Essential Oils, Do they work?

B.cole2

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

That's such a weird obsession to have Backroads. 

By the way, this was my last batch. You can ask @LiterateParakeet and @zil (remember her?) how my soap is. I've sent them bars before! 

78995777_560541194778584_7786669767984676864_n.jpg

Best soap ever! :)  MG is my generous soap benefactor, and has sent me soap on multiple occasions.  No idea why commercial folk can't make soap this good.

43 minutes ago, zil said:

Best soap ever! :)  MG is my generous soap benefactor, and has sent me soap on multiple occasions.  No idea why commercial folk can't make soap this good.

So are you back, or is this a one off? (Don't get my hopes up now).

22 minutes ago, person0 said:

So are you back, or is this a one off? (Don't get my hopes up now).

Undecided.  I've been lurking more over the past few weeks.  What I can't figure out is why the Comet thread has yet to mention any of the other reindeer - I mean, if he hits the Earth that hard, I'm thinking it's gonna affect the other reindeer and the sleigh.  And this would indicate Santa doesn't keep them on Earth (not enough room), but that would also explain how they manage to haul so many presents around so quickly...  Sure, the moon is interesting and all, but not nearly so important...

21 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yay Zil!  Best way to kick off the Christmas season ever!

I... I... I haven't fountain penned in most of 2019.  😩

I have to go renew my driver's license now, but I'll have a word or two for you when I get back (assuming I get back).  You could save yourself by posting a FP-written response. ;)

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

That's such a weird obsession to have Backroads. 

By the way, this was my last batch. You can ask @LiterateParakeet and @zil (remember her?) how my soap is. I've sent them bars before! 

78995777_560541194778584_7786669767984676864_n.jpg

I came home a few months ago to find two-fifths of vodka and two-fifths of rum on our counter. I wondered whether Sister Vort had made some, um, decisions of which I was not aware.

Turns out I was right. Sister Vort had decided to try out making vanilla extract, and the 80-proof vodka and rum were perfect for the job. She got some Madagascar vanilla beans, and several months later, we're giving out rum and vodka vanilla extract to our relatives. They're really cute, in little 6-ounce bottles with cool-looking stickers attached. If I remember, I'll take a picture and post it. (The first three words of the previous sentence translate to, "Don't hold your breath.")

54 minutes ago, Vort said:

I came home a few months ago to find two-fifths of vodka and two-fifths of rum on our counter. I wondered whether Sister Vort had made some, um, decisions of which I was not aware.

Turns out I was right. Sister Vort had decided to try out making vanilla extract, and the 80-proof vodka and rum were perfect for the job. She got some Madagascar vanilla beans, and several months later, we're giving out rum and vodka vanilla extract to our relatives. They're really cute, in little 6-ounce bottles with cool-looking stickers attached. If I remember, I'll take a picture and post it. (The first three words of the previous sentence translate to, "Don't hold your breath.")

Homesteaders unite!

I have coffee, non-disposable teabags, and beer on my dining table... coffee, tea, and beer make great soaps. 

6 minutes ago, zil said:

NT.thumb.jpg.d6b981079266991b26523de50d0b4f61.jpg

@NeuroTypical, @anatess2, @Vort

(68gsm Tomoe River paper in a Hippo Noto notebook)

Do you know that my son still carries the same 2 Lamy's that I first gave him?  He is taking both on his mission in January.  I had to stock him up on inks because they are pricey in the Philippines and he's been going through a Lamy bottle in a few months!

Edited by anatess2

On 12/1/2019 at 12:50 AM, Fether said:

For example, my nose, for whatever reason, gets clogged every night and I wake up with cotton mouth every morning. 

I started putting peppermint on the bottom of my toes and it fixed the problem due to there being some duct or sinus or something that connects the toes to the nose.

Rudolph has the same problem at the moment. Speaking as chief reindeer carer, can you let me know if the peppermint has any impact on nasal shininess?

8 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Rudolph has the same problem at the moment. Speaking as chief reindeer carer, can you let me know if the peppermint has any impact on nasal shininess?

I does not, however if you try putting peppermint in your nose... it will likely turn more red.

On 11/29/2019 at 11:14 PM, B.cole2 said:

Hi all,

So i recently got to a group of people who are fans of the essential oils. They smell nice, and claiming for various health benefits ( I have depression to some extend, and insomnia)

But I'm still kind of on the fence about it, since it is not the cheapest to buy. Also I heard that you can also be a potential "seller" to make regular income, which is also appealing to me.

But that's what they say, I want to get a second opinion, here. Soo.... anyone's has experiences with those?

They smell nice.  Some of them anyway.  Well, a few do.  I mean... no accounting for taste.

Apart from that, they're pretty useless.

13 hours ago, askandanswer said:

How is the navigation going? I fear that there is a glitch in the system. Santa has not visited me for sometime! Perhaps Canada is off the route? Our caribou are too fat to pull sleighs lately.

5 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

As part of their contract negotiations with Santa, the United Elves Brotherhood has placed a temporary ban on deliveries to Santa. Perhaps you can bring your expertise to assist?

It's a closely guarded secret that Santa's sleigh is powered primarily by essential oils, and the environmentalists are going crazy. The elves are neck-deep in damage control, and they're using the scandal to leverage their union negotiations. Ugly stuff. Stay tuned.

4 hours ago, askandanswer said:

As part of their contract negotiations with Santa, the United Elves Brotherhood has placed a temporary ban on deliveries to Canada. Perhaps you can bring your expertise to assist?

I am on it! My team and I will begin by inviting the Claus team to mediate. Expect late night sessions powered by cocoa and sugar cookies!

@B.cole2There is a preponderance of scientific research that demonstrates that we humans are greatly affected by our sense of smell.  Besides science; there is a great deal of personal experience you may want to reference - however @MormonGator made a most obvious observation when he stated that aroma therapy is not a cure for much of anything.  That said - few keep skunks for pets, passing gas in elevators is not socially acceptable and no one (that I know) loves using a bathroom dominated by the most naturally odors.

The science of our sense of smell is that of all our senses, the sense of smell has the strongest connection to memory.  Regardless of how much time has passed we remember unpleasant and pleasant smells.  Primarily for this reason the use of aroma therapy is highly effective in affecting a person's mood.  For example, regardless of how good looking and charming a partner is - if they smell like a sauna or an outhouse - it will ruin the magic of a romantic moment - unless someone is personally attracted to and excited by the sauna or outhouse smells.   This brings me to my next point - scientifically we humans are classed as an intelligent species - this means that our cognitive awareness are learned.  This means that different humans will have different reactions to different smells.  What you personally find to smell most delightful - somebody somewhere is likely to have a much different response.  A note in passing - whenever individuals of the same species respond differently to a common stimulus - it is most likely because it is a learned response.  Which means - just because you have learned to like something - does not mean that everybody else will enjoy it also.

There is a caveat to smells - the human brain tends to filter out long standing stimulus from our senses.  For whatever reason the human awareness is most heightened by change.   So if your home always smells the same (regardless of the cause of it) you will tend to not notice it over time.  Often people that smoke or have pets (among other things) in their home are unaware of how bad it may smell to others.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler