Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

anatess2

Not sure if this is spoilers or not but I will give my opinion on the film.

It was decent, but it was a remake of Return of the Jedi, which was a remake of Episode IV, which was also remade in Episode I.   But it was a decent remake in that they tied some visuals and completion of the circle from episode IV.  

I thought the final space battle was weak, and they could have done more there.  I think they just ran out of ideas or time but there were some threads that were left unwoven.

I missed the visuals of the other films, meaning the wipes were in a few spots but were not in the style of the original films, which is, IMHO, critical to a canon Star Wars film.

21 hours ago, Vort said:

Wait. Wasn't Yoda 1000 years old when he died? Like 950 in the first movie? So what's up with the lack of technological development? In 1000 years of a super-high-tech industrial society, the best they can do as far as technological development goes is...build a deathstar and some gigantic heavy cruisers?

So 1000 years ago, our ancestors had a cavalry that could fight on mounts, had longbowmen, and shield-bearing ground troops. Today, 1000 years later, we have...what? Larger cavalries? Bows that shoot maybe twice as far?

Is this a joke? Or do the writers that Disney hired simply have no basic grasp on things like engineering evolution? Or am I missing the whole point of what's going on? I admit that I have not seen the latest Star Wars movie, and I further admit that there's a good chance I never will.

This is not Yoda. But a baby of the same species.

Just saw it. Absolutely incredible. I felt it answered many of the complaints of the saga as well as made room for answers to complaints of the prequels. Also, being a fan of the many star wars video games and it being all but confirmed that KOTOR is part of the Disney canon, it was cool to see some call backs to many of the mechanics Jedi had in the games, but never on camera. It was also relieving for them to take a far more religious dive in this one, similar to what we see in the video games and tv series.

Also, it was cool to hear the voices of characters from outside the movies in that ending scene before Rey defeated Palpatine. Pretty sure I heard two people from the Star Wars clone wars and rebels tv series

8/10. Would have been 10/10, but it just moved way to quickly in the first half.

Edited by Fether

General consensus seems to be that given how disastrous its Chinese opening weekend was (a mere $8.6 million, putting it 4th in the country and about $4 million lower than what it got in Australia), the odds of the film even breaking even on its production budget are slim, let alone its marketing budget. 

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Kathleen Kennedy has pretty well killed the franchise. 

Guest MormonGator
On 12/24/2019 at 1:21 AM, Ironhold said:

General consensus seems to be that given how disastrous its Chinese opening weekend was (a mere $8.6 million, putting it 4th in the country and about $4 million lower than what it got in Australia), the odds of the film even breaking even on its production budget are slim, let alone its marketing budget. 

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Kathleen Kennedy has pretty well killed the franchise. 

I think it's because many Star Wars fans feel like we've seen it all before. 

Guest MormonGator
18 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

It's a repeating formula.  The Simpsons is on season 31 because of it's formula.  As long as SW makes enough $$ to justify it, we'll get a next trilogy, and another after that. 

And I will have to watch it just in case they decide to let us know what Luke's other arm looks like.

And people have been calling for an end of The Simpsons since season 20. Nothing lasts forever in the media, and even the Simpsons will get the plug pulled eventually. 

I think Star Wars fatigue is already settling in. 

16 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I think Star Wars fatigue is already settling in. 

I think what has fatigued is sky walker, storm/clone troopers, and the Wild West like like setting of episodes 4-9 (personal opinion).

Supposedly the next saga is scheduled to start 2022 and to take place in the Old Republic. And Darth Revan has been made canon so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it be a rendition of “Knights if the Old Republic”, a very different setting from the current saga

Edited by Fether

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, Fether said:

I think what has fatigued is sky walker, storm/clone troopers, and the Wild West like like setting of episodes 4-9 (personal opinion).

Supposedly the next saga is scheduled to start 2022 and to take place in the Old Republic. And Darth Stevan has been made cannon so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it be a rendition of “Knights if the Old Republic”, a very different setting from the current saga

That was one of the greatest video games of all time, so I'd be interested in seeing that. @Midwest LDS and I just talked about that video game before the holidays! 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

That was one of the greatest video games of all time, so I'd be interested in seeing that. @Midwest LDS and I just talked about that video game before the holidays! 

Me too. No skywalkers, no storm troopers,  a lot more spiritual take on the force through sith artifacts and temples, an expanded take on the force that we saw in Rise of Skywalker, and an all out war between the sith and Jedi. I hope they take that path 

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Fether said:

Me too. No skywalkers, no storm troopers,  a lot more spiritual take on the force through sith artifacts and temples, an expanded take on the force that we saw in Rise of Skywalker, and an all out war between the sith and Jedi. I hope they take that path 

Also, some of the best NPCs in history. Mission, Bastilla, Jolee, HK-47....

30 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

That would be a nice change. I'd love to see the Old Republic in it's prime, large forces of Jedi and Sith battling for dominance, and an excellent redemption arc story. 

Edited by Midwest LDS

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

That would be a nice change. I'd love to see the Old Republic in it's prime, large forces of Jedi and Sith battling for dominance, and an excellent redemption arc story. 

Right! We've seen it die in the prequels, dead in the original series, and not-reborn-but-still-dying in the new ones.       

21 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Right! We've seen it die in the prequels, dead in the original series, and not-reborn-but-still-dying in the new ones.       

This will once again reveal my taste in movies, but one reason why I actually enjoy the prequels is because it doesn’t take place in a space Wild West. It was a large scale war between two galactic super powers. I want to see that again! I want more explosions!! (Side note: I thought the planet destruction scene is ROS was muy bien, my favorite visual effect in all of Starwars).

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Fether said:

This will once again reveal my taste in movies, but one reason why I actually enjoy the prequels is because it doesn’t take place in a space Wild West. It was a large scale war between two galactic super powers. I want to see that again! I want more explosions!! (Side note: I thought the planet destruction scene is ROS was muy bien, my favorite visual effect in all of Starwars).

The prequels are a little over bashed. I'm not saying they are great movies (they aren't. Jar Jar Binks, "sand", plot holes...) but they have some great moments. You touched on them perfectly my friend. 

I also like Palpatines role in the prequels, but my favorite part was when Anakin slaughtered the tusken raiders.  He showed his uncontrollable rage and anger in that scene along with his total lack of regret for killing them. I actually thought that was a great scene. There are other good parts too. 

49 minutes ago, Fether said:

I haven't seen the movie, and there's a good chance I won't. But I assume the planet destruction scene you mention is on the order of the one in the first Star Wars movie. I thought/think two things about Tarkin's destruction of Alderran.

1. The destruction of Alderran was like the destruction of Earth, a truly obscene idea. I have always hated Earth-gets-destroyed SF scenarios. It is the dream of the destruction of the very cradle of life. I know it's make-believe, but it's make-believe about an unutterable horror. I see zero entertainment value in it. Truth be told, negative value. Knowing that a movie contains such a scene greatly disincentivizes me from seeing it.

2. A planet is not a Hollywood car filled with dynamite. To blow the earth (or a similar-sized planet) apart like in the first Star Wars movie would require the energy on the order of nine days worth of the sun's output, all at once. I'm totally down with the idea of suspending disbelief, but there has to be at least some token effort toward believability. I simply refuse to believe that the good guy can fly to his getaway merely by flapping his arms. That's a worthlessly idiotic story point, and any story that refuses to rewrite it or get rid of it altogether is not a story I care to spend any time at all reading, watching, or consuming in any other form.

tl;dr—1. The idea is worthless because it's obscene. 2. The idea is worthless because it's stupid.

still tl;dr—I disagree.

4 minutes ago, zil said:

You'll be waiting a looooong time - I don't pay any attention to threads like this - I have no idea what this thread is even about, other than assuming it's about YASWM.

Darth Somebody-or-Other is cannon. How can you resist?

21 minutes ago, Vort said:

Darth Somebody-or-Other is cannon. How can you resist?

A) I wouldn't have seen it if not for the use of @zil

B) I have no idea who "Darth Stevan" is, so how do I draw them (and make them recognizable) as a cannon without doing research on who it is (which I don't want to do)?

C) Not sure how to draw a person as a cannon (and don't really want to think too long about the possibilities).  (It appears too late to prevent too long, unfortunately.)

D) Two of my characters are having an interesting discussion in my head, and I'd prefer to continue eavesdropping on them. :D

Don't read my post if you do not want to see movie spoilers.

I saw The Rise of Skywalker movie this morning.  A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were very great movies to me.  The number nine movie was a huge disappointment in my opinion.  The special effects were great but the ending ruined the whole movie for me. 

The intense force power sucking and the omnipotent super force lightning at the Zeus scale was just stupid to me.  The more I think about the new force powers the more I hate the movie.  Then where the heck did Palpatine get the resources to produce hundreds of Star Destroyer ships each one mounted with a cannon strong enough to destroy an entire planet?

They spent over 150 million dollars making this movie.  They should have hired some Star Wars experts and writers.  At least I can still watch the original Star Wars Trilogy and just forget this movie.