anatess2

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Anddenex said:

I just watched this movie last night and I would rate it a 5/10 (if not Star Wars I would probably have rated it lower). These are the reasons for me:

1. It was very slow. An hour into it I was wondering how soon it would end. I could have fallen asleep but kept my eyes open just to say I finished it

2. Too predictable. Except for the very end with Kylo Ren

3. Appeared to try to hard to make it great, failed miserably

4. She had trouble with the toy lazer shooter to be a jedi (how many times did she get hit with her eyes open?)

5. The acting seemed really off beat

6. Bringing back a certain character was just silly to me, there is a point when something that is unbelievable really can't be made believable even by the force.

7. Specific animals on a Destroyer (almost laughed instead of yelling awesome in my mind)

8. Thought they were going to create a love triangle with a storm trooper who gets a "feeling" -- too predictable. Gag.

My response to your items:

1. Yes, I looked at my watch and sighed because there was still an hour to go.

2. Indeed, the force slip of an items was actually kind of cool. And the Solo shrug right after it happened, delightful.

3. Agreed.

4. Made me laugh like Han Solo in Episode 4.

5. The acting was stiff and lazy, they all phoned it in, except Adam, he was fantastic.

6. The whole reason they were wearing a helmet is because the actor can barely walk without a cane.

7. All the crew of the destroyer had to do was roll the ship about 60 degrees to starboard.

8. indeed. She and the other new girl were there to un-gay the two men.

One other item, a certain character was obviously feeling the force and they went no where with it. dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fether said:

Exactly. Until ROS, it was unclear whether the Sith empire was a thing or not. Now we know it is and they can build on it with the origins in KOTOR.

They will not be making a KOTOR film. They will have it during the High Republic about 500 years before these films. Also, all the dreams of a Darth Revan are just that, dreams. They will do new stuff and just steal plot lines, unofficially, from the old canon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

They will not be making a KOTOR film. They will have it during the High Republic about 500 years before these films. Also, all the dreams of a Darth Revan are just that, dreams. They will do new stuff and just steal plot lines, unofficially, from the old canon.

Disney came out with a Visual Dictionary including references to KOTOR. The Sith legions were named after ancient Sith Lords. One of Legions in ROS was called “Revan Legion”. Additionally there was found a “Jedi crusader pendant” in the film. Revan formed the Jedi Crusaders.

these too bits with the introduction to the sith empire seems to suggest that KOTOR is canon.

Where did you learn that the next saga will be during the High Republic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

They will do new stuff and just steal plot lines, unofficially, from the old canon.

And to be fair, this is exactly what Lucas did with the EU/Legends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fether said:

these too bits with the introduction to the sith empire seems to suggest that KOTOR is canon.

Where did you learn that the next saga will be during the High Republic?

first, I did not say it was not canon, they will not risk another Rise of Skywalker fiasco with the fans by screwing up a Revan film.

Here is a link to the rumors of a High Republic film: https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a30417025/next-star-wars-trilogy-after-the-rise-of-skywalker/

They might just be rumors, but we should here the truth soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Anddenex said:

I just watched this movie last night and I would rate it a 5/10 (if not Star Wars I would probably have rated it lower). These are the reasons for me:

1. It was very slow. An hour into it I was wondering how soon it would end. I could have fallen asleep but kept my eyes open just to say I finished it

2. Too predictable. Except for the very end with Kylo Ren

3. Appeared to try to hard to make it great, failed miserably

4. She had trouble with the toy lazer shooter to be a jedi (how many times did she get hit with her eyes open?)

5. The acting seemed really off beat

6. Bringing back a certain character was just silly to me, there is a point when something that is unbelievable really can't be made believable even by the force.

7. Specific animals on a Destroyer (almost laughed instead of yelling awesome in my mind)

8. Thought they were going to create a love triangle with a storm trooper who gets a "feeling" -- too predictable. Gag.

 

 

There's this super awesome comedy video about the stupidity of TROS.  Unfortunately, it has a few choice words so I can't link it here.  So I'll just try to capture what the comedy is about here.  It superimposes this conversation through closed caption into that meme of a toothless guy speaking Spanish being interviewed who can't stop laughing uncontrollably while relating a story:

Laughing Hispanic guy:  With Rey by his side, Kylo faces Palpatine, the man who has tormented him his whole life.  He tells Palpatine to pay attention.  "Your reign of terror is over", he says.  "The galaxy will be free of your evil.  It's time for the Sith to end".  Then Palplatine throws him in the pit.  Just yeets him.  He just yeets him.  Kylo hasn't won a single fight in this entire trilogy.  And now Rey is left standing there awkwardly with Palpatine.  They're just staring each other down.  And when Rey raises her lightsaber Palpatine says, "Maybe a little force lightning will do the trick".  Yes, he raises his arms like that and he shoots a bunch of force lightning at Rey and of course she reflects it right back at him and it melts his face off.   Yeeted.  And the whole time it's melting his face off.  He doesn't stop shooting the lightning out for some reason.  "Just stop shooting the lightning out!", is what everyone in the theater was thinking.  That's how the Emperor dies!  Now he's just a corpse on the ground with a melted face.  But seriously, no, now it gets real.  Rey used so much force power that it actually killed her.  Her lightsaber falls to the ground.  This might really be the end of Rey.  Of course, it's not.  Out of nowhere, and this is real, out of the pit, guess who comes flying out?  You'll never guess. <laughs> After he got yeeted.  It's...   Kylo Ren comes flying out of the pit.  And he runs over to Rey and cradles her in his arms.   And he brings her back to life somehow, kisses her, and then he just dies!  

Interviewer:  He just dies?

Hispanic guy:  He just dies.  Poor Kylo just gets sat on for three movies.  He's the saddest villain in film history.  I don't think he had a single moment of success in any of the movies. 

Interviewer:  Did anyone in the audience seem to like this scene?

Hispanic guy:  Well, the theater was pretty empty when I saw it.  I thought it would be full, but oh well.  Probably because nobody cares about any of these characters.  But everyone mostly just laughed.  Sounds like a stupid show, huh?    After all that, this is what we get.   Give Disney credit for making the most universally hated trilogy ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Fether said:

Exactly. Until ROS, it was unclear whether the Sith empire was a thing or not. Now we know it is and they can build on it with the origins in KOTOR.

Well, it was pretty clear in the EU before Disney axed it.  Tales of the Jedi is some great Dark Horse comics.  Even contained the story of Lord Mandalore and his Mandalorian warriors to go with the Fall of the Sith Empire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

There's this super awesome comedy video about the stupidity of TROS.  Unfortunately, it has a few choice words so I can't link it here.  So I'll just try to capture what the comedy is about here.  It superimposes this conversation through closed caption into that meme of a toothless guy speaking Spanish being interviewed who can't stop laughing uncontrollably while relating a story:

Laughing Hispanic guy:  With Rey by his side, Kylo faces Palpatine, the man who has tormented him his whole life.  He tells Palpatine to pay attention.  "Your reign of terror is over", he says.  "The galaxy will be free of your evil.  It's time for the Sith to end".  Then Palplatine throws him in the pit.  Just yeets him.  He just yeets him.  Kylo hasn't won a single fight in this entire trilogy.  And now Rey is left standing there awkwardly with Palpatine.  They're just staring each other down.  And when Rey raises her lightsaber Palpatine says, "Maybe a little force lightning will do the trick".  Yes, he raises his arms like that and he shoots a bunch of force lightning at Rey and of course she reflects it right back at him and it melts his face off.   Yeeted.  And the whole time it's melting his face off.  He doesn't stop shooting the lightning out for some reason.  "Just stop shooting the lightning out!", is what everyone in the theater was thinking.  That's how the Emperor dies!  Now he's just a corpse on the ground with a melted face.  But seriously, no, now it gets real.  Rey used so much force power that it actually killed her.  Her lightsaber falls to the ground.  This might really be the end of Rey.  Of course, it's not.  Out of nowhere, and this is real, out of the pit, guess who comes flying out?  You'll never guess. <laughs> After he got yeeted.  It's...   Kylo Ren comes flying out of the pit.  And he runs over to Rey and cradles her in his arms.   And he brings her back to life somehow, kisses her, and then he just dies!  

Interviewer:  He just dies?

Hispanic guy:  He just dies.  Poor Kylo just gets sat on for three movies.  He's the saddest villain in film history.  I don't think he had a single moment of success in any of the movies. 

Interviewer:  Did anyone in the audience seem to like this scene?

Hispanic guy:  Well, the theater was pretty empty when I saw it.  I thought it would be full, but oh well.  Probably because nobody cares about any of these characters.  But everyone mostly just laughed.  Sounds like a stupid show, huh?    After all that, this is what we get.   Give Disney credit for making the most universally hated trilogy ever.

That is a pretty good summery. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

first, I did not say it was not canon, they will not risk another Rise of Skywalker fiasco with the fans by screwing up a Revan film.

Here is a link to the rumors of a High Republic film: https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a30417025/next-star-wars-trilogy-after-the-rise-of-skywalker/

They might just be rumors, but we should here the truth soon.

 

15 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

That is true. They should consider an animated series of films about the legends material. An Heir to the empire series would be awesome.

It seems we are on the same page... only differing opinions. I would be happy with a completely original story and not a rehash of an already told one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

They will not be making a KOTOR film. They will have it during the High Republic about 500 years before these films. Also, all the dreams of a Darth Revan are just that, dreams. They will do new stuff and just steal plot lines, unofficially, from the old canon.

Yep.  That's what's been happening all throughout Disney.   It would have been great if they pulled Thrawn into the movies.  But, now I'm glad for it.  I'd hate for Thrawn to join the fan-fiction that is Episodes 7-9.  They can pull stuff from old cannon as much as they like... whether they can make it Star Wars is another matter.  We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Yep.  That's what's been happening all throughout Disney.   It would have been great if they pulled Thrawn into the movies.  But, now I'm glad for it.  I'd hate for Thrawn to join the fan-fiction that is Episodes 7-9.  They can pull stuff from old cannon as much as they like... whether they can make it Star Wars is another matter.  We'll see.

The film should have ended with Rey, coming back to the scene in Episode 7 where she just places the lighsaber back in the box and have her run off into the forest. The end. Yes, the rest of it after Maz's castle is a vision and she runs away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

The film should have ended with Rey, coming back to the scene in Episode 7 where she just places the lighsaber back in the box and have her run off into the forest. The end. Yes, the rest of it after Maz's castle is a vision and she runs away.

BRILLIANT!

I'm gonna add - back to the Episode 7 scene - Luke appears infront of the box, opens it, takes the lightsaber, <camera closes in on his hooded face> and he lights it... then crawl characters appear - "And the REAL trilogy begins..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Well, it was pretty clear in the EU before Disney axed it.  Tales of the Jedi is some great Dark Horse comics.  Even contained the story of Lord Mandalore and his Mandalorian warriors to go with the Fall of the Sith Empire.

The EU was never canon. The closest you can get to calling it canon is saying that they are all just tales of what happened in the star wars universe written by untrustworthy narrators. Lucas took many ideas from the EU, but it was never meant to be all canon.

Saying Disney "axed" the EU is nothing more than headline news. There was nothing to ax cause it was never there to be axed.

Quote

 

“There are two worlds here; There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books.”

– George Lucas, Cinescape, July 2001

 

“I don’t read that stuff. I haven’t read any of the novels. I don’t know anything about that world. That’s a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.”

– George Lucas, Starlog, August 2005

 

“[Lucas’] canon – and when I say ‘his canon’, I’m talking about what he was doing in the films and what he was doing in The Clone Wars – was hugely important. But what we were doing in the books really wasn’t on his radar.”

–Leland Chee, SyFy’s “Fandom Files #13”, January 2018

 

“For me and my training here at Lucasfilm, working with George, he and I always thought the Expanded Universe was just that. It was an expanded universe. Basically it’s stories that are really fun and really exciting, but they’re a view on Star Wars, not necessarily canon to him.That was the way it was from the day I walked into Lucasfilm with him all through Clone Wars, everything we worked on, he felt the Clone Wars series and his movies were what was actually the reality of it all, the canon, then there was everything else. So it wasn’t a big dynamic shift for me mentally when there was this big announcement saying the EU is now Legends. I’m like, ‘Okay, well, it’s kind of the same thing to me because that the way I work.’”

–Dave Filoni, ComicBook.com, September 2017

 

“The most definitive canon of the Star Wars universe is encompassed by the feature films and television productions in which George Lucas is directly involved. The movies and the Clone Wars television series are what he and his handpicked writers reference when adding cinematic adventures to the Star Wars oeuvre. But Lucas allows for an Expanded Universe that exists parallel to the one he directly oversees. […] Though these [Expanded Universe] stories may get his stamp of approval, they don’t enter his canon unless they are depicted cinematically in one of his projects.”

-Pablo Hidalgo, Star Wars: The Essential Reader’s Companion, October 2nd, 2012

 

“I’ve left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That’s because there isn’t any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn’t at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn’t come back to life, the Emperor doesn’t get cloned and Luke doesn’t get married…”

–George Lucas, Total Film, May 2007

 

“George had bigger fish to fry. He was trying to change filmmaking with digital technology. He wasn’t going to get involved in the minutiae of the Expanded Universe. He, quite literally, had better things to do.”

–J.W. Rinzler, interviewed for SWNN’s “The Resistance Broadcast”

 

 

I can't remember if I posted the following or decided against it to avoid another pointless argument about the current state of star wars, but here is what we have as canon compared to what Lucas had as canon.

Lucas Canon
- Episodes 1-6
- Clonewars TV series
- Rebels TV series

Disney Canon
- Episodes 1-9
- Clone wars TV Series
- Rebels TV series
- Dozens of Books and comics released by Disney writers
- Star wars Resistance
- Various concepts from the EU (ie different force abilities, Thrawn, KOTOR concepts, force sensitive clones, Passing of sith spirits, Palpatine being cloned, etc.)

 

This was Lucas's creation, but he paid little homage to the fan created content known as the EU. Disney has been giving more attention to it than Lucas ever did.
 

Edited by Fether

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fether said:

The EU was never canon. The closest you can get to calling it canon is saying that they are all just tales of what happened in the star wars universe written by untrustworthy narrators. Lucas took many ideas from the EU, but it was never meant to be all canon.    
  
Saying Disney "axed" the EU is nothing more than headline news. There was nothing to ax cause it was never there to be axed.

I don't even know where to begin on how wrong you are here.  And I guess now I understand why you like the new trilogy - because you never understood how the universe got built, so you have no problem with Disney destroying it.

That was the coolest thing about pre-Disney Star Wars - George Lucas maintained control of the universe such that the massive expansion of the universe beyond the movies is made possible, continually enriching the original stories with Lucas blessing everything that goes into it.  Tons of Star Wars enthusiasts got rich out of enhancing the universe,  Lucas got rich out of controlling the expanded universe, and the fans benefited from the richness of all of it.  There's canon and there's non-canon and there's adjustments to canon.  Nonetheless... there was a very clear delineation of what is canon and what is not.  And Tales of the Jedi was... canon.

 

Just now, Fether said:

I can't remember if I posted the following or decided against it to avoid another pointless argument about the current state of star wars, but here is what we have as canon compared to what Lucas had as canon.

Lucas
- Episodes 1-6
- Clonewars TV series
- Rebels TV series

Disney
- Episodes 1-9
- Clone wars TV Series
- Rebels TV series
- Dozens of Books and comics released by Disney writers
- Star wars Resistance
- Various concepts from the EU (ie different force abilities, KOTOR concepts, force sensitive clones, Passing of sith spirits, Palpatine being cloned, etc.)

 

This was Lucas's creation, but he paid little homage to the fan created content known as the EU. Disney (Abrams) has been giving more attention to it than Lucas ever did.
 

Hah hah.  Lucas did not get rich out of the EU for nothing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I don't even know where to begin on how wrong you are here.  And I guess now I understand why you like the new trilogy - because you never understood how the universe got built, so you have no problem with Disney destroying it.

That was the coolest thing about pre-Disney Star Wars - George Lucas maintained control of the universe such that the massive expansion of the universe beyond the movies is made possible, continually enriching the original stories with Lucas blessing everything that goes into it.  Tons of Star Wars enthusiasts got rich out of enhancing the universe,  Lucas got rich out of controlling the expanded universe, and the fans benefited from the richness of all of it.  There's canon and there's non-canon and there's adjustments to canon.  Nonetheless... there was a very clear delineation of what is canon and what is not.  And Tales of the Jedi was... canon.

 

Hah hah.  Lucas did not get rich out of the EU for nothing. 

 

So George Lucas, Leland Chee (manages starwars Continuity), Dave Filoni (Director of Clone Wars TV series), and the others were just all joking when they said things like:

- “There are two worlds here; There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe"

- “I don’t read that stuff. I haven’t read any of the novels. I don’t know anything about that world. That’s a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.”

- “The most definitive canon of the Star Wars universe is encompassed by the feature films and television productions in which George Lucas is directly involved. The movies and the Clone Wars television series are what he and his handpicked writers reference when adding cinematic adventures to the Star Wars oeuvre. But Lucas allows for an Expanded Universe that exists parallel to the one he directly oversees. […] Though these [Expanded Universe] stories may get his stamp of approval, they don’t enter his canon unless they are depicted cinematically in one of his projects.”

- “[Lucas’] canon – and when I say ‘his canon’, I’m talking about what he was doing in the films and what he was doing in The Clone Wars – was hugely important. But what we were doing in the books really wasn’t on his radar.”

 

I have gone from arguing to wanting to sincerely know what you are talking about. Based off of the quotes from the people are ran Lucas Film... it seems fairly obvious that the EU was NOT part of any canon. That Lucas only cared about the films and tv series.

It seems like Disney only clarified what Lucas already was doing.

Please learn me something.

Edited by Fether

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Fether said:

So George Lucas, Leland Chee (manages starwars Continuity), Dave Filoni (Director of Clone Wars TV series), and the others were just all joking when they said things like:

- “There are two worlds here; There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe"

- “I don’t read that stuff. I haven’t read any of the novels. I don’t know anything about that world. That’s a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.”

- “The most definitive canon of the Star Wars universe is encompassed by the feature films and television productions in which George Lucas is directly involved. The movies and the Clone Wars television series are what he and his handpicked writers reference when adding cinematic adventures to the Star Wars oeuvre. But Lucas allows for an Expanded Universe that exists parallel to the one he directly oversees. […] Though these [Expanded Universe] stories may get his stamp of approval, they don’t enter his canon unless they are depicted cinematically in one of his projects.”

- “[Lucas’] canon – and when I say ‘his canon’, I’m talking about what he was doing in the films and what he was doing in The Clone Wars – was hugely important. But what we were doing in the books really wasn’t on his radar.”

 

I have gone from arguing to wanting to sincerely know what you are talking about. Based off of the quotes from the people are ran Lucas Film... it seems fairly obvious that the EU was NOT part of any canon. That Lucas only cared about the films and tv series.

It seems like Disney only clarified what Lucas already was doing.

Please learn me something.

Dude.  My mother wouldn't let me go watch Star Wars (it wasn't called A New Hope then) at the theater with my brother because she thought I was too young to go to the movies.  Nevertheless, I've been following Star Wars since then.  Yes, I'm old.  I know.  It's kinda hard explaining to you what Star Wars is for us if you're just pulling selected quotes without the context of the history of the world building...

It's interesting that you consider all the books/comics/etc canon and call them "Disney writers".  Funny.  There are no "Disney writers".  It's simply writers that got the licensing go-ahead by Disney.  They are not employed by Disney.  It is the same thing with the pre-Disney universe.  Lucas peeps gives the license rights to story proposals, puts the thing in the chronology, adds the characters and "toys" to the universe, and the writer goes and writes it.  It becomes canon.  Yes, Lucas himself IS the arbiter of canon.  So when Lucas writes a new film, he does not have to bind himself by anything in the EU, the EU gets corrected by the film.  But Lucas himself CHOOSES to respect the canon established by the EU (you mentioned it in one of your quotes - he bothers to do things like look up names to make sure it does not conflict with an important character in the EU - he doesn't have to, he's not bound by it, but he chooses to anyway).  And what's doubly awesome is that Star Wars enthusiasts who add to the canon through the EU, understands and respects the universe.  It is quite the badge of honor to be licensed to add to the universe.  So they try their best as well to be consistent with every other material in the canon.  There are some good ones - like Timothy Zahn (who continued to write Star Wars post-Disney) - who always remains true to established characters in canon.  And there are not good ones - like whoever wrote Bobba Fett's novels - who misses on the characterization of established characters.  And there's the controversial ones - like R.A. Salvatorre who killed off Chewie (even if Lucas okay'd it, we bickered at Salvatorre for it).  But, they all strive to stay consistent with the universe and respect each character's characterization.

In any case - there's canon - Lucas makes money off of them, and there's non-canon (also called fan fiction) - Lucas doesn't make money off of them.  Very simple.

Now, here's the difference - Disney axed the EU.  I'm fine with it.  What made me not fine with it is when they couldn't be bothered to respect what they held over as canon - staying consistent is something pre-Disney enthusiasts care a whole lot about and is an integral part of the Star Wars tradition as they've all made great strides to keep the universe as consistent as possible!  If they can't be bothered to stay marginally consistent with their very limited canon then why bother axing the EU?  They didn't need to.  They can just pretend it doesn't exist like they do with the new canon. 

But what broke the heart of the fandom the most is Disney can't even be bothered to respect the characterization and story arcs of the major characters in the films Lucas created.  Every single Star Wars fan bickers about aspects of the universe - but the fandom understand Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Obiwan, Yoda, Vader, Palpatine and what drives them to who they are and has protected their characterizations in their own efforts in the EU.  Disney couldn't be bothered by any of that.  And the new characters are blah - except for Kylo Ren.  Kylo was short-changed in the universe but even then, he remains interesting - and since nobody really dies in Star Wars, the death of Kylo doesn't matter.  Finn's arc started off good and became stupid in Episode 8.  I'm neither curious nor interested in exploring these characters in any other Star Wars offering.  So, the universe is dead.

Edited by anatess2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I logged on here to to a rage filled rant because I'm in a very emotional state of mind right now and was gonna vent it...

But I see a few people on here sincerely liked the movie... and honestly, if you liked it and this film was a source of joy for you then I don't want to take that from you.  I'll keep quiet there.

Suffice it to say that, even though I am not, and never have been, a man of violence, if I had JJ Abrams in a room right now... I'd want to beat that man savagely for about an hour.  (Not just for Star Wars, but Star Trek as well)  I'd hold back only enough so that I had some left for Rian Johnson.

Today, I'm sick and home from work, and I'm watching the Original Trilogy to relive the time when Star Wars was beautiful and amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, unixknight said:

I logged on here to to a rage filled rant because I'm in a very emotional state of mind right now and was gonna vent it...

But I see a few people on here sincerely liked the movie... and honestly, if you liked it and this film was a source of joy for you then I don't want to take that from you.  I'll keep quiet there.

Suffice it to say that, even though I am not, and never have been, a man of violence, if I had JJ Abrams in a room right now... I'd want to beat that man savagely for about an hour.  (Not just for Star Wars, but Star Trek as well)  I'd hold back only enough so that I had some left for Rian Johnson.

Today, I'm sick and home from work, and I'm watching the Original Trilogy to relive the time when Star Wars was beautiful and amazing.

I feel you, man.  I really do.  I went through all stages of grief and had a funeral.  But I’m hanging on to Baby Yoda to save us but I cancelled Disney+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NeuroTypical said:

Remember, if it gets too bad, the Dune fandom will welcome you with open arms.   Well, except for this guy. 

I'm a Dune fan.  Quite honestly though part of me is excited about the upcoming Dune movie, and part of me is afraid,  very very afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with the Sequel Trilogy is that it was too similar to the OT but not as good.  I still like the trilogy but it could have been a lot better.  I would have been happy had they went with Lucas' story treatment.  It would have been much more original and inventive as well having a more singular vision.  

Call me crazy but I thought TLJ was the best of the ST.  It was the most original of the three.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 7:11 AM, Phineas said:

The problem with the Sequel Trilogy is that it was too similar to the OT but not as good.  I still like the trilogy but it could have been a lot better.  I would have been happy had they went with Lucas' story treatment.  It would have been much more original and inventive as well having a more singular vision.  

Call me crazy but I thought TLJ was the best of the ST.  It was the most original of the three.  

If TLJ would have been billed as a non-Star Wars story with Leia as some other woman and Luke as some other man and not THE Leia and Luke of Star Wars lore, and it wasn't set in a Star Wars universe it would have been a good movie.

What makes it suck is because it broke established rules and characterizations developed through 30 years of world building.  

It's like... okay, there's Phineas and Ferb.  We know them, we know their antics, we know they love trolling Candace who tries to always out them to their parents... so all of a sudden, a new director comes into the scene and didn't want to do the same antic of getting in trouble over summer vacation so he writes the next episode to be during winter break.  But not only that, now Candace is the one making projects and Phineas and Ferb are outing her to her parents to subvert expectations.  I mean, sure, ok... it's a plot twist... but in the process of doing that, they totally make Phineas and Ferb go out of character of being goody-two-shoes forgetting completely that they were troublemakers... that's when it all gets ruined.  Might as well create a brand new series called Ashley where Ashley gets in trouble during Winter Break and gets outed by her step brothers - then they can go to town with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now