FamilySearch to start recognizing same-sex marriage

Fether

57 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

You don’t have decades left bro. 

I remember the comment of a good friend dying of cancer and leaving behind a grieving husband and three children between the ages of seven and eleven, saying to my wife and me, "I'm just glad I have some time left. It's not just weeks." Except it was. She was dead within about two weeks.

The stark truth is that none of us has very much time left. Even if we have decades, guess what? Decades pass.

Not to overly dramatize a blithe, light-hearted comment. It just made me think a little.

Yesterday, my wife and I went to the reception of a friend of one of our sons. We took with us a young man about our son's (and the groom's) age, who had been part of their seminary class. He's a nice young man, friendly and not unintelligent, but he's autistic and demostrates many of the social limitations of that condition. His conversation with the bride and groom included comments and questions that would generally be considered inappropriate, though he meant them as a sincere desire to connect. It occurred to me that when his mortal probation is finished and he looks back on that incident and others like it, he will not feel shame, because he was being sincere.

I think that we all will be in a similar position. We will not feel the slightest shame or embarrassment because we accidentally misspoke or farted in a group of people or innocently asked an inappropriate question. We will feel shame because of our dishonest actions, because of our unkindness, because of our impatience, because of our actions that are less than we know we should do. Lettuce in our teeth will probably give us nothing more than a spiritual chuckle.

But I believe we will also feel ashamed when we refused to stand for the truth, when we allowed false or vicious or unkind comments to go unchallenged, when we hear distortions of truth (including of the gospel) offered without correction. Silence is sometimes the best response to such lies, but too often the motivation is not Christ-like refusal to engage, but mere cowardice. Our refusal to find some way to tell our "friends" that they're wrong about things they say is often simply being ashamed of Christ.

@Just_A_Guy is not ashamed of Christ or of his restored gospel. I read his comments in that light. If JAG does not always find the optimal way to convey that information, I don't care. I admire him for his willingness to stand up and be counted, to engage with deceivers.

Edited by Vort

Guest LiterateParakeet

I think what Iggy was trying to say is that people can land here from a google search and not know the history of Gale and mistakenly think JAG was serious.  

On 12/27/2019 at 8:09 AM, mordorbund said:

There's still plenty of room if anyone else wants to set up under all this shade.

91755i_ts.jpg

There's something wrong with this picture. I can't put my finger on it. Is it photoshopped?

50 minutes ago, Vort said:

No shade. (Which I believe was mord's humorous point.)

I really couldn't tell.  That was part of the problem.  My comment was isolated to the photo alone rather than in the context of the thread.  It doesn't look like a normal photo.  It's like the depth of field was narrowed or something.  The lighting is off as if it were photoshopped or green screened. Color saturation varies from the hammock to the background.  It just looks wrong.

Well, nevermind.  Just an I wonder.

Edited by Mores

28 minutes ago, Mores said:

I really couldn't tell.  That was part of the problem.  My comment was isolated to the photo alone rather than in the context of the thread.  It doesn't look like a normal photo.  It's like the depth of field was narrowed or something.  The lighting is off as if it were photoshopped or green screened. Color saturation varies from the hammock to the background.  It just looks wrong.

Well, nevermind.  Just an I wonder.

Your eyes do not deceive you.
It is a really bad photoshop job. Easy to trace the clone stamping, blurring and lighting marks all over it.
The below photo is almost on par. Indoor studio setting photo of a swing then imposed on outdoor fake composition backdrop, two incredibly distinct lightning scenarios.

outdoor-swing-with-canopy-in-green---white-colour-by-royal-oak-outdoor-swing-with-canopy-in-green----krtmpl.jpg

Edited by NeedleinA

2 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Your eyes do not deceive you.
It is a really bad photoshop job. Easy to trace the clone stamping, blurring and lighting marks all over it.
The below photo is almost on par. Indoor studio setting photo of a swing then imposed on outdoor fake composition backdrop, two incredibly distinct lightning scenarios.

outdoor-swing-with-canopy-in-green---white-colour-by-royal-oak-outdoor-swing-with-canopy-in-green----krtmpl.jpg

Are you a photographer?

34 minutes ago, Mores said:

Are you a photographer?

Nope, but in my past life I was a graphic designer for several years. Despite my new life, I still use Photoshop fairly frequently.
Okay, only continue if you want some photo dork time...

Dork time: Part of what is triggering your eye to realize something is not right in this photo is the 'black'. Your screen uses RGB (Red Green Blue) scale to display colors. The closer you are to having values of '0', the blacker your black is. You can see the 'black' on the hammock pole, it rated at 1,0,0. The blackest black is 0,0,0. So basically the pole is pure black. In order to achieve pure black in a real photo, not photoshopped, other blacks in the photo will also/should be able to 'achieve' pure black status as well. I put "?" where other pure black should also be, BUT it is not. Your eye is seeing this difference and it doesn't 'feel' right to you. The saturation is all messed up between the indoor hammock photo imposed on the outdoor background photo.

Dork, out.

1432065454_Untitled-2copy.jpg.dd6ec2f80b3e9112400d167b9dee46b9.jpg