I despise the loathsome Salt Lake Tribune

Vort

20 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

headline-guns-in-gunshop.jpg

While it certainly makes for a poor choice (or genius choice) of headline, there is actually a story behind this -- in case anyone cares at this point.

Federal agents on Monday searched a south Tulsa gun shop owned by the man who officials allege had kept in his house one of the largest stockpiles of explosives ever confiscated by the Tulsa Police Bomb Squad.

Thao Dinh Le was arrested July 2 on numerous federal and state charges after the explosives were found. He has remained in jail since then.  

Agents with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms began searching Thao's shop, Wholesale Guns & Ammo, 8335 A E. 51st St., with a federal warrant about 1 p.m., according to reports.

The agents carried out about a dozen cardboard boxes, which appeared to contain weapons, and loaded them into a vehicle. ATF officials Monday would not say what they were looking for or what they had found.  Bomb squad officials also were at the scene but did not appear to handle any explosives.

On July 2, undercover narcotics agents served a warrant at Thao's home, 12121 E. 29th Court, to search for drugs. They found a stockpile of land mines, hand grenades, dynamite and other explosives, police said.  ATF agents are investigating the possible connection between what was found in Thao's residence and a cache of explosives discovered last week in the A.B. Jewell Water Reservoir at 21st Street and 193rd East Avenue.

Police divers fished about 200 military explosives from the reservoir June 28, after a fisherman pulled a string of grenades from the water. Officials said it appeared that someone had thrown the explosives into the reservoir to get rid of them. ATF spokesman Dave Roberts has said some of the serial numbers on the weapons from both finds are "similar" and may have been stolen from the same military source. Thao has not been charged in connection with the explosives found in the reservoir.

I reposted the text here because the original source (linked above) is a fleeting source (as is common on the internet).

18 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Arrested for prepping for Independence Day?!!

Hah!  I didn't notice that.  But for the record, uh, no. 

... land mines, hand grenades, dynamite and other explosives...

are not typical Independence Day fireworks.   Well... maybe in YOUR family they are.

8 hours ago, MormonGator said:

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/08/09/us/prison-population-growing-although-crime-rate-drops.html

This one is my personal favorite. Come on guys. Think hard. Think real hard. 

The states with the lowest rates were North Dakota, 112 prisoners per 100,000; Minnesota, 113 per 100,000; Maine, 124 per 100,000, and Vermont, 140,000 per 100,000.

I'd be very interested in knowing how Vermont had more people in prison than lived in the state and still managed to have one of the lowest incarceration rates.