Guaranteed Income Supplement

Sunday21

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I would encourage that you have faith in G-d and in all things - especially in the preservation of your right and liberties, give credit to him.

Actually, you can "have faith in God and in all things, especially the preservation of your rights and liberties" and still fight to protect those rights and liberties. In fact, a prophet even said "If I knew God was coming tomorrow, I'd still plant a tree today." 

35 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Actually, you can "have faith in God and in all things, especially the preservation of your rights and liberties" and still fight to protect those rights and liberties. In fact, a prophet even said "If I knew God was coming tomorrow, I'd still plant a tree today." 

He's right.  I'm going to quit my job and stop paying my mortgage because I have faith in God and in all things.

19 minutes ago, Grunt said:

He's right.  I'm going to quit my job and stop paying my mortgage because I have faith in God and in all things.

If you do, this less faithful person will gladly assume your loan in exchange for ownership of the property.  You can even keep living there; your faith rewarded!  That is, assuming you've already paid about 1/2 the principal.  😀😀😀

Edited by person0

Assuming a 50% paid off mortgage in the current market would likely be more than a 100% instant return on my investment.  Even if I were to pay it off over the next 15 years and let the person live there until it were paid off and sell it after, chances are fairly good that the payoff would be worth it.  If I had the cash on hand to pay it off immediately, it would be better to just invest the money for the 15 years, but if I didn't, then the return after 15 years would very likely be much greater than the alternative gradual investment over time.  I said I'd let you keep living there; I didn't say how long!  😁

34 minutes ago, person0 said:

Assuming a 50% paid off mortgage in the current market would likely be more than a 100% instant return on my investment.  Even if I were to pay it off over the next 15 years and let the person live there until it were paid off and sell it after, chances are fairly good that the payoff would be worth it.  If I had the cash on hand to pay it off immediately, it would be better to just invest the money for the 15 years, but if I didn't, then the return after 15 years would very likely be much greater than the alternative gradual investment over time.  I said I'd let you keep living there; I didn't say how long!  😁

The website isn't working for me.  I wasn't confused, it's just the only reaction the site would let me choose.  😫

20 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I entirely agree with the concepts of faith in G-d.  But I understand that G-d will inspire some to carry a gun and so act to preserve the rights and liberties of themselves and others.  But I also understand that G-d will inspire some to put away their weapons (like the Anti Nephi Lehies).   And that it is through G-d and following his inspiration to those that love and respect him that our rights and liberties are preserved.   I am concerned that some may think that they can preserve their rights and liberties simply by having a gun available.  I believe the first step to preserve our right and liberties is to love, respect and obey G-d.  This is what is necessary and sufficient.  A single desire to have a gun is neither necessary or sufficient. 

The Traveler

• 3 months later...
On 12/2/2019 at 10:55 AM, estradling75 said:

I also like the idea of experiments because they can show/clarify points and ideas we only think we know...

However I see some issues that a short term experiment can't take into account... For one Inflation.  If people have more money then the cost of goods will go up.  This happens slowly but it does happen... This is why you can't see a movie for a nickel anymore.  If everyone has an extra thousand then in time cost will inflate and that thousand will not cut it.  This puts us right back were we started.  If we are going to do this I want a fix, not something that just passes it down to the next generation.

The other issue I see is this

While short term experiments can be funded by donations, grants, or other voluntary means... One can't scale up without it becoming compulsory.  Plus there is the simple fact that if you become dependent on anyone for anything you become subject to control because of said dependency.

All true!

i am interested, in part, because I find the issue of poverty to be: important to human welfare, complex and frequently counterintuitive. Many people find issues with these 3 features to be interesting.

My reaction to this area of endeavor, reducing poverty, is ‘Oh, How Interesting! ‘What does the data say? What about this data: suggests that this data may or may not apply?

Edited by Sunday21

48 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

All true!

i am interested, in part, because I find the issue of poverty to be: important to human welfare, complex and frequently counterintuitive. Many people find issues with these 3 features to be interesting.

My reaction to this area of endeavor, reducing poverty, is ‘Oh, How Interesting! ‘What does the data say? What about this data: suggests that this data may or may not apply?

Which raises a different question... What is poverty?  I was watching a show about Dracula the other day (Yes it was a guilty habit) and the show brought him from the Victorian Age into our time.  One of his first scenes in our day is at a home that is clearly poor (by our standards) But Dracula mistook her for being wealthy, because in our day the poor have things (like TVs) that would have been the wonder and treasure of a King.

The simple fact is that the Poor in a First World Country are very well off when you compare them to any other time in history and even when compared to our day against the 3rd world.

Thus the idea that the first world has not done enough to help the poor seems increasingly misleading from a objective historical view point