential Oils, Do they work?

B.cole2

Hi all,

So i recently got to a group of people who are fans of the essential oils. They smell nice, and claiming for various health benefits ( I have depression to some extend, and insomnia)

But I'm still kind of on the fence about it, since it is not the cheapest to buy. Also I heard that you can also be a potential "seller" to make regular income, which is also appealing to me.

But that's what they say, I want to get a second opinion, here. Soo.... anyone's has experiences with those?

6 hours ago, B.cole2 said:

Hi all,

So i recently got to a group of people who are fans of the essential oils. They smell nice, and claiming for various health benefits ( I have depression to some extend, and insomnia)

But I'm still kind of on the fence about it, since it is not the cheapest to buy. Also I heard that you can also be a potential "seller" to make regular income, which is also appealing to me.

But that's what they say, I want to get a second opinion, here. Soo.... anyone's has experiences with those?

I don't have many...my thoughts are that they are like any other MLM...a pyramid scheme in disguise to try to avoid legal cases against those who created the organization in the first place.

My opinion is that...no, they do not work.

They may smell nice to a degree, but they are not truly a health item.

This seems to be a warning to me...

Many essential oils have not been tested on humans, thus always take precautions with using Aromatherapy.

Essential oils do not necessarily have the same healing properties of the plant it comes from. Herbal products sometimes contain different chemical components than the essential oil derived from the same plant. Therapeutic results may be experienced when using an herbal product from that of a blended essential oil.

Uncertain if this is the same essentials oils...but there is an essentials oils that has been issued a warning letter from the FDA several years ago in 2014

FDA enforcement and criminal investigations - warning letter - young living

An article covering it more recently states

In 2014, the FDA issued warnings to three companies, including Utah-based doTERRA — one of the largest companies that produces essential oils — about the medical claims distributors had made about their products. In its warning letter to doTERRA, the FDA stated that at least 15 of its essential oil compounds were being "promoted for conditions that cause them to be [classified as] drugs" by certain distributors. Those conditions included Ebola, cancer, brain injury, autism, Alzheimer's Disease, tumor reduction, and ADHD.

The FDA hasn't approved any essential oil products as drugs because they haven't met the agency's standard for safety or effectiveness — so any time a seller makes a claim about their potential therapeutic use, they're required to include the following FDA disclosure: "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease."

In a letter responding to the FDA, which was obtained by ATTN: through a public records request, doTERRA president David Stirling said the company had taken immediate corrective action to address the agency's concerns. They sent a company-wide email reiterating its policy, which instructs sellers to include the FDA disclosure on their personal websites and in other marketing material. The company also contacted individuals cited in the agency's warning letter and promised to improve the company's compliance monitoring system and hire additional staff to ensure that distributors are adhering to corporate guidelines.

article on essential oils

I personally would not get involved with them in that scale or level.  If you think aromatherapy would help you go instead to a licensed M.D. and ask for their opinion and help in obtaining the right medications and therapy in a professional setting.

8 hours ago, B.cole2 said:

Hi all,

Some do have natural effects that can benefit your life. For example, my nose, for whatever reason, gets clogged every night and I wake up with cotton mouth every morning. 

I started putting peppermint on the bottom of my toes and it fixed the problem due to there being some duct or sinus or something that connects the toes to the nose. Recently however I found that a cheap nasal spray at Walmart does a little better job. Nevertheless, peppermint on my toes cleared my nose.

So there are various applications like that you can use to better your life. But they are not the secret fountain of youth many proclaim them to be.

I dabble. I own a small box of them. I think they smell good. I may have used some on general aromatherapy advice. Do they work? Sure, I'll accept the anecdotes here and there. I like the idea of them working. Funnily enough, the more out there and "woo" the claim (i.e., this will open this meridian to new experiences) the more at peace I am with the claim ("well, I wouldn't know where to begin the science on that, so okay") It's the more medical claims I get iffy over (are you sure this will effectively treat a UTI?)

I don't buy from oil MLMs, largely because of the price, a bit because some MLM folks be crazy, and also because I know a few people who actually fill the bottles at Young Living and doTerra and the intense purity claim doesn't exist. I'll order good oils elsewhere for a fraction of the price, thanks.

So, they have no power in making big medical claims for their companies, it seems most trained aromatherapists lack strong preferences for companies and would be the ones to consult medically anyway.

It you want to sell for a hobby, that's fine, but it usually takes intense work and intense luck to make significant money in such companies.

I also wouldn't buy from MLM companies if price is a concern, you can get fine oils for much cheaper at your local health food store.

Edited by Backroads

Guest MormonGator

Simply put, no. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/essential-oils_l_5d93a00de4b0019647b010df

It's also highly probable that you will lose money attempting to sell them. Someone once told my wife she could make "six figures" selling them. My wife said, "Do you make six figures selling them?" The lady said "No." My wife said "Do you make minimum wage selling them?" The lady said nothing and called my wife "unsupportive."  

It blows my mind how many people are involved in MLM schemes. 

Edited by MormonGator

Depends on what you're using them for, I suppose.  There is a smelly blend that I sometimes put in the diffuser at night.  It calms me and helps me fall asleep if I'm sick or not tired.  I don't think it's a magical property, though.  I think I just like the smell.  That's enough for me.  

My wife got something at church that she puts on my temples if I have a headache that helps.  I think it's because it evaporates and feels cool as well as smelling good.  I also got something I put on my back that's like icy hot.  I like it.

Guest MormonGator

What really infuriates me is when sellers of this snake oil claim it can cure cancer, infertility, HIV, etc.

If you (generic) want to use it because you think it cures your anxiety or depression, fine.  It's just the placebo effect,  but it is your money and time so knock yourself out. But when these :: ahem :: "entrepreneurs" make ridiculous claims about what these things can do, it crosses every line out there. And in my view, becomes criminal. 

- Aromas can affect mood sometimes, with some people.
- The placebo effect sometimes is a real thing.

Regarding essential oils, anyone claiming anything beyond those two things, is to be viewed with suspicion and held as inherently untrustworthy until proven otherwise.   We are all greater than the sum of our parts, but someone believing essential oils are anything more than they are, is a negative count on that part.

Scents can remind you of...things...pleasant or unpleasant. These memories can help you cope with insomnia. I took neuroanatomy, not by choice, the area to do with scent weaves itself around the brain. 

Does some scent have a pleasant memory for you? Pumpkin spice? Peppermint? Lavender? Easy to find out. Go to a bulk barn or winners and sniff the bottles. Put a bit of that scent on your pillow, ban work/news/worry from the bedroom and the scent can help soothe you.

I had always been prejudiced against them simply because of the name "Essential."  There's nothing essential (meaning necessary) about them.  Then someone explained that the adjective is used because the oils are made  of the 'essence' of the different plants.  I guess that makes sense, but I still think the name is misleading.

Do they work?

Well... depends on what you mean by "it's working".  Yes, essential oils work - if you're talking about what they're INTENDED to do (which may not be what you're EXPECTING to happen).  Essential Oils is simply one of many homeopathic remedies in holistic medicine.  Here's a reply I gave in another thread about homeopathic cures:

If you're thinking of selling essential oils like Do Terra and all those other "Fad" outfits - yes, you can make money but you HAVE TO already know how to run a business and sell something like any other sales endeavor.  If you're one of those many many people who think, oh, I'm going to sell essential oils while I ... take care of my brand new baby... or... in my spare time... or... as a hobby.... or... I don't like selling but talking to my friends about essential oils is not selling... or... etc. etc. you're going to lose your money.

I just started a soap and candle making business that uses essential oils.  My target income is $1,000 per month.  It's not going to support my family but my husband supports my family.  My soap and candle business is my answer to my mid-life crisis.  Can I make my soap and candle business profitable enough to support my family?  Yes.  I am very sure of it.  But it will be an 80-hour per week job at the onset until I get profitable enough to hire out.  I can make a lot more money with a lot less time doing what I do best - programming on my computer.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:39 PM, dprh said:

I had always been prejudiced against them simply because of the name "Essential."  There's nothing essential (meaning necessary) about them.  Then someone explained that the adjective is used because the oils are made  of the 'essence' of the different plants.  I guess that makes sense, but I still think the name is misleading.

The term Essential Oil was created to differentiate it from the centuries old Parfum or Fragrance Oil.  It has no bearing to the interpretation that it is essential to one's well-being in the same manner that American football has no bearing to the interpretation that you have to kick the ball with your foot.

Edited by anatess2

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

P.S.  If you want to buy good quality essential oils cheaper than the fad outfits, check out candle and soapmaking suppliers near you.

Do you have a website/link to YOUR soap and canle business where I can look up for more info? I'm intrigued.

2 hours ago, B.cole2 said:

Do you have a website/link to YOUR soap and canle business where I can look up for more info? I'm intrigued.

Due to <reasons>, i try to keep a level of anonimity on these forums.  But you can ask me anything and I'll answer to the best of my ability.  There's also this very popular channel on youtube you can scour for all kinds of info from hobby soaping to business soaping called Bramble Berry.  They also sell good quality essential oils cheaper than the Direct Marketers.

Edited by anatess2

Guest LiterateParakeet
58 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

That's such a weird obsession to have Backroads. 

By the way, this was my last batch. You can ask @LiterateParakeet and @zil (remember her?) how my soap is. I've sent them bars before! 

Best obession ever!  MormonGator's soap is great!