The Ensign and the Watchtower

Emmanuel Goldstein

Is it just me or are the church magazine art pieces beginning to look like the style used by the Jehovah Witnesses in the Watchtower?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/come-follow-me-for-individuals-and-families-new-testament-2019/47?lang=eng

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/watchtower-study-january-2020/ 

I would say, probably neither. If two different churches were putting out magazines (following new trends) their magazines are probably going to be similar. I remember viewing our Engsigns and Watchtower magazines and thinking they are similar. I wouldn't say one is like the other. The Church right now on their website appears to be trying to make the website like a live "app" for mobile devices.

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

People always get us confused. I'm asked all the time if I belong to the church that "doesn't celebrate birthdays or Christmas." 

So funny...because you are further apart from them than from traditional Christianity. Let's take a look:

Trinity? JW would say it's too polytheistic. LDS would say it's too rigid in its understanding of God being one.

Christmas? JW would say it's origins are in Paganism. LDS would hand me a Christmas choir CD.

American Constitution? JW would say it, like all earthly governments, comes from the Devil. LDS would say it's inspired.

Alcohol? JW would endorse it in moderation. LDS would invoke modern prophecy to oppose it.

Pop singers. Donny and Marie vs. Prince ... it's probably time to stop, now. :clown:

2 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

So funny...because you are further apart from them than from traditional Christianity.

Agreed!  Once in college I was asked to complete a survey about sexuality (go figure 🙄).  The survey was anonymous, but at the end of the survey we were asked to specify our religious affiliation, if any.  Among the options were Christian, Muslim, Jew, Atheist, Hindu, etc, etc.  What I found most infuriating was that one of the options was "Mormon / Jehovah's Witness".  I chose to check the box labeled "Other" and wrote "MORMON, WHICH IS NOT THE SAME AS JEHOVAH'S WITNESS!"  I assume the survey preparers were probably thinking along the lines of mainstream Christianity vs non.

There was a large population of proselyting Jehovah's Witnesses in Florida during the time I served my mission.  I became too familiar with their beliefs to accept the idea of anyone grouping us as though we were the same or similar denomination.

A partially related anecdote: While teaching at a Jehovah's Witness' home I was once asked the name of God.  When I said, "Elohim", they were shocked and seemingly had no idea how to respond because that's not the answer they were accustomed to.

You wanna confuse the crap out of someone so much that it is absolutely hilarious:  try explaining the Latter-Day Saint understanding of the Godhead to a Jehovah's Witness and watch as they fumble to comprehend how we believe that Jehovah is the same person as Jesus Christ, but that God the Father and Jesus Christ are separate beings.  I always thoroughly enjoyed that one as a missionary, especially because they try to show you passages to teach that Christ and the Father are separate beings and you tell them, "Yes, I agree completely," and they don't know where to go from there because they don't understand how you can reject the Trinity, agree that the Father and Son are separate, and still believe that Jehovah and Christ are the same!  😁  Ahh, the good ole days!

Edited by person0

13 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Pop singers. Donny and Marie vs. Prince ... it's probably time to stop, now. :clown:

I would think Alice Cooper* would be a better comparison.

:) 

*Disclaimer.  He was actually a Bickertonite as a child, but never really got into it at all.  AT ALL...

Edited by Mores