Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

anatess2

6 hours ago, anatess2 said:

If TLJ would have been billed as a non-Star Wars story with Leia as some other woman and Luke as some other man and not THE Leia and Luke of Star Wars lore, and it wasn't set in a Star Wars universe it would have been a good movie.

What makes it suck is because it broke established rules and characterizations developed through 30 years of world building.  

It's like... okay, there's Phineas and Ferb.  We know them, we know their antics, we know they love trolling Candace who tries to always out them to their parents... so all of a sudden, a new director comes into the scene and didn't want to do the same antic of getting in trouble over summer vacation so he writes the next episode to be during winter break.  But not only that, now Candace is the one making projects and Phineas and Ferb are outing her to her parents to subvert expectations.  I mean, sure, ok... it's a plot twist... but in the process of doing that, they totally make Phineas and Ferb go out of character of being goody-two-shoes forgetting completely that they were troublemakers... that's when it all gets ruined.  Might as well create a brand new series called Ashley where Ashley gets in trouble during Winter Break and gets outed by her step brothers - then they can go to town with it.

Yeah.  I never understood this line of criticism.  In an ongoing saga, characters  evolve. They have character archs.   Phineas and Ferb isn’t a saga.  It repeats the same gimmicks in every episode.  And that’s fine for a children’s cartoon.  But with a saga like Star Wars, I like to have things shaken up a bit.

To each their own.

21 hours ago, Phineas said:

Yeah.  I never understood this line of criticism.  In an ongoing saga, characters  evolve. They have character archs.   Phineas and Ferb isn’t a saga.  It repeats the same gimmicks in every episode.  And that’s fine for a children’s cartoon.  But with a saga like Star Wars, I like to have things shaken up a bit.

To each their own.

Sure.  Characters evolve.  That's why you started with a whiny Luke Skywalker that was nothing but a moisture farm boy that only dreamed of getting off-planet somehow that just happened upon 2 droids that thrust his whiny self into the middle of a rebellion.  He could barely spell Jedi let alone do Jedi tricks but Ben got him started in that direction so he evolved into a Jedi in training under Yoda, still whiny, still impulsive, his loyalty to his family and friends always getting in the way of  his training but he continues to come back to Yoda until he became a master and stopped being whiny but still his loyalty to his family and friends continue to be the driving force of his goodness.  So then he's now fighting the Sith but then one of the Sith is his father so he throws away common sense and tries to save his father.  The Emperor, knowing his core value of being loyal to his family and friends using it to be his weakness and sets his family and friends to be killed by the Sith unless he kills his father and become a Sith - completely against his character.  So in the middle of this great conflict - a defining moment in his life - he does the impossible let's go of his anger and he begs his father to help him.  His father seeing Luke's strength of character that is greatly loyal to his friends and family despite everything, remembers that it is his core value as well and kills the Emperor, gives up his life to save his son.  Such a great arch that started off as a whiny teen-ager that defined the hero that is Luke Skywalker that everybody loved who then tried to kill his very own nephew and abandoned his friends and family.

Yeah... That arch makes a lot of sense.  NOT.  IT IS IDIOTIC.  

4 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Yeah... That arch makes a lot of sense.  NOT.  IT IS IDIOTIC.

And now you know why I hated the first "Mission: Impossible" movie, despite liking Tom Cruise and enjoying the genre. When you make Jim Phelps a traitorous bad guy who happily allows his own people to be butchered (and for the price of One. Miiiiillion. Dollars. Cue mad laughter from the audience), you have assurance that I won't like the story, no matter what else you do.