Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

anatess2

59 minutes ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

The intense force power sucking and the omnipotent super force lightning at the Zeus scale was just stupid to me.  The more I think about the new force powers the more I hate the movie.  Then where the heck did Palpatine get the resources to produce hundreds of Star Destroyer ships each one mounted with a cannon strong enough to destroy an entire planet?

The movie was clearly made for the new age geeks of the Starwars series. The force draining, healing, and extreme force abilities, sith artifacts and secret homework’s are are all found in the expanded canon universe outside of the movies.

If you are a Starwars cinema purest, I can see how it would be weird. But if you grew up in the 90s and played KOTR1/2, The Starwars Jedi games, and/or Starwars Force Unleashed, Starwars Rebels and a Starwars Clone Wars, then episode 9 would be a welcome addition to the series as it did what the video games and tv series everyone of my generation grew up on.

Just to give you an idea of how this all fits in my mind:

1) in KOTR (Knights of the Old Republic, which has been confirmed to be canon), the Sith were not just a bunch of evil Jedi, they were an empire that was at war with the republic. It appears to be playing in that concept, that Palpatine was the leader of the remaining Sith and over episodes 1-9 he was manipulating the world preparing for the return of the Sith Empire as seen in episode 9.

2) In KOTR, soul jumping as explained by Palpatine was established

3) in Force Unleashed, the main character Galen pulled down a star destroyer from the sky with the force

4) In the Starwars Jedi games (and almost every other game) force drain and heal were among the many expanded force abilities not seen in the movies.

Episode 9 was very familiar experience and almost relieving to see concepts I loved finally make it to the cinema. The games and tv shows were far more spiritual and fantastical than episodes 1-8 were. 7-8 tried to impress the old school fans as well as the newer generation... but failed pretty bad... Episode 9 seemed to aim at the newer generation of fans by pulling more from non-cinematic canon than from the cinematic canon... which I personally prefer so much more. Though episodes 1-3 and 7-8 were not incredible, the stories in the tv series and video games were absolutely incredible.

41 minutes ago, Fether said:

4) In the Starwars Jedi games (and almost every other game) force drain and heal were among the many expanded force abilities not seen in the movies.

Yep - healers with their yellow lightsabers.  I got to explain that to my daughter.  And in a world where there are a diminishing number of opportunities for Dad to be relevant with movies and entertainment and stuff, it was a welcome opportunity to explain all this.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Just now, MormonGator said:

Why does Kylo wear a mask?

In memory of Vader. I can’t remember where it is explained, but he wants to be like his grandfather (guess Uncle Luke never told him he turned good in the end)

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Fether said:

In memory of Vader. I can’t remember where it is explained, but he wants to be like his grandfather (guess Uncle Luke never told him he turned good in the end)

Thanks bud. I guess I missed that. 

I thought it was a good movie, but perhaps not great (which still makes it worth seeing).

I have about the emperor though.   Isn't a Sith supposed to have an apprentice?  Kylo Ren wasn't a Sith (?), so he wasn't an apprentice?  Or maybe he was planned to be the apprentice by Palpatine? 

In the movie I kept expecting an apprentice to show up and have some light saber battle with Rey, but it didn't happen.

I'm just wondering if I missed something and if the Star Wars geeks could tell me if I happened to miss something.

One more question.  I'd always wondered why the Sith Master wanted an apprentice since it seemed likely that the apprentice would kill the master eventually.  Is this actually what the Sith Masters wanted all along though, so they would possess the bodies of the apprentice who killed them?  Or was this unique only to Palpatine?

Edited by Scott

4 hours ago, Scott said:

I thought it was a good movie, but perhaps not great (which still makes it worth seeing).

I have about the emperor though.   Isn't a Sith supposed to have an apprentice?  Kylo Ren wasn't a Sith (?), so he wasn't an apprentice?  Or maybe he was planned to be the apprentice by Palpatine? 

In the movie I kept expecting an apprentice to show up and have some light saber battle with Rey, but it didn't happen.

I'm just wondering if I missed something and if the Star Wars geeks could tell me if I happened to miss something.

One more question.  I'd always wondered why the Sith Master wanted an apprentice since it seemed likely that the apprentice would kill the master eventually.  Is this actually what the Sith Masters wanted all along though, so they would possess the bodies of the apprentice who killed them?  Or was this unique only to Palpatine?

C. 

J. J. Abrams had to clean up the mess left behind by Rian Johnson, and this was the best he could come up with. 

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

C. 

J. J. Abrams had to clean up the mess left behind by Rian Johnson, and this was the best he could come up with. 

In fairness to him, no one is more impossible to please than Star Wars fans. 

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Almost as bad as trekkies.

"A fat, sarcastic Star Trek fan? You must be a devil with the ladies."-The Simpsons 

Edited by MormonGator

After further thought on this and analyzing other people's thoughts this is what I feel happened with episodes seven to nine of Star Wars.  Disney wanted to make three movies after the original Star Wars Trilogy but had no overall plan.  Someone else said this and I completely agree with it:  "You do not take a multi billion dollar franchise and just wing it as if they were playing Whose Line is it Anyway? Star Wars should have received the Peter Jackson treatment [like Lord of the Rings] by filming all three films at once and have a coherent story arc."

When you have no overall plan for a decent story line for three movies this is what can happen.  It was not as if there was nothing good in episodes seven to nine of Star Wars because I did enjoy movies seven and eight.  The Rise of Skywalker felt to me like someone wrote the story line then handed off the script to another writer.  This writer was then rushed with seven other editors to just hurry up and get a movie finished.  There are undeveloped driftings on the plot line and material put in that just makes the movie end feel incomplete and silly to me.  

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

On 12/28/2019 at 6:41 PM, Fether said:

The movie was clearly made for the new age geeks of the Starwars series. The force draining, healing, and extreme force abilities, sith artifacts and secret homework’s are are all found in the expanded canon universe outside of the movies.

If you are a Starwars cinema purest, I can see how it would be weird. But if you grew up in the 90s

Ha ha.  I guess you completely forgot what Disney did to the EU.

Force draining, healing, etc... great. 

Baby Yoda doing it is cool because - he's Baby Yoda.  Rey doing it just because, of course, MaReySue just has to know everything about the force without any semblance of history of the source of such knowledge... yeah, like I'm going to dig through Disney's EU for that after they can't even get jetpacks on storm troopers be consistent within their limited canon... I mean - it only spits on Anakin's main struggle that led him to become Darth Vader - not being able to save his mother and his fear for Padme - especially as it is backgrounded in the pre-Disney-EU on how he ended up hating the Jedi as they did not make him Master which would have given him access to the full library of force powers.  But Rey - yeah, she just knows how to do it where Anakin didn't.

I mean, after all, MaReySue can just stand on the exact spot where the Sith Dagger can work just because.  Let's just make her do everything, of course, without needing to learn any of it.

You wanna do mythology?  Do it like the Mandalorian - Baby Yoda can heal - it makes us wonder how he can do that... that little cute creature that is so helpless he passes out when he uses "sorcery" that a Mandalorian has to be his clan to protect him.  Or get Moff Gideon the darksaber... makes you go... WHOA!  He got it!  And he knows Mando's name!  I wanna know more!

TROS is just trash.

The title is trash - The RISE of Skywalker... hah hah.  They killed off every Skywalker so Palpatine wins!  And Rey Palpatine - who has not shown she's shed the dark side as she fights the exact same way she fought since the beginning, in a cycle of fear, frustration, and anger, became all of the jedi because JJ said so - in pure SJW fashion, IDENTIFIES AS A SKYWALKER to take the name... PALPATINE WINS!  Of course.  It's all you can expect from this dumpster fire.

Edited by anatess2

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

And Rey Palpatine ... IDENTIFIES AS A SKYWALKER to take the name... 

Bio parents who gave their kids up because it was best for the kid, probably shed a few extra tears at this movie when she just dumps one set of dead jedi to declare herself adopted by another set of dead jedi.

7 hours ago, anatess2 said:

And Rey Palpatine - who has not shown she's shed the dark side as she fights the exact same way she fought since the beginning, in a cycle of fear, frustration, and anger, became all of the jedi because JJ said so - in pure SJW fashion, IDENTIFIES AS A SKYWALKER to take the name... PALPATINE WINS!  Of course.  It's all you can expect from this dumpster fire.

I identify as a Rockefeller, a Buffett, and a Gates. Also as a Nelson, a Smith, and a McKay, just to cover my rear.

Tomorrow I will identify as a Pharaoh Emperor god. Wish me luck! Or I'll have you strung up.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:28 PM, MormonGator said:

In fairness to him, no one is more impossible to please than Star Wars fans. 

In this case though, the fans had grounds to complain. A *lot* of this trilogy can be summed up as "throw things against the wall to see what sticks", and whenever there was any criticism of any sort the knee-jerk reaction was "You're all just bigots!" as a means of silencing dissent rather than trying to hear what people were complaining about. 

"The Empire manages to regroup and catches the New Republic sleeping" was a feasible premise.

The main characters we had all had potential. 

The main actors for the series were still alive. 

Disney managed to squander it all by treating it like some dress-up party rather than taking things seriously. 

I noted earlier, for example, how popular the whole "What if the series had focused on Finn becoming a Jedi?" concept is with the actual fans. If someone was to do a competently-written reworking of the trilogy with *that* as the premise, folks would be all over it. That's the kind of thing folks are truly wanting. 

8 hours ago, Ironhold said:

I noted earlier, for example, how popular the whole "What if the series had focused on Finn becoming a Jedi?" concept is with the actual fans. If someone was to do a competently-written reworking of the trilogy with *that* as the premise, folks would be all over it. That's the kind of thing folks are truly wanting. 

A storm trooper fleeing the 1st order and becoming a Jedi? That would have been a cool concept to witness. Perhaps having him be a knight or Ren, one or SnokeMs guards, or another melee unit would allow them to skip over some amount of training montages too.

6 minutes ago, Fether said:

A storm trooper fleeing the 1st order and becoming a Jedi? That would have been a cool concept to witness. Perhaps having him be a knight or Ren, one or SnokeMs guards, or another melee unit would allow them to skip over some amount of training montages too.

Knights of Ren.  Great concept, made into a joke in TROS.  They just walk around with Ren looking cool (no story development on how Ren got knights in a trilogy of movies, of course, because we can't be bothered by that!  The toys will sell, promise!  Let's just have some storm trooper on screen say "Hey look!  They're the Knights of Ren!") then Ren becomes Ben and all of a sudden he is fighting his own Knights.  So, I guess they're not Knights of Ren, they're Knights of Palpatine...  Palpatine wins again.  Hah hah. 

Snoke.  Great concept, made into a joke in both TLJ and TROS.  Oh sorry, Ruin Johnson killed my bad guy I was developing, let's make him into a Palpatine-created clone thingee and have a couple of them in reserve... And by the way, Ruin Johnson made General Hux (another cool concept) a cartoon character, let's make him into a spy because... "I hate Ren!" and just have some badder guy - no backstory, not much use in TROS either - end him.

Dumpster.  Fire.

I'm gonna jump in here to say a couple of things after watching this last installment of cra....uh, Rise of Skywalker. First, why?why?why? Are people really that desperate to see gay kissing that they have to have it so prominent in this movie? Ugh. I should be used to it being in every freaking thing put out by Hollywood, but I suppose I'm still naive. And I hope to see Dominic Monaghan in a Star Trek movie at some point so he can be a part of the trifecta of movies...LOTR, SW, ST. 

Thank you, @anatess2 for expressing some of my thoughts on ignoring her parents, Palpatine winning, among other issues. I did have a little rejoice moment to see Chewy get his medal, although I felt he deserved the ceremony with it. 

1 minute ago, beefche said:

Thank you, @anatess2 for expressing some of my thoughts on ignoring her parents, Palpatine winning, among other issues. I did have a little rejoice moment to see Chewy get his medal, although I felt he deserved the ceremony with it. 

More stupid fan service which is another one of those... what medal is that???  How did Maz get that medal?  Of course, you gotta have to dig up through the EU to figure it out which leads you to another dumpster fire of how much they disrespected Han... and so Chewy did not really get awarded a medal, he just got some memento that Han cared so little about he used it to pay debts because he's such a loser.

If you're gonna do fan service, at least do it in a way that RESPECTS the universe.

There is nothing in this movie that's not a dumpster fire.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:18 AM, Still_Small_Voice said:

...I did enjoy movies seven and eight.  The Rise of Skywalker felt to me like someone wrote the story line then handed off the script to another writer.  This writer was then rushed with seven other editors to just hurry up and get a movie finished.  There are undeveloped driftings on the plot line and material put in that just makes the movie end feel incomplete and silly to me.  

8 killed Star Wars.  9 making fun of 8 couldn't save it.  But hey, some people liked 9 just because it makes 8 irrelevant regardless of the dumpster fire that it is.  Hey, I'm a ReyLo fan... even THAT is in 9 to give people like me fan service - hah hah.  9 is not a story.  9 is a - "let's have a poll on what fans are saying after we call them sexist bigots and brew it all into a movie!  Doesn't have to make sense!  And will you look at that 86% RT score!  It worked!"!

Edited by anatess2