Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker


anatess2

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Ironhold said:

In this case though, the fans had grounds to complain. A *lot* of this trilogy can be summed up as "throw things against the wall to see what sticks", and whenever there was any criticism of any sort the knee-jerk reaction was "You're all just bigots!" as a means of silencing dissent rather than trying to hear what people were complaining about. 

The problem with Disney Star Wars is that the creators truly do not understand the magic of Star Wars nor its fandom.  Fandom bickering is a part of the magic of Star Wars.  Fandom bickering is fun like sibling rivalry is fun after you've all grown up and reminisce about the awesome times you used to shoot your brother over and over with your nerf gun.  In the end, y'all are still in agreement this is the greatest story ever told and y'all still love Luke, Han, Leia, Chewy, Darth Vader, the droids...

What happened after Star Wars 8 was not bickering.  It was an outcry for the disrespect to the CORE of Star Wars - the main 4... Luke, Han, Leia, Chewy.  Instead of addressing THAT, they dismissed it as... fans gonna bicker regardless.... oh, and they're bigots too.  Fans were crying over a broken Star Wars not just some bickering over midichlorians or Jarjar Binks or the Empire Did Nothing Wrong.

The Mandalorian is how you do Star Wars.  Fan service that is woven into a story.  Some new force powers that makes people excited because it is developed and not just thrown at you.  Cool toys - armours, weapons, ships.  Mythology that makes sense.  Strong women that are strong for a reason and not just because the scriptwriter declared them as such.  And... nobody can top memelord baby yoda...  And yes, it has plenty of flaws for fans to bicker over.  It's part of the experience.

Edited by anatess2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

More stupid fan service which is another one of those... what medal is that???  How did Maz get that medal?  Of course, you gotta have to dig up through the EU to figure it out which leads you to another dumpster fire of how much they disrespected Han... and so Chewy did not really get awarded a medal, he just got some memento that Han cared so little about he used it to pay debts because he's such a loser.

If you're gonna do fan service, at least do it in a way that RESPECTS the universe.

There is nothing in this movie that's not a dumpster fire.

I recognized that it was more of a memento rather than an award for his own service. I'm not into the EU to know the details you provided. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, beefche said:

I recognized that it was more of a memento rather than an award for his own service. I'm not into the EU to know the details you provided. 

Check this out... So Han owed Maz tons of money because of some gambling debt or something so Han gave Maz Luke's medal as payment for the debt.  Yep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

She is a thief and probably stole Luke’s saber too. Hence the reason we never see it in this trilogy.

Emmanuel, Han Solo gave the medal to Maz Kanata to pay for his gambling debts.  This is in the Disney-cannon novel, Force Collector.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Emmanuel, Han Solo gave the medal to Maz Kanata to pay for his gambling debts.  This is in the Disney-cannon novel, Force Collector.

But, who is the source? It is not like Han is around to verify that story. Hmm, seems she may have been behind his death. Perhaps Maz is the person holding the marionette strings for the entire saga. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

But, who is the source? It is not like Han is around to verify that story. Hmm, seems she may have been behind his death. Perhaps Maz is the person holding the marionette strings for the entire saga. 

That would be a more intriguing "subversion of expectations" than the trilogy.  You need to replace the scriptwriters at Lucasfilm!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

Not quite.  Too many loose ends for my sake.:confused:

I actually loved it. The only thing I didn't love was that it turned the "Skywalker Sage" into the "Palpatine Saga". A lot of things said in it seemed to suggest that Anakin/Vader was just a puppet to prepare the Sith Empire Return. But other than that, I enjoyed it greatly.

What I did absolutely love was the introduction of the Sith Empire. What they did was build a fantastic basis for what I hope is the next Starwars Saga scheduled to be released in 2022, The Knights of the Old Republic, which is all about the Sith Empire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fether said:

it turned the "Skywalker Sage" into the "Palpatine Saga". 

When I heard that palpatine was coming back, I decided I wasn't going to see the movie. I hate the sequel trilogy, but never before so much that I would outright refuse to see one of the movies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Moonbeast32 said:

When I heard that palpatine was coming back, I decided I wasn't going to see the movie. I hate the sequel trilogy, but never before so much that I would outright refuse to see one of the movies.

I don't know if you are familiar with any of the StarWars Legends/ExtendedUniverse stuff, but as soon as it got announced that he was returning, many SW fans already had some concepts in mind with how they were going to do it. I am actually really happy with how they did it. But I get that Disney writing is not always up to par with other's expectations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fether said:

I actually loved it. The only thing I didn't love was that it turned the "Skywalker Sage" into the "Palpatine Saga". A lot of things said in it seemed to suggest that Anakin/Vader was just a puppet to prepare the Sith Empire Return. But other than that, I enjoyed it greatly.

What I did absolutely love was the introduction of the Sith Empire. What they did was build a fantastic basis for what I hope is the next Starwars Saga scheduled to be released in 2022, The Knights of the Old Republic, which is all about the Sith Empire.

It appears that the next group of movies will be during the High Republic about half a Millenia before Yavin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

It appears that the next group of movies will be during the High Republic about half a Millenia before Yavin.

I’m actually really excited to see Disney make a Star Wars saga from scratch. Not bound by any pre existing plots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fether said:

I’m actually really excited to see Disney make a Star Wars saga from scratch. Not bound by any pre existing plots.

The Disney problem is not just pre-existing plots but established rules of the universe.  

So yea, Disney is going to make a new space saga and call it Star Wars to ride on the money-making label.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The Disney problem is not just pre-existing plots but established rules of the universe.  

So yea, Disney is going to make a new space saga and call it Star Wars to ride on the money-making label.

And it will be glorious

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Fether said:

And it will be glorious

Meh.  Maybe Mandalorian can save Star Wars.  We'll see.

In any case, Star Wars is done.  Disney can call their space saga Star Wars but everybody knows it's not Star Wars anymore.  So the magic that is Star Wars - the universe, the chronology, the characters, the universe, the toys, the creatures, the expanded universe, the fandom, the tradition... is gone.  I doubt it will come back.  Disney Star Wars has become just another fad and not the cultural icon that it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Meh.  Maybe Mandalorian can save Star Wars.  We'll see.

In any case, Star Wars is done.  Disney can call their space saga Star Wars but everybody knows it's not Star Wars anymore.  So the magic that is Star Wars - the universe, the chronology, the characters, the universe, the toys, the creatures, the expanded universe, the fandom, the tradition... is gone.  I doubt it will come back.  Disney Star Wars has become just another fad and not the cultural icon that it was.

I am not really planning to ever watch any of these new three films again. I do like the Rogue one film and I like a little of the Solo film. I do like the TV shows except Resistance, dumb show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just watched this movie last night and I would rate it a 5/10 (if not Star Wars I would probably have rated it lower). These are the reasons for me:

1. It was very slow. An hour into it I was wondering how soon it would end. I could have fallen asleep but kept my eyes open just to say I finished it

2. Too predictable. Except for the very end with Kylo Ren

3. Appeared to try to hard to make it great, failed miserably

4. She had trouble with the toy lazer shooter to be a jedi (how many times did she get hit with her eyes open?)

5. The acting seemed really off beat

6. Bringing back a certain character was just silly to me, there is a point when something that is unbelievable really can't be made believable even by the force.

7. Specific animals on a Destroyer (almost laughed instead of yelling awesome in my mind)

8. Thought they were going to create a love triangle with a storm trooper who gets a "feeling" -- too predictable. Gag.

 

 

Edited by Anddenex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/7/2020 at 7:56 PM, Fether said:

What I did absolutely love was the introduction of the Sith Empire. What they did was build a fantastic basis for what I hope is the next Starwars Saga scheduled to be released in 2022, The Knights of the Old Republic, which is all about the Sith Empire.

You mean the latest iteration of the Sith Empire, yes?  KotOR happens like 3-4000 years before Luke is born.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

You mean the latest iteration of the Sith Empire, yes?  KotOR happens like 3-4000 years before Luke is born.

Exactly. Until ROS, it was unclear whether the Sith empire was a thing or not. Now we know it is and they can build on it with the origins in KOTOR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...