The Glory of Men is the Woman

Xavier

9 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:
14 minutes ago, Grunt said:
1 hour ago, lilscorpie said:

This isnt the 50s and as a disabled woman who cannot have kids, it is not my responsibility to help other people in my family raise their kids. I did not have them. They did. 

I'm not talking about 3rd world countries. I am talking about my own personal experience. 

You don't feel we have a responsibility to assist our brothers and sisters?

I don't think that's what she meant at all.

Sounds to me like that's exactly what she meant. The words speak for themselves.

Guest LiterateParakeet
9 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Looks like my interpretation of her comment was spot on.

I'm confused then. How much time do you spend watching other people's children?  If you don't does that mean you don't care about our brothers and sisters?  

1 minute ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I'm confused then. How much time do you spend watching other people's children?  If you don't does that mean you don't care about our brothers and sisters?  

Every time I'm asked, providing it doesn't harm my own family.

Regardless, frequency is irrelevant when your stance is you refuse to do help at all.

Edited by Grunt

Guest LiterateParakeet
5 minutes ago, Vort said:

Sounds to me like that's exactly what she meant. The words speak for themselves.

Then I extend the same question to you as Grunt. How much time do you spend watching other people's children? 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Just now, LiterateParakeet said:

I dont care for other peoples children because it is physically impossible for me to do so.  It does not mean that I dont care for my brothers and sisters. It just means that childcare is outside my physical capabilities 

1 minute ago, lilscorpie said:

I dont care for other peoples children because it is physically impossible for me to do so.  It does not mean that I dont care for my brothers and sisters. It just means that childcare is outside my physical capabilities 

"I can't" is a much different answer than your previous answer, which was "I didn't have them, they aren't my responsibility, so I won't".  That said, I have never yet met someone who worked outside the home that couldn't assist with the domestic duties of raising children.

Guest LiterateParakeet
Just now, lilscorpie said:

No worries, that question wasn't directed to you.  :)  

The way I understood this convo was simply that you said not all women will be mothers and should therefore have opportunities to work.  Which somehow turned into some here thinking if you don't want to do childcare, then you don't care about people. Seemed like a huge jump to me.

1 hour ago, lilscorpie said:

This isnt the 50s and as a disabled woman who cannot have kids, it is not my responsibility to help other people in my family raise their kids. I did not have them. They did. 

I'm not talking about 3rd world countries. I am talking about my own personal experience. 

Well, the post you replied to was about the 50’s... so...

And “I shouldn’t have to help raise kids when I didn’t have them” does not conform to Godly principles.  If you don’t want to, that’s fine.  But that’s not anymore about “being forced  to sit home and do nothing”.  You’re asked to do something, you just chose it’s not something you want to do.

No worries, that question wasn't directed to you.  :)  

The way I understood this convo was simply that you said not all women will be mothers and should therefore have opportunities to work.  Which somehow turned into some here thinking if you don't want to do childcare, then you don't care about people. Seemed like a huge jump to me.

I agree. I resent being told I dont care because I dont do childcare

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Well, the post you replied to was about the 50’s... so...

And “I shouldn’t have to help raise kids when I didn’t have them” does not conform to Godly principles.  If you don’t want to, that’s fine.  But that’s not anymore about “being forced  to sit home and do nothing”.  You’re asked to do something, you just chose it’s not something you want to do.

Noone is forced to do anything. They are not any less Godly or righteous because they cant

Just now, lilscorpie said:

Noone is forced to do anything. They are not any less Godly or righteous because they cant

Exactly my point.  You’re the one that said those who can’t have children are forced to sit home and do nothing.  Nobody is doing that.

Guest LiterateParakeet
8 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Every time I'm asked, providing it doesn't harm my own family.

Regardless, frequency is irrelevant when your stance is you refuse to do help at all

Yes, but she already clarified that she is disabled. This was not about her not caring about others. 

Yes, but she already clarified that she is disabled. This was not about her not caring about others. 

That's really irrelevant.  Again, as I pointed out, she didn't say "I'm disabled so even though I wish I could serve my family with childcare, I'm unable".  She said "I didn't have the kids.  They aren't my responsibility.  I won't help raise them."  

Just now, Grunt said:

That's really irrelevant.  Again, as I pointed out, she didn't say "I'm disabled so even though I wish I could serve my family with childcare, I'm unable".  She said "I didn't have the kids.  They aren't my responsibility.  I won't help raise them."  

A further example:  My brother calls and asks me to help him run a propane line to his new fireplace.  I say "I don't know anything about propane and don't feel comfortable.  Is there anything else I can help with?  Moving the tanks?  Installing a hearth?"   What I don't say is "I didn't buy a fireplace.  I'm not helping."

6 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

If you are saying that not doing childcare means she doesn't care about others it's relevant. 

Have you actually read the thread, LP? Because you're furiously stabbing at a straw man. To help you out, here is lilscorpie's post:

2 hours ago, lilscorpie said:

Now, what exactly is relevant about how much I have or have not taken care of other people's children?

13 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Okay, maybe this needs to be pointed out.  Just because one says she's disabled doesn't automatically conclude that she can't raise children.  It's quite diminishing to disabled people to be thought of as such.  Now, if one says, my disability prevents me from caring for children, then that's different.  My understanding of what @lilscorpie wrote is that her disability prevented her from having kids of her own, not helping other people with their children.

Edited by anatess2

Guest LiterateParakeet
15 minutes ago, Grunt said:

But this is taking her comment out of context. She said women who can't work should be able to work outside the home.  Then Anatess said women in the 50s helped other women raise their children. And lilscorpue said she doesn't want to do that. Not everyone is cut out to take care of other people's children full-time.  There's nothing wrong with that. That is my point.

Guest LiterateParakeet
11 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Okay, maybe this needs to be pointed out.  Just because one says she's disabled doesn't automatically conclude that she can't raise children.

I was only referring to lilscorpie and what she had said about her own situation.