Enrichment Ideas

MorningStar

In our ward, the young women will usually provide the nursery/child care... Our enrichment has changed from monthly to special activities quarterly or as wanted (like we did a service project of putting together school supplies for grammar/middle schools, plus food for the city Food Pantry. Lots of need it seems...

Garden Girl

OK, this was an idea I had about a bazillion years ago when I was the Homemaking Counselor in a tiny branch. We were so tiny that we considered Homemaking a success if someone besides the RS Presidency showed up.

Anyway, I was not in the mood for crafty stuff as I had recently graduated from BYU and that's ALL we ever did there. So Itook a survey, and one of the interests was music. Since it was a late January, I asked the RS President's husband to teach us about sensuous music (not erotic) - a whole evening of what would be considered romantic music. He introduced us to all different kinds of music - and we discussed how music feeds the senses (that's what 'sensuous' is all about). We had so much fun. We ate cookies and listened to music.

Here in NJ, I've not gone often, but the more successful ones have been the ones where we do service - tie quilts for hospitals or shelters, put together hygiene kits or knit/crochet leper bandages. Stuff like that.

Just a few thoughts.

Jane,

who now has to go put on some music! la la la!

OK, this was an idea I had about a bazillion years ago when I was the Homemaking Counselor in a tiny branch. We were so tiny that we considered Homemaking a success if someone besides the RS Presidency showed up.

Anyway, I was not in the mood for crafty stuff as I had recently graduated from BYU and that's ALL we ever did there. So Itook a survey, and one of the interests was music. Since it was a late January, I asked the RS President's husband to teach us about sensuous music (not erotic) - a whole evening of what would be considered romantic music. He introduced us to all different kinds of music - and we discussed how music feeds the senses (that's what 'sensuous' is all about). We had so much fun. We ate cookies and listened to music.

Here in NJ, I've not gone often, but the more successful ones have been the ones where we do service - tie quilts for hospitals or shelters, put together hygiene kits or knit/crochet leper bandages. Stuff like that.

Just a few thoughts.

Jane,

who now has to go put on some music! la la la!

Interesting! For some reason that made me think of the Enrichment we had about love. One sister gave us a lesson about different kinds of love, showing love, etc. At one point she pulled out her grandpa's handcuffs that were an heirloom and of sentimental value to her and there were a bunch of women trying really hard not to laugh because they associate handcuffs with bondage. A couple women had tears streaming down their faces they were fighting it so hard. :lol:

Interesting! For some reason that made me think of the Enrichment we had about love. One sister gave us a lesson about different kinds of love, showing love, etc. At one point she pulled out her grandpa's handcuffs that were an heirloom and of sentimental value to her and there were a bunch of women trying really hard not to laugh because they associate handcuffs with bondage. A couple women had tears streaming down their faces they were fighting it so hard. :lol:

I did an enrichment night on how to braid hair!! I can braid anything from two to 120 strands!! I did braiding demonstrations at the State fair, and worked at the renaissance festival doing exotic braids...I also showed the ladies how to do weaves and hair extensions....

I did an enrichment night on how to braid hair!! I can braid anything from two to 120 strands!! I did braiding demonstrations at the State fair, and worked at the renaissance festival doing exotic braids...I also showed the ladies how to do weaves and hair extensions....

That is so cool! I love learning about people's different talents in the church. I can hardly do a regular braid. Maybe that's why I have all boys? :P My friends used to french braid my hair and it was hard for them because my hair is really thick.

That is so cool! I love learning about people's different talents in the church. I can hardly do a regular braid. Maybe that's why I have all boys? :P My friends used to french braid my hair and it was hard for them because my hair is really thick.

I am also a licenced cosmetologist... I taught myself most of my braids by riding my horse bareback, backwards and flipping his tail up and playing with it as a child. I did a lot with his mane, too. I ended up teaching my braides to the owner of the cosmetology school that I went to and he gave me a break on my tuition if I would teach a class on braiding and the braiding demonstrations at the State Fair was for his school...he gave me credit hours and a financial break for doing that, too!!!

I am also a licenced cosmetologist... I taught myself most of my braids by riding my horse bareback, backwards and flipping his tail up and playing with it as a child. I did a lot with his mane, too. I ended up teaching my braides to the owner of the cosmetology school that I went to and he gave me a break on my tuition if I would teach a class on braiding and the braiding demonstrations at the State Fair was for his school...he gave me credit hours and a financial break for doing that, too!!!

That is fascinating how you learned to do that! I learned to read by following hymns at church. I loved music so much, I really wanted to know the words and I started to read them by recognition. :)

That is fascinating how you learned to do that! I learned to read by following hymns at church. I loved music so much, I really wanted to know the words and I started to read them by recognition. :)

Yeah, my hores's name was Rebel, but he was no rebel!! I used to ride him backwards all the time and fall asleep on his rump!! He would just ignore me and continue to graze!! I would get the occasional swat in the face with his tail...but we had an understanding...him and I...

We recently had a Service Auction. We had about 90 sisters show up and we all had a lot of fun. Everyone was told ahead of time to bring something homemade or a coupon for something they would do as a service for another sister. Then we served them dinner and had them fill out a questionaire. There were 50 questions like How many times have you said "I love you" today? Or How many children do you have? Or how many verses of scripture have you read in the last 24 hours?

Each of the numbers in their answers was multiplied by 10 and those points were what they used to bid with. It got noisy and fun and we can hardly wait to do it again.

We recently had a Service Auction. We had about 90 sisters show up and we all had a lot of fun. Everyone was told ahead of time to bring something homemade or a coupon for something they would do as a service for another sister. Then we served them dinner and had them fill out a questionaire. There were 50 questions like How many times have you said "I love you" today? Or How many children do you have? Or how many verses of scripture have you read in the last 24 hours?

Each of the numbers in their answers was multiplied by 10 and those points were what they used to bid with. It got noisy and fun and we can hardly wait to do it again.

That is such a great idea! I'd like to see the whole 50 questions, but I'll understand if you don't want to type them all in. :lol:

This is good. I'll mention it the next time someone asks me for Enrichment ideas.

Jane

A friend of mine was just asking me about Enrichment ideas. What are the best Enrichment activities you've ever had or what do you think would be really great? My favorite was when we did a recipe exchange, brought samples, and had all our recipes compiled into a book.

:)

My favorite was a smoothie social where we were given recipes for all the smoothies that everyone brought and tasted. It was good because there was such a great variety! some were high protein (peanut butter). We had one made with soy milk and berries for the vegans in our ward. There were a few others, but those were the two stand outs for me! And obviously it was great fun to sit around and chit chat for an hour and a half! :)

My favorite was a smoothie social where we were given recipes for all the smoothies that everyone brought and tasted. It was good because there was such a great variety! some were high protein (peanut butter). We had one made with soy milk and berries for the vegans in our ward. There were a few others, but those were the two stand outs for me! And obviously it was great fun to sit around and chit chat for an hour and a half! :)

Ooh! Smoothies! That's another thing I like making! :D That would've been a great one for summer.

That is such a great idea! I'd like to see the whole 50 questions, but I'll understand if you don't want to type them all in. :lol:

This is good. I'll mention it the next time someone asks me for Enrichment ideas.

Jane

I don't have the list of questions anymore but they were all related to Church and Family. They wouldn't really have to be about church and family though. You could ask anything. A lot of people donated more than one service so there was plenty to go around.

I don't have the list of questions anymore but they were all related to Church and Family. They wouldn't really have to be about church and family though. You could ask anything. A lot of people donated more than one service so there was plenty to go around.

Our ward has done this too. We actually got the idea from another ward in our stake. Some questions are on the order of, "In the past week have you opened the door for someone/returned a shopping cart to the cart corral/let someone go in front of you in line?"

We just had a 'back to basics' night about practical ways to use your food storage. We learnt how to make yogurt from a starter, milk powder and water. We learn how to use wheat in pancakes, bread, rolls and pizza dough. We also made wheat packs (you know, the things you warm up and take to bed with you and put on your achy tummy when you have your period) It was pretty good. I found out heaps of stuff that i had tried, but hadnt worked out, and now i know why!

and our ward also have a book club that meets once a month. I love reading and really enjoyed that. The book club is breaking up now, sadly because of stake and ward boundary changes in my area. I might start up another one when i get back from the states in November

I would like the Peanutbutter Smoothie Recipe.

We just had a 'back to basics' night about practical ways to use your food storage. We learnt how to make yogurt from a starter, milk powder and water. We learn how to use wheat in pancakes, bread, rolls and pizza dough. We also made wheat packs (you know, the things you warm up and take to bed with you and put on your achy tummy when you have your period) It was pretty good. I found out heaps of stuff that i had tried, but hadnt worked out, and now i know why!

and our ward also have a book club that meets once a month. I love reading and really enjoyed that. The book club is breaking up now, sadly because of stake and ward boundary changes in my area. I might start up another one when i get back from the states in November

I love those wheat packs! We made some one year and put some lavendar in them. They smell so good.

WE have quarterly enrichment activities, but we have many, many enrichment groups going on that meet every month, and some even oftener. We have group that goes hiking, one that does freezer meals, one that does a greeting card swap, we have quilting (that's my group), scrapbooking, weight loss, computer skills, a writer's group (my other group), a toddler's play group, clutter busters, a gardening group, ladies at lunch group, dinner and a movie group, and probalby some I don't know about. If two sisters have a common interest, they can make a group.

We are going to have a Girls Night Out. At the stake center, in the gym, 6-midnight. We are going to do speed visiting, plus a bunch of personal care things, making sachets, manicures, facials, color analysis, chair massage, and just plain old hanging out.

WE have quarterly enrichment activities, but we have many, many enrichment groups going on that meet every month, and some even oftener. We have group that goes hiking, one that does freezer meals, one that does a greeting card swap, we have quilting (that's my group), scrapbooking, weight loss, computer skills, a writer's group (my other group), a toddler's play group, clutter busters, a gardening group, ladies at lunch group, dinner and a movie group, and probalby some I don't know about. If two sisters have a common interest, they can make a group.

We are going to have a Girls Night Out. At the stake center, in the gym, 6-midnight. We are going to do speed visiting, plus a bunch of personal care things, making sachets, manicures, facials, color analysis, chair massage, and just plain old hanging out.

Wow! Your RS sounds like so much fun! We're lucky to have one activity a month. A few small groups have formed at various times, but soon dwindle to nothing.

How does yours do it? If someone wants a new group, do they run it through the RS pres. first? Do they announce the new groups in RS (and Primary-Important! :D )? Do you have a list anywhere of the various groups and contact info for new people?

Oooo... yes, this was fun.... I was there too!! I remember one of the questions was: Are you wearing a dress? There were only a couple of ladies. And they got a bunch of points for that one.

• 3 months later...

I was just called to the Enrichment Committee, so I thought I would revive this thread! :) We are planning the Relief Society Birthday Party for next month and I'm trying to think of what things we could do. I would like to gather a photo of each sister (if possible), put them all on a wall, and have a few obscure facts about them written on the back. Then we could flip them over to see who it was. Or we could have baby photos and have the facts under the pictures. Or I was considering doing a slideshow of the sisters. I don't really have any experience in making slideshows, but it would be fun.

I thought we could provide dinner and then have a dessert potluck. One lady on the committee was saying we should make different things for the people who are trying to lose weight, are on gluten free diets, etc. I suggested we have people bring a dessert that they will eat or they can have fruit. I used to be lactose intolerant and I could never expect anyone to center the menu around my particular needs.