Fether

FamilySearch to start recognizing same-sex marriage

Recommended Posts

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/familysearch-document-same-sex-family-relationships

 

 

FamilySearch is one of the world's largest collections of genealogical data, drawn from civil, ecclesiastical and other sources to be assessed for their genealogical value by each researcher.

FamilySearch Family Tree now provides the ability for users to document same-sex family relationships. Consistent with the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, only marriages between people of the opposite sex may be solemnized or sealed in the temple.

Edited by Fether

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a new news article, but I'm not exactly sure this is new news.  I've been hearing similar things for a few years now.

It makes sense.  We believe there are better ways to run life than having a divorce or children born out of wedlock, but part of doing genealogy is recording an occasional divorce date or birth to an unmarried partner.

One good way find the skeletons and dirt on our ancestors, is to do their genealogy.  Just enhancing the capabilities.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

One good way find the skeletons and dirt on our ancestors, is to do their genealogy.

Nostalgia is so weird. We like to think of the "good old days" and reminisce about how wonderful and innocent that time was, but in reality our ancestors were flawed people, like you and I. They had just as many problems and weaknesses as we do. 
 

Edited by MormonGator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

One good way find the skeletons and dirt on our ancestors, is to do their genealogy.  Just enhancing the capabilities.

So I’ve been told but I have been doing genealogy for a long time and the worst thing I have found was an ancestor hunting monkeys for sport. 😛 I want to find some real juicy dirt... but nothing yet 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, GaleG said:

Will the church use these records of same-sex families and same-sex adoptions in future
proxy baptisms?

Thank you,

Gale

- Any proxy work should be done by a family member, especially a close family member if the person is recently deceased (as in any born within that last century).

- All persons 8 years and older are of course be eligible for baptism. 

- It's not possible the Lord to enter into a relationship that intrinsically goes against His ways.  Therefore, same-sex relationships cannot enter into a covenant with the Lord.  His way is male and female.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 2:10 PM, GaleG said:

Will the church use these records of same-sex families and same-sex adoptions in future
proxy baptisms?

Thank you,

Gale

6 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Yes, but only if they were Holocaust victims.

@Just_A_Guy Why in the world would you answer with this?? The only people who are allowed to do proxy work for Holocaust Victims are their direct line descendants who are blood kin and they have to prove it!! Not just click in a box in front of Yes.  I would expect this glib answer from a couple of others here on the forum, but not you. Shame on you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Iggy said:

@Just_A_Guy Why in the world would you answer with this?? The only people who are allowed to do proxy work for Holocaust Victims are their direct line descendants who are blood kin and they have to prove it!! Not just click in a box in front of Yes.  I would expect this glib answer from a couple of others here on the forum, but not you. Shame on you!

Are you familiar with the commenting history of GaleG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Iggy said:

@Just_A_Guy Why in the world would you answer with this?? The only people who are allowed to do proxy work for Holocaust Victims are their direct line descendants who are blood kin and they have to prove it!! Not just click in a box in front of Yes.  I would expect this glib answer from a couple of others here on the forum, but not you. Shame on you!

I am ashamed.

(But not wrong.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Iggy said:

I would expect this glib answer from a couple of others here on the forum, but not you.

Since you would not expect this from @Just_A_Guy, why then do you suppose he actually made his post?
What type of person & what type of question was he responding to?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mordorbund said:

 

There's still plenty of room if anyone else wants to set up under all this shade.

91755i_ts.jpg

There's actually very little shade in this picture - almost all of what I see here is in marvellous light. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MormonGator
On 12/25/2019 at 5:06 PM, Iggy said:

Shame on you!

@Just_A_Guy is actually a great guy. I'm sure he didn't mean anything insulting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MormonGator said:

@Just_A_Guy is actually a great guy. I'm sure he didn't mean anything insulting. 

Do you all realize that your comments here on this forum are open to the public. Google same sex + LDS + "forums" and you responses and topics with those words in them from this forum pop up. When you are "Just Joking", "LOL", or being sarcastic, that does NOT show up.

All of you when you are answering about Church Doctrine and Church Policy be correct in those answers and post links to www.churchofjesuschrist.org to back up your answers.

As for that holocaust comment, THAT was so out of line. I am helping a member in her attempt to get the proxy work done for her great grandparents and the aunts & uncles who were slaughtered by the Nazi's. Her Grandmother made it out alive. Man sakes alive, the letters she has to write, documents that have to be witnessed as they are copied and then sent to SLC.

THAT glib comment regarding LDS Church Policy is just one of the many reasons I really don't like this forum, very few of you back up your LDS church answers with links to prove them. That and the mass immaturity of the members as is evident in the "Sarcastic", "Just Joking" ,"🤣 " placed after your sentences.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 2:10 PM, GaleG said:

Will the church use these records of same-sex families and same-sex adoptions in future
proxy baptisms?

Thank you,

Gale

@GaleG go here:  https://www.familysearch.org/blog/en/familysearch-updates/

and read, read, and read.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:40 AM, Fether said:

Consistent with the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, only marriages between people of the opposite sex may be solemnized or sealed in the temple.

Also did you not pay attention to the above quote?

If you have further questions regarding proxy work in the Temple, set up an appointment with your Temple President and ask him. Not an endowed member? The Temple President will set up an appointment at his Ward Meetinghouse, or yours.

Have questions regarding Temple & Family History work, then find our who your Stake and Ward T&FH Consultants are and set up appointments to talk with them.

Ah, a word of advice - keep your sarcastic attitude at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MormonGator
8 hours ago, Iggy said:

That and the mass immaturity of the members as is evident in the "Sarcastic", "Just Joking" ,

Lighten up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Iggy said:

THAT glib comment regarding LDS Church Policy is just one of the many reasons I really don't like this forum, very few of you back up your LDS church answers with links to prove them. 

It's easier to complain about others when, for less effort, you could just provide the link yourself.   Common aspect of humanity, one to which I often fall prey.  

Good reminder that we can all be the change we seek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MormonGator
51 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

 Common aspect of humanity, one to which I often fall prey.  

We all do. It's more fun to wag our finger in someones face and nag them. It makes us feel better about ourselves too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Iggy said:

Do you all realize that your comments here on this forum are open to the public. Google same sex + LDS + "forums" and you responses and topics with those words in them from this forum pop up. When you are "Just Joking", "LOL", or being sarcastic, that does NOT show up.

All of you when you are answering about Church Doctrine and Church Policy be correct in those answers and post links to www.churchofjesuschrist.org to back up your answers.

As for that holocaust comment, THAT was so out of line. I am helping a member in her attempt to get the proxy work done for her great grandparents and the aunts & uncles who were slaughtered by the Nazi's. Her Grandmother made it out alive. Man sakes alive, the letters she has to write, documents that have to be witnessed as they are copied and then sent to SLC.

THAT glib comment regarding LDS Church Policy is just one of the many reasons I really don't like this forum, very few of you back up your LDS church answers with links to prove them. That and the mass immaturity of the members as is evident in the "Sarcastic", "Just Joking" ,"🤣 " placed after your sentences.

 

Iggy, I understand and appreciate your concerns. 

That said, I’m frankly not in a mood to mollycoddle trolls who ask gotcha-type questions in bad faith and then refuse to engage with any sincere answers offered (as @GaleG has been doing consistently for months now), or to completely forfeit the use of irony in dealing with trollish behavior just because a Google bot may relay my comment, devoid of context, on a search result displayed to someone who can’t be bothered to actually click through to this site for the full discussion (let alone actually visit an official LDS site, as opposed to an explicitly unofficial site such as this).

One reason I, and some others, no longer take the time to compose what you would consider to be ideal, informative, duly-sourced answers to GaleG’s questions is that we have actually done so in the past, and (s)he has repeatedly failed to engage with them or posed follow-up questions indicating (s)he didn’t bother to read what had already been written in the thread.  

Am I being my best self?  Admittedly not.  I’ll work on it.  But I also expect people like Gale to work on being their best selves by being sincere in their questions and thoughtful in their responses to the answers given; and I also expect genuinely curious investigators of the LDS faith to work on being their best selves by not limiting their research to the few-dozen words that show up on a Google search result page; by developing a basic understanding of the difference between “official” and “unofficial” sources; and a gaining passing familiarity with the sorts of dynamics that sometimes arise in online communities.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Am I being my best self?  Admittedly not.  I’ll work on it.  

You don’t have decades left bro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now