Anyone know this movie?

Jamie123

I'm still astonished Anatess was able to identify "The Changes" based upon my rambling description earlier this year...

...but I wonder if anyone can identify this movie (which sticks in my memory but I can't remember the name of). Here goes...

It's a western. A sheriff and his posse have successfully captured a gang of bandits who robbed a store in his town. One of the robbers is a boy, far younger than any of the others, and the sheriff's wife feels sorry for him. She pleads with her husband to let him go, which reluctantly he does, telling him to "keep out of trouble". The boy whoops with joy and runs away. He takes none of the sheriff's advice though, and is soon a hired gun for another gang. The sheriff's wife sees him during a robbery and runs out to try to reason with him. She is quickly grabbed by the other bandits and taken away as a hostage. The sheriff sets off in pursuit, but soon finds his wife's lifeless body hanging from a tree. At this point he ceases to be a lawman, and just wants revenge. He follows the robbers' trail and finds two of them sitting by a campfire. He approaches with his gun pointed, demanding to know where the others are. One of them gets bolshy with, him saying "you can't just shoot us, its against the law", whereupon the sheriff shoots him dead. The other (realizing that the sheriff is no longer playing by the rules) pleads that he had nothing to do with the murder, but the sheriff shoots him anyway, saying that he did nothing to prevent it either.

I've no memory of what happened next... I've a feeling I had to stop watching it for some reason so I never knew how it ended. Anyone remember it?

Edited by Jamie123