Time Warp

Emmanuel Goldstein

I think that's a radio controlled clock. We have one in our church coffee area. It's picking up a timing signal from somewhere (the UK transmitter is in Rugby I believe) and its adjusting itself to the correct time after someone changed the battery.

Sorry to bust your bubble. The time warp theory is more fun :)

P.S. I checked, and as usual I'm in a "time-warp" of my own: the "Rugby Clock" was shut down in 2007. The current UK time signal comes from Anthorn Radio Station in Cumbria, which is run by the National Physical Laboratory (which is only about a mile from where I am now). The signal is based on two caesium clocks and is accurate to 1 part in 500,000,000,000. The North American equivalent is the WWVB station in Colorado, which is more accurate still: less than 1 part in 1,000,000,000,000. Which means you'd have to wait about 30,000 years for the time to be wrong by 1 second.

Edited by Jamie123

3 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

I think that's a radio controlled clock. We have one in our church coffee area. It's picking up a timing signal from somewhere (the UK transmitter is in Rugby I believe) and its adjusting itself to the correct time after someone changed the battery.

Sorry to bust your bubble. The time warp theory is more fun :)

P.S. I checked, and as usual I'm in a "time-warp" of my own: the "Rugby Clock" was shut down in 2007. The current UK time signal comes from Anthorn Radio Station in Cumbria, which is run by the National Physical Laboratory (which is only about a mile from where I am now). The signal is based on two caesium clocks and is accurate to 1 part in 500,000,000,000. The North American equivalent is the WWVB station in Colorado, which is more accurate still: less than 1 part in 1,000,000,000,000. Which means you'd have to wait about 30,000 years for the time to be wrong by 1 second.

Fake news does not change the fact that I am currently one day in the future. ;)

13 hours ago, Vort said:

I like to tell my children, "I have traveled through time to this moment from the year 1963 to bring you this message: Clean your room."

Usually I'm the only one laughing, but what can I say? It cracks me up.

I was going to tell a time-travelling joke, but you guys didn't like it.