April 2020 "a hinge point in the history of the Church"

If I am understanding right, I believe on big change is that for this conference there won't be a priesthood or women's session, but a Saturday combined session, so it seems that there will be something really important said in that session (which I don't mean to say that the rest isn't important too).

22 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

Did the apostles' faces shine in any way like Moses?

The only person that comes to mind that had a dramatic experience was Saul (Paul) when he
had his encounter on the road to Damascus.  But his face was not mentioned as shining even
though he was left blind for a few days.  It is mentioned that a light shone upon or around him,
but not that he actually saw the risen Christ at that time.

I searched in the Book of Mormon and see a different reaction therein; where the countenance
of people and their garments became exceedingly white (even whiter than snow apparently) 
after Jesus smiled on them (3 Nephi 19:25,30).   What I couldn't determine is if their countenance
maintained their whiteness for the remainder of their lives.  For Moses, I recall that the shining
eventually disappeared from his face.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:42 AM, Jonah said:

Did Smith's face shine in any way like Moses?

How is this question at all related to the OP's topic?

Jonah, you should not be here on this site at all. You should most certainly never post in the LDS Gospel Discussion subforum, in which you have not evinced the least interest except to ask gotcha-style troll questions.

Why you are allowed on this forum at all is a mystery to me. But as they say, the mods' ways are not my ways.

Edited by Vort

Back to OP.  I think it could be any of the following announcements:

1. Lightening up on WoW

2. Announce plural marriage/sealings for deceased unwed women

3. Section 139 of the D&C

4. Ratify into scripture/cannonization of something like King Follet Discourse, or maybe some previously unrevealed revelation of a modern prophet (kimball/hinckley/david O)

5. Additional "translation" from the sealed portion of the BoM (maybe we are ready / maybe not)

6. My favorite idea: They finally got around to locating and translating the scroll of Joseph which was one of the manuscripts purchased by joseph when he acquired the book of Abraham and the mummies.

1 minute ago, mdfxdb said:

Back to OP.  I think it could be any of the following announcements:

1. Lightening up on WoW

No chance. It would be a disaster if it happened.

Not sure how this would work, and I don't see it having any real impact among the living.

3. Section 139 of the D&C

The Living Christ? Or The Family: A Proclamation to the World? I'd be okay with either or both. 140 is a nice, round number of sections.

IMO, the KF sermon is unlikely to be included in the canon of scripture, both because of its esoteric content and its unofficial, cobbled-together nature. But I wouldn't necessarily object.

5. Additional "translation" from the sealed portion of the BoM (maybe we are ready / maybe not)

This would be beyond awesome. I doubt it will ever happen in my lifetime. I think it's a Millennial sort of thing.

6. My favorite idea: They finally got around to locating and translating the scroll of Joseph which was one of the manuscripts purchased by joseph when he acquired the book of Abraham and the mummies.

Another beyond-awesome thing that I doubt will ever happen in my lifetime, and probably not until Christ returns.

My bishop, a week or two after the conference in October shared an insight he had.

He said, he believed that the April 2020 general conference will end up being painfully average to those who didn't prepare for it.

I believe him. I'm not expecting any major announcements, any canonizations, or anything tangible to the 5 senses. I think that at the very least, all that is new or unique about it will be purely spiritual.

Don't get your hopes up for anything sensational. Just do your part to prepare instead.

Edited by Moonbeast32

On 1/16/2020 at 3:09 PM, Fether said:

I picture The twelve apostles, whole quorum of the 70, tabernacle choir, and 21,000 people seated on folding chairs in the middle of the woods.

Sarcasm aside, you will notice I said, "Remote Broadcast?"

They did the same thing in April 1980 from New York. It would broadcast to the Conference Center, probably Sunday AM, if it is done at all.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:51 AM, mikbone said:

I feel that there will be something spectacular for the Saints that are well versed with the doctrine.  President Nelson keeps using the word restoration.  

My hope...  That the 116 pages that Martin Harris lost have been found.

I expect that the D&C will get new additions.  The Living Christ & The Family a proclamation to the world.  

I would be thrilled if portions of the KFD are restored via revelation and canonized into a new section.

New Hymnal Presented.

Plus many other policy adjustments.

-Even if the 116 pages are found they would need to scan them through X-ray microtomography to find the changes created by those who stole them.

-The proclamations would probably become Official declarations 3 and 4.

-New sections could be some of the unpublished revelations from Joseph, Brigham and others.

-The Hymns, probably next year.

On 1/17/2020 at 11:06 AM, Anddenex said:

True, it holds deeper doctrines that if the building blocks aren't understood it does result in people not joining, or leaving.

Why does the King Follett Discourse have this effect?  And what building blocks (if understood) have the effect
of making the KFD more palatable?

21 minutes ago, Jonah said:

Why does the King Follett Discourse have this effect?  And what building blocks (if understood) have the effect

If somebody is coming from a Creedal background, which from the LDS Christian viewpoint isn't doesn't always have things correct, then they misunderstand the KFD due to those Creedal teachings. 

27 minutes ago, Jonah said:

3 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

If somebody is coming from a Creedal background, which from the LDS Christian viewpoint isn't doesn't always have things correct, then they misunderstand the KFD due to those Creedal teachings. 

Adding:

In that regard, it is no different than any other class lecture aimed at people whom are already familiar with the basic material.  It is when people (especially those with a I-want-to-smear-things-agenda) try to skip that foundational understanding (example in this case: Christ and His love/power for His disciples) and just throw in later information.  That's no the Lord's way of doing things.

A classic example of anti-Catholics doing this would be the "Catholics teach that we should be cannibles!" trope (I can't roll my eyes big enough at that).  

Does that make sense @Jonah?

On 1/17/2020 at 3:08 PM, mdfxdb said:

This won't happen until the millennium. Unwed women and children who died before they marital age will have the opportunity to get to know the opposite sex and become acquainted with them. As they become acquainted they will choose a companion (who obviously will choose them) and in the millennium we will be informed of their decision and we will seal them to the spouse of their choice. We aren't here to seal them to someone they wouldn't have chosen for themselves.

Edited by Anddenex

On 1/19/2020 at 2:41 PM, Jane_Doe said:

Adding:

In that regard, it is no different than any other class lecture aimed at people whom are already familiar with the basic material.  It is when people (especially those with a I-want-to-smear-things-agenda) try to skip that foundational understanding (example in this case: Christ and His love/power for His disciples) and just throw in later information.  That's no the Lord's way of doing things.

A classic example of anti-Catholics doing this would be the "Catholics teach that we should be cannibles!" trope (I can't roll my eyes big enough at that).  

Does that make sense @Jonah?

Yes. Thanks 

11 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

That was a ... short response.... 

I do hear that complaint ... that we we are cannibals because we are actually eating the body
of Christ (as opposed to the priest who drinks the blood and eats the body). I differ in that
i view John 6:54-56 as spiritual; the Jews took it as literally.

2 minutes ago, Jonah said:

I do hear that complaint ... that we we are cannibals because we are actually eating the body
of Christ (as opposed to the priest who drinks the blood and eats the body). I differ in that
i view John 6:54-56 as spiritual; the Jews took it as literally.

I totally acknowledge that.

But... honestly I put a lot of thought and time into my response to you, and when I get a <=2 words answer it feels... like things are just going one way here.  It's nice to talk WITH people.  I'm not here to talk to myself.

Edited by Jane_Doe

Just now, Jane_Doe said:

I totally acknowledge that.

But... honestly I put a lot of thought and time into my response to you, and when I get a <=2 words answer it feels... like things are just going one way here.  It's nice to talk WITH people.

Sorry about that. Will try to do better.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm expecting that at the next conference, we will hear divinely inspired counsel from God's living oracle on the earth and from his two counsellors, and also from the 12 living apostles. What more do you want? What more do you need?

Aspects of this thread remind me of both 3rd Nephi 2:1 and 3rd Nephi 8: 

AND it came to pass that thus passed away the ninety and fifth year also, and the people began to forget those signs and wonders which they had heard, and began to be less and less astonished at a sign or a wonder from heaven, 
(Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 2:1)

3  And the people began to look with great earnestness for the sign which had been given by the prophet 
(Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 8:3)