April 2020 "a hinge point in the history of the Church"

There has been a lot of hype leading up to the conference that we are going to have in April. President Nelson asking the saints asking us to prepare ourselves and review our personal history with the BoM saying it will be a hinge point in the history of the church, to him pumping it up in the last conference. "next April will be different from any previous conference." "general conference next April will be not only memorable; it will be unforgettable."

What exactly can we expect to see? WHy the hype? we should be tuning in anyways right?

11 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

There has been a lot of hype leading up to the conference that we are going to have in April. President Nelson asking the saints asking us to prepare ourselves and review our personal history with the BoM saying it will be a hinge point in the history of the church, to him pumping it up in the last conference. "next April will be different from any previous conference." "general conference next April will be not only memorable; it will be unforgettable."

What exactly can we expect to see? WHy the hype? we should be tuning in anyways right?

It is an anniversary - 200 years from the first vision (which was in the spring).  One possibility may be similar to Moses returning from Mt Sinai - the first time - to which Israel proved unworthy (unprepared).

The Traveler

11 minutes ago, Traveler said:

It is an anniversary - 200 years from the first vision (which was in the spring).  One possibility may be similar to Moses returning from Mt Sinai - the first time - to which Israel proved unworthy (unprepared).

The Traveler

Did Smith's face shine in any way like Moses?

3 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I’m seeing Facebook adverts soliciting participation in a “multicultural choir” for the upcoming conference.

I suspect that the conference will be something that’s a little novel culturally/procedurally, but nothing earthshaking institutionally or theologically.  Remember, from the perspective of the Church leadership (as given by pretty much every “welcome to conference” sermon by every prophet since President Hinckley at least), every General Conference is “historic”.

I love President Nelson and try to live according to the precepts he teaches, but I’m not setting high expectations for April 2020.

3 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I suspect that nothing logistically, visually or audibly significant will occur. People looking for something mind blowing or sitting in the edge of their seat ready to be amazed probably won’t find anything too spectacular. 

I suspect those that love the gospel with a pure love, are living the gospel the best they can, follow Nelson’s challenge and watch GC looking for how to grow closer to Christ will be the only ones that will have unforgettable experiences.

I personally don’t expect to be blown away by anything because I naturally gravitate to the kind of person that is looking to be amazed when things like this come along. Regardless, I am trying to prepare myself for it.

I am of the same mind as @Just_A_Guy and @Fether

What we individual experience at this General Conference may be different for others. I remember my mission president letting us know of the first time he met with the apostles and prophet in their general assembly and training as a newly called Seventy.

He said something to this nature, "I want to tell you of what I experienced...maybe I won't...No, yes I will....better yet, I won't. I will say this, it was remarkable." How we prepare individually for this conference is more important than President Nelson's words (not that his words have no meaning).

Let me see if I can clarify properly, prophets once declared the coming of a new star, a star that had never been seen before in all the history of man. When the star appeared to some it was just another star in the sky, while to others it was the sign of the Lord's birth.

Will this conference simply be another star in the skies, or will it be something more? Only we can answer that for ourselves.

Edited by Anddenex

2 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I am hoping for a remote broadcast from the Sacred Grove. That would feel so appropriate.

I picture The twelve apostles, whole quorum of the 70, tabernacle choir, and 21,000 people seated on folding chairs in the middle of the woods.

I feel that there will be something spectacular for the Saints that are well versed with the doctrine.  President Nelson keeps using the word restoration.  

My hope...  That the 116 pages that Martin Harris lost have been found.

I expect that the D&C will get new additions.  The Living Christ & The Family a proclamation to the world.  

I would be thrilled if portions of the KFD are restored via revelation and canonized into a new section.

New Hymnal Presented.

Plus many other policy adjustments.

4 minutes ago, Grunt said:

KFD almost resulted in me not joining the church.

True, it holds deeper doctrines that if the building blocks aren't understood it does result in people not joining, or leaving. I remember a new convert sharing with me the following, "I was just baptized and on the way home from temple baptisms one of the members said, "Isn't it great that [insert KFD doctrines and principles]"? She said, "The moment I heard them I almost said, "Stop the car I am getting out. I don't want to hear such blasphemy"! She then said, but thankfully I had the Spirit and the Spirit bore witness.

15 minutes ago, Grunt said:

That's because Joseph's original audience was not Church investigators, but seasoned Church members. IIRC (and I got this wrong just recently), the so-called King Follet discourse or sermon was delivered at General Conference. If there is an example of "deep doctrine" outside the basic principles of the gospel, the King Follett sermon would certainly qualify. But I don't think it was ever intended for a general, non-LDS audience.

There are Godly truths which, if we knew them, would destroy us. They would poison our faith, just as steak and potatoes would poison a newborn. Witness the misery and breast-beating caused by the mere idea of plural marriage, a doctrine which hasn't even been a sanctioned practice in well over a century. People should not be given what they are not ready to handle. The sweet milk of gospel truths are palatable to anyone who is not actively in the bondage of Satan. Doctrines such as what some call deification are not the sweet milk of the gospel and should generally not be openly given or discussed. The mere fact that such things are true doesn't mean they're safe for spiritual infants and children. It's one of the reasons that we receive temple instruction under a strict covenant of don't-open-your-piehole.

Edited by Vort

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

That's because Joseph's original audience was not Church investigators, but seasoned Church members. IIRC (and I got this wrong just recently), the so-called King Follet discourse or sermon was delivered at General Conference. If there is an example of "deep doctrine" outside the basic principles of the gospel, the King Follett sermon would certainly qualify. But I don't think it was ever intended for a general, non-LDS audience.

There are Godly truths which, if we knew them, would destroy us. They would poison our faith, just as steak and potatoes would poison a newborn. People should not be given what they are not ready to handle. The sweet milk of gospel truths are palatable to anyone who is not actively in the bondage of Satan. Doctrines such as what some call deification are not the sweet milk of the gospel and should generally not be openly given or discussed. The mere fact that such things are true doesn't mean they're safe for spiritual infants and children. It's one of the reasons that we receive temple instruction under a strict covenant of don't-open-your-piehole.

Sure.  I had a habit of biting off more than I could chew as an investigator.  There were several things that almost kept me out of the font, but this one was one of the longest, most agonizing, and resulted in some crazy, almost unbelievable, Devine intervention to get me back on track.

55 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Yup, The brethren continue to quote it in conference.  They just don't use the terms KFD.  

Remember the documents that create the KFD are a collection of incomplete notes from 6 different sources that were taken during Joseph Smith’s April 1844, 2 hour and 15 minute general conference address.  

President Nelson could produce an inspired version that both enlightens and alleviates concerns of the incomplete manuscripts.

I bet the Book of Lehi sounds much more like the Book of Isaiah then the Book of Nephi.

Lehi was a Prophet that lived majority of his life in Jerusalem and he was a visionary man.

Nephi lived his life in the wilderness.  And he was a very pragmatic man.  Its no wonder that he glorified in plainness.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/assessment-for-learning-stem/0/steps/7332

• a hinge is a point in a lesson when you need to check if students are ready to move on, and if yes, in which direction;

• a hinge-point question is a diagnostic question that you ask your students when you reach the hinge, responses to which give you evidence about what you and your students need to do next.

A hinge is also a component of a door or a box.  Something that allows you to pass from one place to another or open a container that safely guards precious objects.

2 minutes ago, mikbone said:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/assessment-for-learning-stem/0/steps/7332

• a hinge is a point in a lesson when you need to check if students are ready to move on, and if yes, in which direction;

• a hinge-point question is a diagnostic question that you ask your students when you reach the hinge, responses to which give you evidence about what you and your students need to do next.

A hinge is also a component of a door or a box.  Something that allows you to pass from one place to another or open a container that safely guards precious objects.

A few days ago, I told my 13-year-old that I had a device that allows me to see through walls. He didn't believe me, so I showed him. He then told me that he had a device that allows him to walk through walls, to which I replied, "Of course!"