The spirit as "telepathy"...

CommanderSouth

An interesting thought I had this week while driving home from a holiday visit.

One idea that has been percolating in my mind lately is that God is real (amazing I know).  With this being the case, while we don't understand all his ways, they are within the natural order of things, at least this is my feeling on the matter.  That in mind, the thought came to me that while talking to my wife that the idea of spiritual communication is very similar to the idea of telepathy.  Another thought that has been kicking around for me lately is that language is finite in its ability to communicate, which in turn always makes me think of Moroni lamenting his inability to articulate like the Brother of Jared.  This idea manifested itself to me through the discussion of language (specifically Christ's role in it's development), which then got me thinking, the spirit speaks to our mind/heart, how is that not really just telepathy so to speak.  I then went a bit further down the road with it and am now thinking that as we live righteously, we put ourselves in a position to "hear" the spirit better, and that isn't just a platitude, it's a physical truth.

I say all of this because my whole life growing up as a Protestant was that God basically had no rules, he could just do anything and it was magic.  The more I study, the more I think he is bound by rule just as we are.  Granted this kicks the whole "who made the rules" can down the road another step, but it makes God far more approachable.

Just wanted to throw this out to see what you guys thought about it.

The concept of telepathy and the Spirit are fun to ponder; however, for me, I would have a hard time calling it telepathy. It may resemble what we define as telepathy, but I would think it is much more spiritual in nature rather than physical.

Things are spiritually discerned. The Spirit is able to reveal the mind/heart of individuals.

53 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

The concept of telepathy and the Spirit are fun to ponder; however, for me, I would have a hard time calling it telepathy. It may resemble what we define as telepathy, but I would think it is much more spiritual in nature rather than physical.

Things are spiritually discerned. The Spirit is able to reveal the mind/heart of individuals.

And in fairness I feel like the word telepathy is rough as an analog.  That being said when I mentioned physical law I wondered if that was the best word, I agree spiritual is likely better, I was more going after the actual reality of there being a firm law. 

The Doctrine and Covenants Institute manual has the following quote:

God has all power because He is in perfect harmony with all law."

Just like how a man with a perfect understanding of chess will be vastly greater than a novice, so is God to man.

We are here to learn those physical and spiritual laws that we learn of in the Bible. It is law that in order to produce miracle we must be clean. Through repentance and Christ, we can live in harmony with those eternal spiritual laws and just like physical laws, the spiritual ones will manifest spiritual reactions in our lives.

Once we master all these laws, then we are like God

8 hours ago, Anddenex said:

It's trying to put something we don't understand within our limited knowledge.  It's trying to put a square peg in a round hole because all you have are square pegs and round holes.

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

It's trying to put something we don't understand within our limited knowledge.  It's trying to put a square peg in a round hole because all you have are square pegs and round holes.

True. I first pondered telepathy and the Spirit on my mission because it was the only earthly definition that could relatively be close to the communication of the Spirit to us -- mind and heart.

I think these are good ways for us to begin to theorize and learn, but can also hinder and become quickly a religious hobby that inhibits learning.

We use what knowledge we have to try to understand the unknown.

11 hours ago, CommanderSouth said:

One idea that has been percolating in my mind lately is that God is real (amazing I know).  With this being the case, while we don't understand all his ways, they are within the natural order of things, at least this is my feeling on the matter.  That in mind, the thought came to me that while talking to my wife that the idea of spiritual communication is very similar to the idea of telepathy.  Another thought that has been kicking around for me lately is that language is finite in its ability to communicate, which in turn always makes me think of Moroni lamenting his inability to articulate like the Brother of Jared.  This idea manifested itself to me through the discussion of language (specifically Christ's role in it's development), which then got me thinking, the spirit speaks to our mind/heart, how is that not really just telepathy so to speak.  I then went a bit further down the road with it and am now thinking that as we live righteously, we put ourselves in a position to "hear" the spirit better, and that isn't just a platitude, it's a physical truth.

I say all of this because my whole life growing up as a Protestant was that God basically had no rules, he could just do anything and it was magic.  The more I study, the more I think he is bound by rule just as we are.  Granted this kicks the whole "who made the rules" can down the road another step, but it makes God far more approachable.

I think God can create laws for lesser kingdoms by abiding those laws set by His forebears.

On 12/25/2019 at 9:55 PM, CommanderSouth said:

A couple of thoughts - G-d is not bound by rules but has become free through the mastery of rules and law.

The limiting nature of language is the ambiguity of words when expressing thoughts and ideas.  Spiritual communication overcomes the ambiguity and communicates complete thoughts and ideas.

The Traveler

On 12/25/2019 at 8:55 PM, CommanderSouth said:

So, Telepathy is hearing someone else's thoughts or ideas, but I think our connection with God sometimes exceeds that level of communication rising to the level of knowing what someone else knows. I'm not sure if there is a word for it but it goes beyond communication. Revelation can be a thought or an idea but change/conversion requires more than simple communication. I've often thought that the Holy Ghost effectively acts as a conduit to the mind and will of God, but I feel my explanation is still not close enough to the real thing. If only I could communicate the way God does, then it would be clear.

On 12/25/2019 at 10:55 PM, CommanderSouth said:

... the idea of spiritual communication is very similar to the idea of telepathy. 

... the spirit speaks to our mind/heart, how is that not really just telepathy so to speak. 

Well, try to explain what exactly telepathy is to begin with.  Can we say it is "just telepathy"?  Well, we can't say A=B when we don't really know what A or B are in the first place. 

Based on the general ideas of what they are, we can certainly say they have similar qualities.  But to definitively state they are the same thing or different things, we'd have to know that A) Telepathy is a real thing B) What it actually is and how it works.  And C) How does "hearing the Spirit" actually work?