Emotional at civilization?

Guest Gallant Pioneer

Guest Gallant Pioneer

Happy new year to each and all, May 2020 be a blessing to you. And for those who keep an eye out for Chinese astrology, nod to the Rats! 

I have a strange one for you. Its something I do from time to time and it is almost always whilst driving at night. 

Upon reaching a town or city at night I tend to feel connected and emotional to everyone.. Houses and apartments with their lights on whilst others with their lights off.. Lone dog walkers and maybe the occasional wild life scurrying across the street. 

It's not tears nor is it sadness... Its something else... What is it? 

Recently I finished work late, 22:30, drove one minute down the main road and came to cross road where traffic lights are in the middle of the street surrounded by old buildings. There was a filling station to my right with the lights dimmed with only a handful being served... Again, I felt weirdly connected to the city and to everyone I see ... This feeling or whatever follows me home and often until I sleep.. 

Do any of my fellow saints feel me here? 

Happy new year guys.

4 hours ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

It's not tears nor is it sadness... Its something else... What is it?

Nostalgia, but may or may not be connected to your past.

i.e. it is the same feeling, but it is about experiencing the idyllic as if it is familiar, and you're coming home to it.

I feel that way when I see something familiar - like passing by a small town with a square and a bell tower... always reminds me of Chardon OH - I love that square in Chardon.  Lots of memories.  It was Chardon that finally made me feel at home in the USA.  Interestingly, everytime I see Main Street (seems like every American town has one), it also reminds me of Chardon.

Here's a quirk of mine:

I drive long distances a lot - and a lot of times, I pass by these long stretches of nothing and then there's one house in the middle of nothingness.  Or there's nothing, nothing, nothing, then a tiny town, then nothing, nothing, nothing.   Or there's mountains and right on the top of one there's one lone house.  Everytime I see these, the urge to stop the car, get out, knock on the door and ask whoever answers the door - how is life here, what do you do for a living, can I live with you for a month? - is soooo strong I have to grip the steering wheel so hard to keep driving.

Guest Gallant Pioneer
1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

I feel that way when I see something familiar - like passing by a small town with a square and a bell tower... always reminds me of Chardon OH - I love that square in Chardon.  Lots of memories.  It was Chardon that finally made me feel at home in the USA.  Interestingly, everytime I see Main Street (seems like every American town has one), it also reminds me of Chardon.

Here's a quirk of mine:

I drive long distances a lot - and a lot of times, I pass by these long stretches of nothing and then there's one house in the middle of nothingness.  Or there's nothing, nothing, nothing, then a tiny town, then nothing, nothing, nothing.   Or there's mountains and right on the top of one there's one lone house.  Everytime I see these, the urge to stop the car, get out, knock on the door and ask whoever answers the door - how is life here, what do you do for a living, can I live with you for a month? - is soooo strong I have to grip the steering wheel so hard to keep driving.

I hear you. 

Another thing for me, when I still had my retriever and I couldn't sleep at night I'd always get that weird feeling when I walked my dog and turned down a quiet street with undisturbed snow on the ground under the street lights and then I realize the only prints there are mine and my dog's.

Weird. 

29 minutes ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

I hear you. 

Another thing for me, when I still had my retriever and I couldn't sleep at night I'd always get that weird feeling when I walked my dog and turned down a quiet street with undisturbed snow on the ground under the street lights and then I realize the only prints there are mine and my dog's.

Weird. 

Oh... same thing when I smell Filipino food in foreign places - even if it's not from Filipino food it just smelled like it.  Like I was in a fair in nowhere USA and smelled lumpia.  I felt that at-home feeling and went looking for the source of the smell and it's just dog on a stick.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:21 PM, Gallant Pioneer said:

I hear you. 

Weird. 

I just had a recent experience on this.  We were on some new highway in Texas at 2am.  Speed limit 65.  We were the only car in the entire highway - no visible red tailights no visible oncoming headlights... just us.  And the fog.  The fog was so thick I can only see as far as my headlights.  Turning on the brights made the fog look like a solid wall.  Everybody else in the car were asleep.  It was just me, the road, and the fog careening at 65mph feeling weird.

48 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I just had a recent experience on this.  We were on some new highway in Texas at 2am.  Speed limit 65.  We were the only car in the entire highway - no visible red tailights no visible oncoming headlights... just us.  And the fog.  The fog was so thick I can only see as far as my headlights.  Turning on the brights made the fog look like a solid wall.  Everybody else in the car were asleep.  It was just me, the road, and the fog careening at 65mph feeling weird.

Sounds like this is an unusual occurrence for you. Where I grew up and where I now live, it's not unusual to have fog like that on the highway, where using your brights actually makes things less visible. The main thing is: DON'T OVERDRIVE YOUR HEADLIGHTS. When you're driving, you always have to ask yourself, If a stationary car (or bridge abutment) suddenly popped up at the limit of my visibility, could I stop in time? If the answer is "no" (and if you're driving normally, the answer is always no), then you need to slow down.

Fog driving is the worst. By far the most dangerous driving conditon (except possibly black ice patches on the curves of an otherwise clear, dry roadway—that's pretty terrifying). I would rather drive at highway speeds in deep snow or slush than drive in heavy highway fog, ten times out of ten.

Guest Gallant Pioneer
57 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I'm feeling that, I'd say its more about the time and the place when these things happen rather than what it is that's happening. I mean it's not like I haven't seen snow before but on that night in that very moment, I was somehow connected to it a level beyond just that of snow. 

Something beautiful about cruising through the fog at night whilst everyone else is asleep. A kind of serene but earie poetry in motion. 

Maybe that's got something to do with it.. Like my reaction to civilization.. Maybe it's something to do with being out on the road when everyone else isn't. Walking a path when nobody else is etc. 

Hard to tell.. 

8 minutes ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

I'm feeling that, I'd say its more about the time and the place when these things happen rather than what it is that's happening. I mean it's not like I haven't seen snow before but on that night in that very moment, I was somehow connected to it a level beyond just that of snow. 

Something beautiful about cruising through the fog at night whilst everyone else is asleep. A kind of serene but earie poetry in motion. 

I think this is it!  Eerie poetry in motion!  And yes, it seems like it has to be a certain place in time and that feeling of connection to everything.

8 minutes ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

Maybe that's got something to do with it.. Like my reaction to civilization.. Maybe it's something to do with being out on the road when everyone else isn't. Walking a path when nobody else is etc. 

Hard to tell.. 

I think it's being touched by something spiritual, if not the Spirit himself.

Here's another perspective which may or may not be connected to this.  The way I've always felt the Spirit - when I know that I am receiving communication, whether it be an answer to a prayer, a comfort, or an inspiration from the Holy Ghost - is through a similar feeling through the fog.  Like that one time that I fasted and prayed to know if the Great Apostasy is true, I sat on the beach facing the Atlantic with the book The Great Apostasy and read it from cover to cover, and something in my brain clicked, my brain went very peaceful like the time stopped and I see everything in very high resolution around me and it's like I am completely one with nature and I thought of the apostasy with everything I know and it's like my brain got washed by cool water it is so peaceful.  That's when I know the apostasy is true.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gallant Pioneer
On 1/10/2020 at 6:14 PM, anatess2 said:

I think this is it!  Eerie poetry in motion!  And yes, it seems like it has to be a certain place in time and that feeling of connection to everything.

I think it's being touched by something spiritual, if not the Spirit himself.

Here's another perspective which may or may not be connected to this.  The way I've always felt the Spirit - when I know that I am receiving communication, whether it be an answer to a prayer, a comfort, or an inspiration from the Holy Ghost - is through a similar feeling through the fog.  Like that one time that I fasted and prayed to know if the Great Apostasy is true, I sat on the beach facing the Atlantic with the book The Great Apostasy and read it from cover to cover, and something in my brain clicked, my brain went very peaceful like the time stopped and I see everything in very high resolution around me and it's like I am completely one with nature and I thought of the apostasy with everything I know and it's like my brain got washed by cool water it is so peaceful.  That's when I know the apostasy is true.

I think I know what you mean, I get the same thing when I question my path in life like I did recently. I got the chance to go back to the first place I worked for when I first left school. I've been loving it but lately as the boss has turned out to be a bit of a case. I prayed and meditated on the purpose of me being back on the old stomping ground and after a few hours I could feel the gears moving through my head which seemed to clear my mental vision and ease my concerns. I was left feeling empowered and with a sense of duty that was something bigger than my own ambition or understanding. 

I don't think it's the same thing as I get when experiencing civilization but again... Its weird because it's not me. 

Thanks for sharing