Garden Girl

Garden Girl

<<snip>> I'm the Garden Girl from the beautiful central Oregon coast... widowed... 66 years old...

Grew up in Church... but fell head over heels for non-LDS man... eloped to Las Vegas... married 38 years when my dear hubby passed away suddenly from complications of surgery 9 yrs ago... very unexpected. During our marriage I had slipped into inactivity for over 30 years... reactivated 12 years ago, with testimony of Gospel stronger than ever. Hubby honored my faith and was supportive but would never join me in my faith...

Now I share my life with a pushy cat named Charlie... in my little cottage-by-the-sea in Gleneden Beach, OR. My home ward is Lincoln City... we have sooo many visitors during summer as Lincoln City is a wonderful place for family reunions, honeymoons, etc. etc. We have to open up the cultural hall and set up additional chairs every Sunday during summer. Our ward is truly special and has a special spirit that our visitors always mention... many come back again and again.

<<snip>>

Well, that's about it... so here I am and I look forward to these forums...

from the beach... The Garden Girl

Hello Garden Girl - I am from the Central Oregon Coast too! Well I was until I remarried and moved to Arizona. I lived in Waldport. I really miss the coast. I miss the friendlyness of the coast LDS members. Well, actually the friendlyness isn't restricted to just the Oregon Coast - it is the entire Pacific Northwest.

I am looking forward to getting to know you and everyone else here.

Iggy

Iggy!!

Waldport is charming!!

Talk about culture shock... from the beautiful central Oregon coast to Arizona... but, I have seen the beauty of the desert and the Saguaro at sunrise and listened to the silence, broken only by the distant warble of a winged friend greeting the day... my husband loved the desert... I loved the sea.

Garden Girl

Iggy!!

Waldport is charming!!

Talk about culture shock... from the beautiful central Oregon coast to Arizona... but, I have seen the beauty of the desert and the Saguaro at sunrise and listened to the silence, broken only by the distant warble of a winged friend greeting the day... my husband loved the desert... I loved the sea.

Garden Girl

You are right about the silence - I swear I can hear the dirt cooling off! My husband was once at the Olympic Penisula (sp!!) and loved it, then he spent a few months in Keno, OR - loved it there too. When he came to Waldport to marry me and pack me up for the move to Arizona he arrived at the same time our first winter storm hit. He had just left Monsoon rains in Arizona - 115 degrees and maybe one hour of rain - to arrive in rain coming at you sideways and then straight down for days on end, and to him it was COLD - it was about 65 degrees. I had all the windows open, my 8 foot deep deck is completly covered overhead. I had a setee, two chairs and an end table out on the deck 24/7 year round. I vacuumed them every morning to gtet the spiders off of them. I had my windows wide open until the temp dropped to 50 degrees. That is when the furnace would kick on.

I love the mountains, the trees, I have a healthy respect for the sea and I do like to be within a half hour to an hours drive to it. But I do not miss my ironing board rusting open, or the salt from the ocean pitting the locks on my doors and pitting the windows. Nor do I miss the sand being blown in through the most miniscule (sp!!) crevices. I miss the green, the moss hanging from the trees, the pine needle smell that signals the middle of autumn.

I miss the deer that called my property home. I miss watching their fawns grow up. I even miss the bobcat that used my property as his buffett - he loved the beaver that damned up my creek! I loved him for keeping the beaver population down. I wonder if the Bull Elk is still alive? His bugeling scared the beejees right out of me the first time I heard it. Never knew they made a noise and he was right outside my bedroom window. I was so scared I couldn't even breathe. I will never miss the bear that would tear my garbage can to shreds on a weekly basis. I really ticked him/her off when I got a galvanized one and put two padlocks on it. S/he rolled that thing clear down to the creek and left it half submerged.

I miss my guinea fowl - can't have them here - no shade or protection for them. I love them. They are so ugly, you just have to love them.

Husband really doesn't care where we retire to so long as it doesn't snow much or long. Sorry Yed, no way we can move there - so I am cruising the internet looking for possible places. We want the summers to be no hotter than the 90's and no more than a foot or less of snow during the winter.

Opps, Garden Girl - I really rambled on - guess I have been more homesick than I realized. ~ Iggy

Iggy... loved your post... you are a true coastal Oregonian... the "valley people" really miss a lot. There are some inconveniences here, like I have to go to McMinnville, Portland and Salem for real medical/dental care. But it's worth it.

Yeah, you're homesick... we've had the best summer in several years. More 70 degree days than ever before... cool breezes to keep things comfortable...

Garden Girl